The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New here again! (I was very active on the old mpip.org forums, way back when)~random comment about my daughter’s school.

Forums General Melanoma Community New here again! (I was very active on the old mpip.org forums, way back when)~random comment about my daughter’s school.

Participant

Hi!   My name is Erin….. short story, have had one Stage 1 and two in situ's over the past 14 yrs.   I'm now a mom of 2 kids, a 4 y/o and a 15 mo old, and living in Arizona.  (Way back yonder when I was very active on mpip, I was living in Seattle).    I went to pick my 4 y/o daughter up from preschool yesterday, and she did not have her pricey Coolio hat on…..realized she was sunburned from scalp to arms.   Her school KNOWS to apply sunscreen after lunch all over her, and to wear her hat.

Hi!   My name is Erin….. short story, have had one Stage 1 and two in situ's over the past 14 yrs.   I'm now a mom of 2 kids, a 4 y/o and a 15 mo old, and living in Arizona.  (Way back yonder when I was very active on mpip, I was living in Seattle).    I went to pick my 4 y/o daughter up from preschool yesterday, and she did not have her pricey Coolio hat on…..realized she was sunburned from scalp to arms.   Her school KNOWS to apply sunscreen after lunch all over her, and to wear her hat.   I was so incredibly ticked off when I came home and recognized her scalp's burn.   I went straight away to her headmaster and her 2 teachers this morning, who gave me the "oh, I couldn't find her hat (bull), and forgot to put on the sunscreen (when there's a note on the door saying to apply sunscreen….WTF.)  "You want her to wear the hat even if it's 60?"  HE-LLO.   

So I know this note is totally random and doesn't have anything to do with me (my last in situ was 5 yrs ago; I still get mole mapped yearly and see my melanoma doc here twice a year.)   I was VERY lucky I knew/know what cancerous moles looked like, and that I had the first one removed when I did.  (That was a freak show….senior in college in Cleveland (hence, Allison Vidimos/CCF as my doc; still consider her my doc), had mono in the spring, was supposed to go to Ireland for spring break…..instead, went home, begged my mom to drag me to the derm to have the mole removed (even though I was in bed basically immobile.)   Voila- stage 1.   

Now that I have my own kids, I'm a freak about sun protection.   My friends (well, some) look @ me that my child(ren) wear long sleeved/legged swimwear everywhere instead of cutsie bikinis.   Grrr. 

Needed a real outlet to vent….. I'm totally type A when it comes to melanoma.  (I sent my dads friend to a derm 7 or 8 yrs ago to look @ a mole…. indeed, he had stage 2 melanoma.  Still alive.) 

Off my random soapbox……

wanted to say Hi….let's see if my daughter will be wearing her hat and has had sunscreen re-applied when I pick her up soon from school.   

-Erin

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        AS123
        Participant

Oh Erin, I am so sorry! That would really upset me as well. I was just diagnosed in December and have been worried about sending my daughter to preschool this spring for the same reason. I've been putting sunscreen on her every morning before she goes (she's only there three hours) and being that her teachers have been wonderfully supportive and understanding about my diagnosis, I am hoping they can remember the hat too! I bet your daughter's teachers won't forget again!

Anne

ErinMcH
            Participant

Anne, 

So sorry to hear about your dx; happy to hear that all the margins, etc, were clear.   I hope you're hanging in there!   (And my parents got the phone call in Hawaii that my initial bx was melanoma- an entire other story in itself).    

So Anna (my daughter- you have an awesome name!) WAS wearing her hat- but it was clearly evident that they assumed since she had long sleeves on (even though it's "only" 74 here today), that they didn't need to put it on her face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And tomorrow they won't forget that one.   The sticky note to go outside says "AH, sunscreen, hat, THREE PM"- when I TOLD them to put it on her after lunch.   Grrrrr.   Irate- again.  

That's great you have great teachers; she generally does have great teachers.   I told one of the TA's who was outside that I've had melanoma so I'm totally type A….she was like "oh, so that's why you're hypervigilent."  What?   I didn't know if that was a criticism or not.  (I don't think it was- she's pretty cool.) 

Shooting off an email again to her teacher, TA, and headmaster tonight.   They're getting sick of me.   (Not true….I don't think).   

๐Ÿ˜‰  

ErinMcH
              Participant

Anne, 

So sorry to hear about your dx; happy to hear that all the margins, etc, were clear.   I hope you're hanging in there!   (And my parents got the phone call in Hawaii that my initial bx was melanoma- an entire other story in itself).    

So Anna (my daughter- you have an awesome name!) WAS wearing her hat- but it was clearly evident that they assumed since she had long sleeves on (even though it's "only" 74 here today), that they didn't need to put it on her face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And tomorrow they won't forget that one.   The sticky note to go outside says "AH, sunscreen, hat, THREE PM"- when I TOLD them to put it on her after lunch.   Grrrrr.   Irate- again.  

That's great you have great teachers; she generally does have great teachers.   I told one of the TA's who was outside that I've had melanoma so I'm totally type A….she was like "oh, so that's why you're hypervigilent."  What?   I didn't know if that was a criticism or not.  (I don't think it was- she's pretty cool.) 

Shooting off an email again to her teacher, TA, and headmaster tonight.   They're getting sick of me.   (Not true….I don't think).   

๐Ÿ˜‰  

ErinMcH
                Participant

Anne, 

๐Ÿ˜‰  

ErinMcH
                  Participant

So, once again, I am irate.   I picked my daughter up from school yesterday, and her HAT was in her CUBBY HOLE.   Seriously.   I had a conference this morning with the headmaster, her teacher, her TA, and one of the TA's who is outside when the kids are on the playground.  That particular TA knows how vigilant I am about the hat and sunscreen, but she's not in my daughter's classroom.   

Anna's TA's response to me?   "Well, she should remember she needs to wear her hat."  WHHAAAAAATTTTTT?   she's FOUR.  "Exactly, she is ONLY 4, and barely 4,  so she needs reminders to get her hat."  So I brought new "rules" about being outside…..and her TA wasn't extremely happy.  "Well, yesterday, it was kind of overcast."   Doesn't matter…..she came home with sunburned cheeks.   2 of the TA's who are on the playground know she is to wear her hat at all times, and to call me to pick her up if she refuses to wear it. 

A bit anal?   Maybe….but we live in Arizona.   Um, hello….sunny 360 days out of the year. 

On that note….one of the moms overheard a similar conversation last week, and yesterday asked me who my doc was.  I gave her the info, told her a PA or another doc in the practice would probably see her, bc mine strictly deals with melanoma.   At least one person is going to get a mole looked at.  

Rant over….been one of the mornings where I woke up ticked off about something completely different.  

ErinMcH
                    Participant

So, once again, I am irate.   I picked my daughter up from school yesterday, and her HAT was in her CUBBY HOLE.   Seriously.   I had a conference this morning with the headmaster, her teacher, her TA, and one of the TA's who is outside when the kids are on the playground.  That particular TA knows how vigilant I am about the hat and sunscreen, but she's not in my daughter's classroom.   

Anna's TA's response to me?   "Well, she should remember she needs to wear her hat."  WHHAAAAAATTTTTT?   she's FOUR.  "Exactly, she is ONLY 4, and barely 4,  so she needs reminders to get her hat."  So I brought new "rules" about being outside…..and her TA wasn't extremely happy.  "Well, yesterday, it was kind of overcast."   Doesn't matter…..she came home with sunburned cheeks.   2 of the TA's who are on the playground know she is to wear her hat at all times, and to call me to pick her up if she refuses to wear it. 

A bit anal?   Maybe….but we live in Arizona.   Um, hello….sunny 360 days out of the year. 

On that note….one of the moms overheard a similar conversation last week, and yesterday asked me who my doc was.  I gave her the info, told her a PA or another doc in the practice would probably see her, bc mine strictly deals with melanoma.   At least one person is going to get a mole looked at.  

Rant over….been one of the mornings where I woke up ticked off about something completely different.  

ErinMcH
                      Participant

Anne, 

๐Ÿ˜‰  

AS123
                      Participant

Oh Erin, I am so sorry! That would really upset me as well. I was just diagnosed in December and have been worried about sending my daughter to preschool this spring for the same reason. I've been putting sunscreen on her every morning before she goes (she's only there three hours) and being that her teachers have been wonderfully supportive and understanding about my diagnosis, I am hoping they can remember the hat too! I bet your daughter's teachers won't forget again!

Anne

Viewing 1 reply thread
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics