The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New here, looking for advice

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community New here, looking for advice

Participant

Hello. Im F 25 and I was just looking for some advice. I developed a new mark on the tip of my toe atleast a year+ ago (I cant remember when exactly I first noticed it). It didnt seem to change until I picked at it thinking it could be a pen mark and formed a wound. Since its healed it seems to have increased in size. I spoke to several derms online and visited my gp and a derm in person, all of which have said it is fine. My concern is – can Melanoma often be missed using the dermascope? I have health anxiety so have spent alot of my time reading up on acral melanoma and I know how dangerous it is. I also read that new marks, ones which had changed or those over 7mm should be excised regardless of dermascope findings. Mine is all of those. It doesnt seem to be actively changing now which brings me to my other question – would Melanoma constantly evolve? Or does it reach a point where it can extend under the skin while the surface isnt changing as much anymore. 

Thanks so much in advance. Just wanting some other perspectives as I cant always trust my own opinions due to the anxiety 🙁 I was going to ask for it remove for peace of mind but she didn’t want to due to the location and risk of morbidity. 

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Ask for a punch biopsy and put your mind at rest, little risk of morbidity with small sample to see it there is anything going on. Best Wishes!!!Ed  You will find that people respond faster to a post with a name (letters, symbols  #'s) any thing other than anon!!!

Cooper
            Participant

Hi,  Ed is right that a biopsy is the best way to find out, but NOT a punch biopsy, they don't get proper margins.  Either a deep shave or excisional biopsy is best.  Read more here: https://melanomainternational.org/melanoma-facts/biopsy-the-first-step

Good luck to you!  

jennunicorn
              Participant

Punch biopsies are definitely ok to do if the size of the mole is not too wide. Shaves, even "deep" ones are known to bisect lesions way more than punches. Excisional are great but most derms won't do them since it takes more time out of their day. 

Go to a derm, get it biopsied, and most likely it could be nothing. But, always stand up for your feelings if they are telling you it needs biopsy, demand it from the derm or find one that will.

ed williams
                Participant

Dear Anon, if he/she is worried about morbidity caused by taking too much tissue then a punch would be a safe fast way to calm her/his nerves.

Bubbles
                  Participant

Excellent points, Jenn and Ed!!  Good luck, Anon #1.  celeste

Viewing 0 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics