The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New here and scared

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community New here and scared

Participant

Hi everyone,

My husband has had a mole on the back of his arm for over 20 years. Never paid much attention to it. 2 weeks ago he show it to me and tells me it has grown a lump and is itching. I took one look at it and freaked! We made an appt to see a mohs derm and went in Monday 08/06/18. The Doctor took a sample and said that he would send it for pathology report. He also made it clear that it is deffinatley Melanoma and in his opinion he would not be able to peform the surgey himself and once we recieve the pathology report he would be referring us to an oncologist surgeon.We are waiting for the results of the report and are pretty scared! I sure wish the results would come in! If I knew how to post a pic I could show you why Derm says it is melanoma just by looking at it.

Thanks.

Karen

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kfred
        Participant

Well, My profile pic is the pic of the "mole"

kcmtnbiker
          Participant

I fully understand your fears. Melanoma is pretty scary. I have been under treatment for over 6 years and have had many ups and downs. Currently it is stage 4, but under control and shrinking with Opdivo. With the new classes of drugs that are available there are several paths that you will have available for treatment. The strides that have been taken since I started down this road are remarkable to say the least. Being the ever optomistic type, I have just adopted a goldnedoodle puppy. So, I need to hang around for at least another 15 years, for her. 🙂 Then today I pickup my new electric assist mountain bike. I love to ride the trails. The reason I tell you all of this is that you don't have to stop living. My opinion is that this is an opportunity to live life more fully. Good luck on your journey and I hope the doctor is wrong. Mine was wrong when he said "it's nothing" and it was melanoma so I didn't get treatment for several years.. At least your doctor is being agressive. It is very important to get started early.

Kfred
              Participant

Thank you for the reply! Yes, I am currently seeking employment and I asked the Dr what I should do in his opinion as I would hate to start a new job if he will need me to help him get to his treatments. The Dr just said to keep living life as normal, so that's what we are trying to do. I made my possible empoyers aware of the situation and they are ok with it since I wasup front with them. We have no idea the stage or what's ahead, but that thing is ugly, no doubt about it. We are praying things turn out ok no matter what the future holds. One day at a time.

MelanomaMike
                Participant

Hello kFred, im Mike, stage4 in both lungs my primary was in left leg {diagnosed 2008} had 6 different surgeries since with no need for chemo/Immunal therapies till last year when it crashed through my Lymphatic RoadBlock into my lungs, no sweat, been doing Imuunal Therapy since Nov2017 im still here! look for work honey if yer willing, yer hubby is gunna have to Warrior up & get his butt to them infusions like the rest of us Soldiers, iv never been driven to one yet, i drive just fine afterwards, now, im speaking on behalf of Immunal Therapies, Keytruda, Opdivo, Yervoy yada yada yada…And yes, Melanoma is ugly, 3 of my 6 tumors on my leg reared its ugly face through my skin, bleeding, crusty, ulcerating painful evilness…It can be treated, just dont count on a cure, pray for your husbands prolonged life..i was diag in 2008 & im still standing….Mike

Kfred
                  Participant

Thank you! He is as tough as they come! I see so many of you are still here! Thank God for that. I am praying for his treatments to prolong his life and for all of you. Whatever treatments that may be. We have not a clue of that yet. 

Kfred
                    Participant

Thank you! He is as tough as they come! I see so many of you are still here! Thank God for that. I am praying for his treatments to prolong his life and for all of you. Whatever treatments that may be. We have not a clue of that yet. 

GreggL
                    Participant

Hi Karen,

My melanoma began with a mole that I had my entire life as well. The mole itself didn't itch but the skin around it was itching constantly. Unfortunately, I put it off for awhile because I was in a private college at the time that was really strict about missing days. By the time I finally made it to the doctor for a biopsy it was stage III. This was in Feb 2014. First line of defense at the time was a chemo called Interferon and when it was all said and done it was 152 doses. It was extremely hard on me and I always drove myself to the hospital and usually to the gym afterwards. That medicine did not work and within 4 months my cancer spread to my right lung. They removed a portion of my lung in 2016. At that time I started on an immunotherapy called Opdivo/Nivolumab and it is so much easier then the previous drug. Most of the drugs used now as a first line of defense are much more tolerable. I think you will be fine starting a new job and I'm quite certain you won't have to tend to your husband, even though I'm sure you will want to. I just did a treatment this past Wednesday and went to the gym right after to lift weights and do an hour of cardio. Good luck.

MelanomaMike
                        Participant

Oh Ya Greg? after "my"  infusion today, i did 42 cartwheels through the parking structure towards my car AND, AND still walked back to collect all the crap that fell out my pockets…smiley

Kfred
                          Participant

Thank you! I am so glad I found you all! You give me hope! I'm starting to believe that this is not a death sentence and he can live a long life even with this nasty beast. I will post results of pathology report when we get it. 

GreggL
                          Participant

Hi Karen,

My melanoma began with a mole that I had my entire life as well. The mole itself didn't itch but the skin around it was itching constantly. Unfortunately, I put it off for awhile because I was in a private college at the time that was really strict about missing days. By the time I finally made it to the doctor for a biopsy it was stage III. This was in Feb 2014. First line of defense at the time was a chemo called Interferon and when it was all said and done it was 152 doses. It was extremely hard on me and I always drove myself to the hospital and usually to the gym afterwards. That medicine did not work and within 4 months my cancer spread to my right lung. They removed a portion of my lung in 2016. At that time I started on an immunotherapy called Opdivo/Nivolumab and it is so much easier then the previous drug. Most of the drugs used now as a first line of defense are much more tolerable. I think you will be fine starting a new job and I'm quite certain you won't have to tend to your husband, even though I'm sure you will want to. I just did a treatment this past Wednesday and went to the gym right after to lift weights and do an hour of cardio. Good luck.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics