The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New here

Forums General Melanoma Community New here

Participant

Can't exactly say I am glad to be here, but I am glad that the board exists!  Posting about my wife.

She is an otherwise healthy 58 year old white woman with a melanoma in situ 10 years ago that was excised without further incident.

Now, though, she was recently diagnosed with a melanoma tumor on her cheek, Breslow Depth 1.55 mm, mitotic rate of 1.0, no ulceration.  Tumor has been excised with margins, waiting on the SNB.  Any thoughts on the likelihood of SN involvement with these numbers??

Thanks for any input.  We are worried sick, of course…. 🙁 

'

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        MelanomaMike
        Participant

Hay HawkDawg, good to meet you under "crazy" circumstances, i too am facing the challenge of my life,now stage 4 and in both lungs & currently being treated {since Nov2017} with Immunal Therapy. I cant quite answer your nerve racking questions {im sure yer outta yer mind with all this} but, give it a day or so, theres a few folks here who know our shared desease, abd can explain & offer up different stuff to either consider trying or bring up to her Oncologist…fingers crossed bro…Mike 

Threefitty
          Participant

There may be times you must engage in speculation. 

There are times when you should best resist the temptation to do so.

And times when it doesn't matter either way.

I would say this is the second option. 

Good luck waiting on results, hopefully you get the Tom Petty result, and this is the hardest part.

Nemesis
            Participant

About 15% chances of node involvement.

hawkdawg
                Participant

Thanks, but I don't think Clark level is predictive any more. From what I can tell from the studies, Breslow depth and mitotic rate, possibly ulcerization, tumor location and age have value.  It's interesting that the younger you are the greater the likelihood of SN positivity. And head and neck tumors are slihtly LESS likely to spread to the SN than tumors elsewhere.    Besides, when I plugged in her numbers to this nonagram, no matter what Clark level I used (since my biopsy did not measure it), the highest number I could come up with was 8%.  I don't think that is right–too low.  Seems from what I can tell a range of 10 to 30% is more realistic.  Those numbers aren't bad, but it's a roll of the dice we don't want to lose, for sure…  

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics