The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New here, third time to have melanoma diagnosis

Forums General Melanoma Community New here, third time to have melanoma diagnosis

Participant

Just got my pathology results yesterday. Confirmed melanoma and this is my 3rd time, three different spots. Doc thinks it’s “in situ” as the other two have been but of course we will know for sure after he removes it. QUESTION: should I ask for a lymph node biopsy just to be on the safe side, since these melanomas keep popping up on my body? I’ve been feeling unwell lately and I’m concerned that maybe my doctors have missed something. I’ve never had any nodes checked before. 

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jamie1960
        Participant

I'm in a similar position, with three WLEs, but only one SLNB (out of an abundace of care due to mitotic rate and regression, which made accurate assessment of depth difficult).

I'd say, if in doubt, cut, particularly if there is any concern about accuracy of staging / depth due to regression or other factors.

Sarahprince22
            Participant

Thank you so much for responding! 

Jamie1960
              Participant

PS –

On the SLNB, the only real difference (since WLE should be in an OR anyway) is general versus local anesthetic. If your doctor is willing, have it done and get the peace of mind you may be looking for.

I have NO medical training whatsoever, but firmly believe that, once melanoma is in you, it is "in you" (some recent research suggests the possibility of dermal "migration" above and beyond genetic predisposition, etc.).

To my mind, there is no "win", "beating it", etc., but, rather, success (call it "peaceful coexistence") by staying ahead of it through vigilance and aggressive treatment of anything which, reasonably, causes you concern.

My team punch-biopsies anything they believe to be suspect.

90% of the time, it's just a Band Aid with no follow through needed; this said, it makes me feel a lot better and you may as well. Once in a while, we cut, and I am grateful as I know you are too.

Sarahprince22
                Participant

You have no idea how much you’ve helped me. I am without health insurance right now, so the surgeon offered to do the procedure right in his office (to save me money). I’ve had this surgery twice before and I cannot imagine going thru it with no sedation at all. I agree it should be done in an OR.  Also, I’ve never, including this time, been made aware of what exactly my pathology report says. I’m learning from this forum that it’s important to educate ourselves and know what the details are on the labs! 

Viewing 0 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics