The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New Diagnosed stage 1a

Forums General Melanoma Community New Diagnosed stage 1a

Participant

Hello prayers for all. I was diagnosed with stage 1a and needless to say very scared. Is there any such a thing as a happy ending as to everything I read post of 1a spreading and that scares me. I have had my wle and they stated I’m all clear but still feel like I’m missing something cause nothing else was offered by my dermatologist  and didn’t even get referred to an oncologist. Even my regular dr don’t seem concerned. Well anyways I guess I’m just scared of the unknown. Below is my original path info before wle. Everyone keep up the good fight!

HISTOLOGIC TYPE: SPITZOID BRESLOW'SDEPTH/MAXIMUMTUMORTHICKNESS: 0.3MM CLARK/ANATOMIC LEVEL: II
      MARGINS
      PERIPHERAL MARGINS: INVOLVED.
      DEEP MARGIN: FREE. ULCERATION: ABSENT.
      SATELLITOSIS: ABSENT
      MITOTICINDEX: 0
      LYMPHO-VASCULAR INVASION: ABSENT. NEUROTROPISM: ABSENT.
      TUMOR-INFILTRATING LYMPHOCYTES: NON BRISK. TUMORREGRESSION: ABSENT. LYMPHNODES(IFAPPLICABLE): N/A
      PATHOLOGIC STAGE (AJCC 8TH EDITION): PT1A, PNX, PMX
      See melanoma table. After H and E review, a Melan-A stain was performed to highlight the melanocytes in this lesion. Controls stained appropriately. This melanoma exhibits an epithelioid cytomorphology; however the lesion asymmetric and poorly circumscribed with extensive pagetoid scatter across the entire lesion to all levels of the epidermis. With these features, this is interpreted as a superficially invasive melanoma with some spitzoid features. This case has also been reviewed by other dermatopathologists, Drs. Smith and Murphy who agree with the diagnosis.

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        mandyjill
        Participant

Sounds appropriate to me.  Just keep up the regular skin checks with your dermatologist.

Janner
          Participant

This is a very early lesion.  Oncologists usually don't see early stage warriors.  They have nothing to offer them.  Oncologists treat cancer and yours has been removed.

QuietPoet
              Participant

This sounds just like mine from a year ago. I had my wife local excision to make sure margins were clear and that was that. Very few people progress beyond 1A when it’s caught that early. Just do your regular skin checks with your dermatologist.

MelanomaMike
              Participant
                Great news! Huh, wish i was 1A, i was 1a back in 1999/2000 when i first noticed my mole above my left knee, i wasnt diagnosed as 1a by a doctor mind you, i merely noticed it on my own and didnt know a damn thing about moles except something about turning dark or black in da middle.
                Move ahead to 2008 when i finally saw a Derm Doc about it and, well, the rest is history, stage 3b & it metastasized to my lymphs in left groin as well..so, its been Mikes Big Adventure ever since!..thats where Education on Melanoma comes in, i was “Un” educated, now im stage 4 & its in both lungs & i couldnt be happier! (Kidding) it sux eggs but what can i do? I Just keep my boots on & stay in the fight..Mike
                cancersnewnormal
                Participant

Be diligent about checking your own skin for changes or "new additions". See a dermatologist at 4-6 month intervals. The doc will be able to note anything "odd", but won't know you like you know you… so be sure to point things out and take pictures if you think they've changed. SUNSCREEN SUNSCREEN SUNSCREEN. Once diagnosed, you know your skin has made an attempt on your life. Don't expose yourself to additional risk. 96-98% of stage 1a folks will remain clear, and move on with living life. You'll find precious few of them online, unless they're in the oddball 2-4% who progress.

Dave61184
                  Participant

Thank you all for the reply.

Viewing 4 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics