The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New Help Reading A Path Report Please

Forums General Melanoma Community New Help Reading A Path Report Please

Participant

Here's what I got back today….

Here's what I got back today….

Compound nevus w/ architectural disorder and focally severe cytological atypia.  The lesion extents to the lateral and deep margins.  This lesion has severe atypia and it does not appear that it has been completely removed, conservative excision to ensure complete histologic evaluation to exclude an adjacent melanoma is recommenced.  Histologic sections are of skin w/ a nevomelanocytic lesion.  The lesion has junctional and intradermal elements.  Junction cells are present singly as well as in nests.   There is a lentiginous proliferation of melancytes along the dermoepidermal junction.  These cells have focally severe cytolgoic atypia.  In the dermis are nevomelanocytes w/ maturation.  Also, in the dermis there is a mild inflammatory cell infiltrate composed predominantly of lymphocytes and there is fibroplasia. 

What does this mean?

Thanks!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I hope that Janner comes online to give you a better description. Meanwhile so you aren't worrying right now  it means that this is a severly atypical mole.  They will take a wider excision to make sure that the edges are clear also.  I've had many that were clear with no melanoma.  

Good job of getting it removed before this became serious.

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

I hope that Janner comes online to give you a better description. Meanwhile so you aren't worrying right now  it means that this is a severly atypical mole.  They will take a wider excision to make sure that the edges are clear also.  I've had many that were clear with no melanoma.  

Linda

lhaley
            Participant

Linda

Janner
              Participant

As Linda said, this is a severely atypical lesion and should be removed with 5mm margins.  The lesion wasn't totally removed in the biopsy and the pathologist wants to make sure the new tissue removed is analyzed to make sure there isn't any melanoma in that lesion.  (Standard procedure to remove more tissue and analyze it, but since your lesion wasn't totally removed the first time, there is the unlikely possibility that something more sinister remains).  Most of the "jargon" is justifying the diagnosis and analyzing each line isn't too productive.  Bottom line is removing more tissue.  Watch your other moles for CHANGE.  This isn't melanoma, but it had the possibility to become melanoma in the future.  Regular checks with your dermatologist would be a good thing.

Best wishes,

Janner

Jager001
                  Participant
                    Thanks Janner! Is 5mm the same as a WLE? I was stage I in 2004 and had that done. Kinda freaked out when I read the path report. Seemed worse to me than it really is. Knew I could count on you guys to calm me down. I meet with the doc tomorrow for a consult and schedule the procedure.

Jager001
                    Participant
                      Thanks Janner! Is 5mm the same as a WLE? I was stage I in 2004 and had that done. Kinda freaked out when I read the path report. Seemed worse to me than it really is. Knew I could count on you guys to calm me down. I meet with the doc tomorrow for a consult and schedule the procedure.

Jager001
                      Participant

Janner
                        Participant

Yes, the WLE margins for a severely atypical lesion AND an in situ are 5mm's.  A stage I would be 1cm margins.

Good luck!

Janner

Janner
                          Participant

Yes, the WLE margins for a severely atypical lesion AND an in situ are 5mm's.  A stage I would be 1cm margins.

Good luck!

Janner

Janner
                            Participant

Good luck!

Janner

mlbjab
                              Participant

Am I not correct in that they also think there's another, seperate lesion, close by that could be melanoma?

Janner
                                Participant

No.  No second separate lesion.  They just didn't remove the entire lesion the first time and the possibility exists (unlikely) that the remaining portion of the lesion not removed could be melanoma.  The remaining pigmented area needs to be evaluated to rule out melanoma.

Janner

Janner
                                  Participant

No.  No second separate lesion.  They just didn't remove the entire lesion the first time and the possibility exists (unlikely) that the remaining portion of the lesion not removed could be melanoma.  The remaining pigmented area needs to be evaluated to rule out melanoma.

Janner

mandican
                                    Participant
                                      I know this thread is dated, but thank you! My report says the exact same from beginning to end! I feel a bit better now. I hope everything turned out well and healthy.
                                      mandican
                                      Participant
                                        I know this thread is dated, but thank you! My report says the exact same from beginning to end! I feel a bit better now. I hope everything turned out well and healthy.
                                        mandican
                                        Participant
                                          mandican
                                          Participant
                                            mandican
                                            Participant
                                              mandican
                                              Participant
                                                Janner
                                                Participant

Janner

mlbjab
                                                  Participant

Am I not correct in that they also think there's another, seperate lesion, close by that could be melanoma?

mlbjab
                                                    Participant

Janner
                                                    Participant

As Linda said, this is a severely atypical lesion and should be removed with 5mm margins.  The lesion wasn't totally removed in the biopsy and the pathologist wants to make sure the new tissue removed is analyzed to make sure there isn't any melanoma in that lesion.  (Standard procedure to remove more tissue and analyze it, but since your lesion wasn't totally removed the first time, there is the unlikely possibility that something more sinister remains).  Most of the "jargon" is justifying the diagnosis and analyzing each line isn't too productive.  Bottom line is removing more tissue.  Watch your other moles for CHANGE.  This isn't melanoma, but it had the possibility to become melanoma in the future.  Regular checks with your dermatologist would be a good thing.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                                      Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics