The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New Non-Invasive Melanoma Test?

Forums General Melanoma Community New Non-Invasive Melanoma Test?

Participant

I had an annual skin check recently and the doctor saw a large, flat, slight disolored spot on my face that has been there for many years and has been examined annualy by dermatologists (not this one) for many years. There has been no apparent change to my knowledge. No one ever recommended biopsy. This doctor said there is a new test by Dermtech. This test examines for gene expressions related to melanoma. The test involved using several pieces of special adhesive tape and putting them on and puling the off the spot. A while later, I got a call from thne doctor's office saying one of the two gene expressoin tests was "positive for melanoma" and I should schedule an excision biopsy at their office to be followed two days later by a wider incision "if the biopsy does not get it all." I know nothing about any of this. This test shows up on the internet largely in promotions for Dermtech and there are only two research studies validating the test. What do you think? My own uneducated thoughts are that if this test is as good as it claims to be, everyone would be using it. But I can't find any references to it other than what I have just mentioned.  Anyone ever heard of or had this test? Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated whether you have had the test or not! Thanks in advance.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Aloha14
        Participant

Hi George,

This is the first I've heard about this test however I've only just been diagnosed with Melanoma a few weeks ago. Sounds interesting. At least you know quickly that it is or isn't Melanoma. 

Aloha14
          Participant

Hi George,

This is the first I've heard about this test however I've only just been diagnosed with Melanoma a few weeks ago. Sounds interesting. At least you know quickly that it is or isn't Melanoma. 

Curious George
              Participant

Thanks! But I am wondering if the test is valid or even could be valid. It seems to me that if it really can diagnose melanoma, why wouldn't everyone use it. It is cheap, painless, non-invasive and could avoid a lot of needless biopsies. In my case, I assume that it is correct, but am concerned about having a biopsy based solely upon the test. Without this test, neither of my doctors said they would have had any concern and none of my former doctors had any concern. Of course, with this result, I feel compelled to have the excision. But I remain skeptical and hope it is a false positive. 

ed williams
                Participant

Well curious george since you are new to the forum maybe if you gave us a little background of your situation, like where you are being treated and who your oncologist is would be helpfull. There tend to be a lot of scams on Cancer web sites and I wouldn't want you to be a victum of a scam medical practice. Best Wishes!!!Ed

ed williams
                  Participant

Well curious george since you are new to the forum maybe if you gave us a little background of your situation, like where you are being treated and who your oncologist is would be helpfull. There tend to be a lot of scams on Cancer web sites and I wouldn't want you to be a victum of a scam medical practice. Best Wishes!!!Ed

ed williams
                    Participant

ed williams
                      Participant

ed williams
                        Participant

ed williams
                          Participant

ed williams
                            Participant

ed williams
                              Participant

ed williams
                                Participant

Sorry about the triple reply!!!!

Curious George
                                  Participant

Thanks, Ed! The doctor (dermatologist) is legitimate and he uses the test. I am just suprised that so little is known about the test.  It seems amazing to me that you can put a piece of adhesive tape on someone's face, pull it off, analyze it and say they have melanoma. From reading this wonderful website I get the idea that there is a lot more to it than that. I thought this was just to see if you needed a biopsy but they said the test was" positive for melanoma." I will report more as I learn. Thanks again.

Curious George
                                    Participant

Thanks, Ed! The doctor (dermatologist) is legitimate and he uses the test. I am just suprised that so little is known about the test.  It seems amazing to me that you can put a piece of adhesive tape on someone's face, pull it off, analyze it and say they have melanoma. From reading this wonderful website I get the idea that there is a lot more to it than that. I thought this was just to see if you needed a biopsy but they said the test was" positive for melanoma." I will report more as I learn. Thanks again.

Curious George
                                      Participant

ed williams
                                        Participant

ed williams
                                          Participant

ed williams
                                            Participant

Curious George
                                              Participant

Thanks! But I am wondering if the test is valid or even could be valid. It seems to me that if it really can diagnose melanoma, why wouldn't everyone use it. It is cheap, painless, non-invasive and could avoid a lot of needless biopsies. In my case, I assume that it is correct, but am concerned about having a biopsy based solely upon the test. Without this test, neither of my doctors said they would have had any concern and none of my former doctors had any concern. Of course, with this result, I feel compelled to have the excision. But I remain skeptical and hope it is a false positive. 

Curious George
                                                Participant

Aloha14
                                                Participant

Hi George,

jennunicorn
                                                  Participant

I have never heard of this. I think your gut feeling is right on point.. I would take this all with a grain of salt. Sometimes doctors get sucked into new drugs or tests from pharmecutical companies and they get a little bit of incentive to do these tests or prescribe certain drugs… even if they don't do anything beneficial. Honestly, I would get a second opinion about the spot with another dermatologist. I may only be a year into my diagnosis…. but I've been all over the web for melanoma and read a lot of studies and research…. and nothing I have ever come accross would suggest one can take some kind of special adhesive tape and be able to tell anything from it. 

jennunicorn
                                                    Participant

I have never heard of this. I think your gut feeling is right on point.. I would take this all with a grain of salt. Sometimes doctors get sucked into new drugs or tests from pharmecutical companies and they get a little bit of incentive to do these tests or prescribe certain drugs… even if they don't do anything beneficial. Honestly, I would get a second opinion about the spot with another dermatologist. I may only be a year into my diagnosis…. but I've been all over the web for melanoma and read a lot of studies and research…. and nothing I have ever come accross would suggest one can take some kind of special adhesive tape and be able to tell anything from it. 

jennunicorn
                                                      Participant

dvd
                                                        Participant

George – 

I took a quick look at their website and, without a lot of fact-finding, it appears that the concept of assays for these specific gene expressions does have some validity. However, as sensitive as the assay may be, it is not too specific. Over 30% of positive results were from non-melanoma lesions. I am not a biochemist, nor a statistician, so I am not qualified to fully assess their data, but I do have a science background, and the clinical data supporting the promotion of this for clinical diagnosis appears, to me, needs to be greatly expanded.

Although it is a secondary way of assessing validity of new technology in medicine, (and some feel it has an inherent negative bias) one can look at whether or not Medicare reimburses for a specific procedure. The Agency for Health Care Quality and Research maintains a Technology Assessment center which advises CMS on evidence-based outcomes. If it's not reimbursed my Medicare, most medical insurance companies follow suit. This is just an indicator – not always a true determination of effectiveness.

None of this is perfect and this is another demonstration of the fact that the US does not have a "Health Care System," we have a "Health Care Market." One can argue for or against this situation and it has advantages and disadvantages, but the incentive is to get something "out there" in the marketplace and make a profit. This seems to be a product hoping to become standard of care, but, I think, has quite a ways to go…

DVD

dvd
                                                          Participant

George – 

I took a quick look at their website and, without a lot of fact-finding, it appears that the concept of assays for these specific gene expressions does have some validity. However, as sensitive as the assay may be, it is not too specific. Over 30% of positive results were from non-melanoma lesions. I am not a biochemist, nor a statistician, so I am not qualified to fully assess their data, but I do have a science background, and the clinical data supporting the promotion of this for clinical diagnosis appears, to me, needs to be greatly expanded.

Although it is a secondary way of assessing validity of new technology in medicine, (and some feel it has an inherent negative bias) one can look at whether or not Medicare reimburses for a specific procedure. The Agency for Health Care Quality and Research maintains a Technology Assessment center which advises CMS on evidence-based outcomes. If it's not reimbursed my Medicare, most medical insurance companies follow suit. This is just an indicator – not always a true determination of effectiveness.

None of this is perfect and this is another demonstration of the fact that the US does not have a "Health Care System," we have a "Health Care Market." One can argue for or against this situation and it has advantages and disadvantages, but the incentive is to get something "out there" in the marketplace and make a profit. This seems to be a product hoping to become standard of care, but, I think, has quite a ways to go…

DVD

dvd
                                                            Participant

George – 

DVD

Curious George
                                                                Participant

Thanks DVD! What a great, smart group and empathic group this is! You, Ed and Jenn have summarized and understood my concerns better than I did. I try to be an informed consumer of medical care but I have no experience in this area and this really scared me.I guess I will have the excision and hope for the best.

Curious George
                                                                  Participant

Thanks DVD! What a great, smart group and empathic group this is! You, Ed and Jenn have summarized and understood my concerns better than I did. I try to be an informed consumer of medical care but I have no experience in this area and this really scared me.I guess I will have the excision and hope for the best.

Curious George
                                                                    Participant

blessd4x
                                                                    Participant

Theres a story about that test on WebMd.  Its legit. Not sure why its not used more.

blessd4x
                                                                      Participant

Theres a story about that test on WebMd.  Its legit. Not sure why its not used more.

jennunicorn
                                                                          Participant

That article is from 2011…. and it is still not something anyone has heard of and no good dermatologist is using… so makes you wonder… does it really work? When there's a bigger study done, not just the small one the company did, then maybe it would be worth trusting. We would all love a little tape test instead of getting cut up!

jennunicorn
                                                                            Participant

That article is from 2011…. and it is still not something anyone has heard of and no good dermatologist is using… so makes you wonder… does it really work? When there's a bigger study done, not just the small one the company did, then maybe it would be worth trusting. We would all love a little tape test instead of getting cut up!

Curious George
                                                                              Participant

I had the excisional biopsy today based soley upon this test. I was reluctant, given the paucity of empirircal data on the test. Doctor said they had been using it only about three months and thus far all the postitives had all been diagnosed as melanoma in situ upon actual biopsy. He did not give any numbers. He did not seem concerned and said that this is "probably" what I have. I will find out in a couplel of days. I remain fearful but hope he is right. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Curious George
                                                                                Participant

I had the excisional biopsy today based soley upon this test. I was reluctant, given the paucity of empirircal data on the test. Doctor said they had been using it only about three months and thus far all the postitives had all been diagnosed as melanoma in situ upon actual biopsy. He did not give any numbers. He did not seem concerned and said that this is "probably" what I have. I will find out in a couplel of days. I remain fearful but hope he is right. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Curious George
                                                                                  Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                                    Participant

blessd4x
                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics