The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New Diagnosis – 27 years post primary – 4×4 tumor in liver

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community New Diagnosis – 27 years post primary – 4×4 tumor in liver

Participant

My Father-In-Law has recently been diagnosed as Stage 4 Metastatic Melanoma (I am sure I will have some phrases or language usage wrong).  

Male

Symptoms: Abdominal Pain (began in June 2017), Weight Loss, Loss of Appetite

Primary: Uveal Melanoma 27 years ago (1990), lost left eye.  Blood tests annually since with no symptoms until June of 2017

Pathology Report: (Here are some of the details from path report) Metastatic Melanoma, The biopsy shows a nodule of densly packed malignant cells, some with cytoplasmic pigment and a largele spindled morpholy.  In stains… the tumor cells are mositive for Melan-A and HMB-25 with weak S100 staining.  The are negative for desmin, CD 117, pancytokeratin and CD34.  

At appointment at oncologist, it was mentioned that the tumor is 4×4.  Oncologist indicated care plan is Nivolumad and Ipilimumad every 3 weeks for four cycles followed by Nivolumad every 2 weeks for a long time.  There was some discussion of clinical trials based on the outcome of scans in the coming weeks with therapy starting in 2-3 weeks.

I am researching like crazy but figured this community might have some thoughts on where we are actually at and any advice on how to proceed.  Thanks for any input.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hopefully this will help introduce you to the treatment options regarding your current situation:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/08/melanoma-intel-primer-for-current.html

Ask additional questions as you need.  This forum has many knowledgeable and caring folk.  I wish you well.  Celeste

JerLon
            Participant

Thank you, this was very helpful.

MovingOn
            Participant

JerLon, I saw your question over on Boggleheads about financial planning regarding a cancer diagnosis. In my opinion, Melanoma.org discussions are mostly focused on the latest medical advancements for melanoma treatment as well as sharing individual experiences which may be helpful to others, however, there are people on here who can be helpful with identifying where to look for financial aspects of the treatment. You may also want to check American Cancer Society’s Survivor Forum. They tend to be more general to cancer diagnosis and therefore discuss more lifestyle, family concerns, and financial aspects which all cancer patients experience.

Definitely ask about clinical trials available for immunotherapies after a treatment plan has been discussed (don’t limit yourself to only clinical trials but definitely ask about them. 

Separately I’m wondering if your FIL has a final diagnosis or if it is possible the 4×4 is something else (hopefully something benign)?

JerLon
                Participant

What would indicate a "final" diagnosis?  I am, by no means, an expert on this and am trying to research for family.  

MovingOn
                  Participant

I re-read the pathology details you provided and I had missed it previously. That is the final diagnosis.

JerLon
                  Participant

Someone on another forum mentioned eligibility for SSI Disability.  I know my in-laws are extremely concerned about income during this time.  Is that an option for Stage IV Metastatic Melanoma?

melanomafighter
                      Participant

I am sorry to hear this for you and your family after 27 years!  I had a friend I met with Melanoma that decided not to go back to work when I did and she filed for SSI fast track program and was approved right away.  I believer a Stage 3 or higher has that ability to be approved quickly but I am not positive.

Viewing 2 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics