The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New scan results – perforated synovium?

Forums General Melanoma Community New scan results – perforated synovium?

Participant

When I did my PET/CT scan a few weeks ago before my lymph node surgery, they said there was a spot on my knee. At the time we were busy with other things and said we'd check on it later. Yesterday I had an MRI of said knee and my onc called today with the results. I have a "perforated synovium" which is a perforation of the lining around my knee. Apparently people who play sports tend to get this injury, and I'm SO not a sports person. I have no clue how my knee got like this, it doesn't even hurt. I haven't had any injury to it that I can remember.

When I did my PET/CT scan a few weeks ago before my lymph node surgery, they said there was a spot on my knee. At the time we were busy with other things and said we'd check on it later. Yesterday I had an MRI of said knee and my onc called today with the results. I have a "perforated synovium" which is a perforation of the lining around my knee. Apparently people who play sports tend to get this injury, and I'm SO not a sports person. I have no clue how my knee got like this, it doesn't even hurt. I haven't had any injury to it that I can remember. The onc said he was referring me to an ortho doc, who would probably want to do some kind of surgical procedure to make sure it's not Melanoma related. Sounds like a biopsy to me. Anyone ever heard of this??

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Greg – Kyles dad
        Participant

I am a physical therapist and I have never heard of this.  From my limited knowledge of melanoma, I have not heard of this in that realm either.  Certainly pursue the orthopedic evaluation to see what this is, but I would not get too worried about it.

Greg

Greg – Kyles dad
          Participant

I am a physical therapist and I have never heard of this.  From my limited knowledge of melanoma, I have not heard of this in that realm either.  Certainly pursue the orthopedic evaluation to see what this is, but I would not get too worried about it.

Greg

lhaley
            Participant

One of the issues with the different types of scans is they find all sorts of abnormalities in our body and then they have to rule out melanoma. The average person has these things also, they just don't know about them!!  One test seems to lead to another, that's why some institutions don't scan stage 3 unless there are symptoms.

Get it checked out but don't worry about this.

Linda

Stage IV since 06

lhaley
              Participant

One of the issues with the different types of scans is they find all sorts of abnormalities in our body and then they have to rule out melanoma. The average person has these things also, they just don't know about them!!  One test seems to lead to another, that's why some institutions don't scan stage 3 unless there are symptoms.

Get it checked out but don't worry about this.

Linda

Stage IV since 06

MichaelFL
                Participant

If it has not and is not bothering you, who knows when this could have happened.

I am not a doctor, but I seriously doubt this is in any way melanoma related. And as you are now aware, scans pick up all kinds of things.

Michael

MichaelFL
                  Participant

If it has not and is not bothering you, who knows when this could have happened.

I am not a doctor, but I seriously doubt this is in any way melanoma related. And as you are now aware, scans pick up all kinds of things.

Michael

Janner
                    Participant

This is probably something you were born with, or happened when you were young.  It doesn't really matter that you remember it happening or not.  If you are NOT having symptoms, I'd refuse anything surgical.  Being the recipient of 8 knees surgeries (4 each knee including replacements), I've found that anytime they try to repair things, other things get disturbed.  I am not a fan of knee surgery without having some definite reason.  Talk to the ortho guy, but remember – surgeons like to cut.  If it hasn't bothered you to date, why worry about it now.  And the odds that it is related to melanoma are extremely unlikely.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                      Participant

This is probably something you were born with, or happened when you were young.  It doesn't really matter that you remember it happening or not.  If you are NOT having symptoms, I'd refuse anything surgical.  Being the recipient of 8 knees surgeries (4 each knee including replacements), I've found that anytime they try to repair things, other things get disturbed.  I am not a fan of knee surgery without having some definite reason.  Talk to the ortho guy, but remember – surgeons like to cut.  If it hasn't bothered you to date, why worry about it now.  And the odds that it is related to melanoma are extremely unlikely.

Best wishes,

Janner

Rendergirl
                        Participant

I went to the orthopedic oncologist today and apparently it is a tumor in the back of my knee. They did an x-ray on site to confirm. He said the odds of it being Melanoma are very low, but he suggests I have surgery to have it removed. That will be four surgeries in less than 3 months. He said I could just wait and recheck it with an MRI in 3 months, but he said if it was him, he'd want it out to make sure it wasn't cancer. With my history now of having cancer, better safe than sorry. I will call on Monday and agree to the surgery although I'm not happy about it. He will be giving me a shot in my lower back, a nerve back near my sciatic to numb my right leg. That's the part I'm scared of…lol. Anyone ever had a nerve block? Did it hurt?

Thanks for the info and advice, you guys are awesome.

Rendergirl
                          Participant

I went to the orthopedic oncologist today and apparently it is a tumor in the back of my knee. They did an x-ray on site to confirm. He said the odds of it being Melanoma are very low, but he suggests I have surgery to have it removed. That will be four surgeries in less than 3 months. He said I could just wait and recheck it with an MRI in 3 months, but he said if it was him, he'd want it out to make sure it wasn't cancer. With my history now of having cancer, better safe than sorry. I will call on Monday and agree to the surgery although I'm not happy about it. He will be giving me a shot in my lower back, a nerve back near my sciatic to numb my right leg. That's the part I'm scared of…lol. Anyone ever had a nerve block? Did it hurt?

Thanks for the info and advice, you guys are awesome.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics