The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New melanoma on chest after 30 months

Forums General Melanoma Community New melanoma on chest after 30 months

I am stage IV and close to NED on the GSK BRAF/MEK trial for 30 months. Had a spot on my chest and they biopsied it as melanoma, not just an atypical nevus. Now they will get out the ice cream scooper scapel and carve it out to check on its depth etc. I guess this combo doesn’t stop a new growth but it sure kicks hell out of the tumors when they can get at them. Do I have this right?

I am stage IV and close to NED on the GSK BRAF/MEK trial for 30 months. Had a spot on my chest and they biopsied it as melanoma, not just an atypical nevus. Now they will get out the ice cream scooper scapel and carve it out to check on its depth etc. I guess this combo doesn’t stop a new growth but it sure kicks hell out of the tumors when they can get at them. Do I have this right?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Replies
      Janner
      Participant

So this is a new primary?  Since new primaries are independent of all other melanoma, I guess it is possible to grow a new one while on therapy.  Sucks, but hopefully doesn't change anything status wise for treatment – especially if it is shallow.  Do you know the depth, etc?

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
        Participant

So this is a new primary?  Since new primaries are independent of all other melanoma, I guess it is possible to grow a new one while on therapy.  Sucks, but hopefully doesn't change anything status wise for treatment – especially if it is shallow.  Do you know the depth, etc?

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

NYKaren
            Participant
              Hi, JPMM,
              Yes, as I recently discovered from both my Sloan docs, and I found it in the literature, this is how it works. It defies logic, right? Shouldn’t the drugs kick this one’s butt too?
              I’m sorry you have to go through this; hopefully the scooper/scalpel will do the trick.
              Karen
              NYKaren
              Participant
                Hi, JPMM,
                Yes, as I recently discovered from both my Sloan docs, and I found it in the literature, this is how it works. It defies logic, right? Shouldn’t the drugs kick this one’s butt too?
                I’m sorry you have to go through this; hopefully the scooper/scalpel will do the trick.
                Karen
                NYKaren
                Participant
                  Hi, JPMM,
                  Karen
                  POW
                  Participant

Gosh darn it! I can tell that you are keeping your cool about this, but it is definitely dismaying! I'm sorry that your anxiety level got ramped up again. I will definitely pray that this is a new primary and that you caught it early. Congratulations on your vigilance!

By the way, I read a theory (only a theory, mind you) to explain why some tumors regress with a given treatment and other tumors don't. The theory is that different melanoma tumors in the body can have different genetic sequences. This theory also posits that different cells within one tumor can have different genetic sequences, thereby explaining why some tumors shrink at first but then become resistant and grow. I wonder if your doctors would test this new lesion for the BRAF mutation. If it turns out to be wild type BRAF, that would explain why this tumor popped up even though you  are taking BRAF/MEK. Such information could be very helpful to you and your doctors when making future treatment decisions. 

POW
                    Participant

Gosh darn it! I can tell that you are keeping your cool about this, but it is definitely dismaying! I'm sorry that your anxiety level got ramped up again. I will definitely pray that this is a new primary and that you caught it early. Congratulations on your vigilance!

By the way, I read a theory (only a theory, mind you) to explain why some tumors regress with a given treatment and other tumors don't. The theory is that different melanoma tumors in the body can have different genetic sequences. This theory also posits that different cells within one tumor can have different genetic sequences, thereby explaining why some tumors shrink at first but then become resistant and grow. I wonder if your doctors would test this new lesion for the BRAF mutation. If it turns out to be wild type BRAF, that would explain why this tumor popped up even though you  are taking BRAF/MEK. Such information could be very helpful to you and your doctors when making future treatment decisions. 

POW
                      Participant

Harry in Fair Oaks
                        Participant

I'm right behind you at 25 months on the drugs.  I bet that POW is right – that this new primary does not have the BRAF mutation.  But I'm also betting that it was spotted early and will give you no grief after it's removed.  Our trial requires us to strip to our shorts every 8 weeks and have the derm do the checking, so I'm sure it didn't get a chance to go deep.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                          Participant

I'm right behind you at 25 months on the drugs.  I bet that POW is right – that this new primary does not have the BRAF mutation.  But I'm also betting that it was spotted early and will give you no grief after it's removed.  Our trial requires us to strip to our shorts every 8 weeks and have the derm do the checking, so I'm sure it didn't get a chance to go deep.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                            Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics