The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Never Ever Give UP HOPE

Forums General Melanoma Community Never Ever Give UP HOPE

Participant

Hi Everyone

I was once a regular on this board and I cannot  tell you the amount of support I got here. I was here for about 8 years religiously and then when I became a Grandma I was and still am very busy… now four grandchildren and number 5 on the way…. all 6 and under.  They are the love of my life

I apologize ot all of you I haven't been here.  I know how hard I held on to the positive stories from other patients. My story is not any different from any of you.  In fact I have probably had an easeir journey in many ways than most.  The uniqueness is I am 13 yeas 9 months NED after lung and brain mets…NEVER EVER EVER GIVE UP HOPE.

I was dx n 1995 StageII from an ulcerated mole on my back.. Misdiagnosed originally— the derm told me I had an INFECTION….  I went back weeks later — mole was still blleeding..  He kept vascilating back and forth whould I or shodn't I do a SHAVE biopsy.  MY comment was , if in doubt don't do it…  Then again I was very naive at the time.. NOT ANY MORE…  I got a call the following Monday..  saying You have Malignant Melanoma and it has spread.  Here is the surgeons name.  I wasnt it removed no later than Fri.  and you will start chemo the follwiing week.. good nighr have a good evening. Sure youo  _ _ =_ _ _  _ !  After compossig myself I decidd to go to Sloane Kettering,.  Long story short..  Stage II.  My oncologist, thankfullly took the wait and see approach, seeing him more frequently.  the only treatment at the time was INF.. He was not conviced he liked the treatment esp. because of the side effects,  No treatment  just follow ups Sadly my oncologist went into the private sector shortly after I was dx iwith Lung Mets almost five years later.  I flew to JWCI where lungs mets were confirmed .  Both Sloane Kettering and JWCI wanted to remove my rt. lung.  ( I had lessions in both lungs)  OK if I do that what ifffffffffff   the other lung developed more lessions.  ? 

I am not sure why but I decided against the surgery.  I stared seeing Dr Raymond Chang, an alternative dr. trained at sloane Kettering..  I saw him for about six months and during tht time took herbs he had given me.  

At his recommendation I started seeing Dr Abraham Chachoua at NYU Langone Medical Center whos is still my oncologis… He ordered complete body scans and when the results came back— still with the lung issue, he decided to do a brain scan. I tried to reassue him there was matter up there.  Scan came back positive.. MRI confirmed   BRAIN MET.  I knew I was in trouble.  I opeted for gamma Knife– the tumor Burst and Bled…  GK no longer an option  I had the tumor surgicaly removed the next morning  

TREATMENT DECISON TIME  GRRRR.  I had alrady been so involved in the Melanoma community and knew my options.  There was nothing other than IL 2 that would give me the best chance..  

All of that beig said —Not sure it was FEAR or FAITH…  I had accepted  the inevitable and had my talk with God the night before surgery.  I said  God it its your will for me to come home, please make it quick.  ( I had just been through a horrible divorce for four years, which the stress is wht i believe bought on my  original dx and two recurrences )  I then said  If it isyour will for me to remain on this planet, I will do all I can to help others on their journey.  Not sure if I am still hee for that reason or God decided I would cause too much havoc so he decided to leave  me here..  One thing I have never done my entiere life is asky why somehting  happened to me.  .  i believe things happen as they are supposed to.  All I have done in the difficult times is ask God to give me the strength to get through it.. He has NEVER LET ME DOWN.. I may not have gotten wht I wanted ut I alwasy got what I needed.

Before I go any further I want everyone to know.. I AM NOT ANTI CONVENTIONAL MEDICINE at all. I  jsut decided to do alternative medicinee because I wanted QUALITY OF LIFE, NOT QUANTITY…..    

I went on a pretty strict macrobiotic diet, ( my naturopath– also had me on a vitamin regiment.  I also decided to do Iscador,  more commonly known as Mistetoe therapy combined with two other herbs.  I did thias for almst two years..Within a few monts thee weent' any mrre lung lessions and I have remained NED since then.  In all these years I have never met anyone else who did Iscador until a few months ago.  A young woman in Maryland combined hers with her INF tratments.  She also is NED but suffers side effects from the INF.  Just as a point of information.. ISCADOR  was prescribed by an MD who practices anthroposphy and other alternative medicines combined with conventional.  

The one thing I want to lave you with is this

TRUST !!!! YOU !!! will make the DECISION THATA IS RIGHT FOR YOU.. Never ever look back, alwasy look forward with HOPE  AND OPTMISM, BELIEVE IN YOUR HIGHER POWER  and TRUST.  NEVER EVER EVER GIVE UP HOPE.

My thoughts and prayaers are with all of you.

Love and Light

Carole

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        DZnDef
        Participant

Carole –

I am so glad to see you posting again and happy to see you are doing well.  You were one of the many generous people that responded to my first panicked inquiries on this discussion board.  Your responses along with a few others helped give me the courage to do what I WANTED to do which was focus on my quality of life and overall health FIRST before starting treatment.  I am being monitored by a wonderful oncologist who gives me scans every 3-4 months and referred me to a Naturopathic Medical Doctor to help me in my goals of optimal health.  So far, in the 9 months since the 5 spots in my lungs were discovered, there have been no new spots and only two spots have shown any growth (minimal).  My next scans are in January.   I plan to make some changes and see where I land in January.  At any time, my oncologist stands at the ready with either Ipi, BRAF or PD-1 (whichever is available at the time – hopefully I can start with PD-1).  As my oncologist explained his process to me:  He would start with one treatment and stay with it as long as it appeared to be working, if it wasn't working or stopped working, he would move on to the next one, then the next one, etc. I asked him if I could try optimizing my health as my first treatment option.  Given my low tumor burden,  he thought a 3 month delay would not be problematic as most of his patients are far more advanced when he first sees them.  Carole – even if my head explodes between now and January, I will not regret my choice.  I have had the best Summer of my life.  And it is quality that matters to me so much more than quantity.  I somehow doubt that one second after dying a person thinks "gee, I wish I'd avoided this longer".  I suspect the response might be more like "what the heck was I putting this off for?".  Don't get me wrong, I want very much to live.  I just don't think death is necessarily the worst thing ever (it better not be considering it is inevitable).  At a very minimum, I won't have to do taxes anymore.

It is so important that we all make our own health decisions for ourselves and hold no one else accountable for the results.  We live and die by our own choices.  There is no one person that can tell us exactly what to do.  We can learn so much from everyone's experiences and expertise.  Which is why I value you and everyone on this community as well as my health professionals, both conventional and alternative.  But the decision is mine.  None of you are responsible for my decisions.  Thank you so much for sharing your story.

Be well,

Maggie

Carole K
            Participant

HI Maggie

I am glad I wasa able to help you do what YOU WANTED TO DO  and I am thrilled your oncologist was on board with you  That is exceptional.  I am hearing more and more again from others who have taken the alternative route.  What I have found for all these years is those who do alternative has jus tas good results as those on chemo and at times even better   Yes, there are those who do not do as welll.I knew a few peple here who did alternative and did not do well and I felt it was because they did it on their own  You either have to have a background in a field related or you beter is to see a Naturopath.

My particular treatments were prescrbed by an MD.  I also had a macro biotic counselo who was right on track with me.  

I have had many blessings from Melanoma and one of the biggest was this site,  It has a world of knowledge, peopke who can help and who care about you as  aperson Sending you bigmhugs,

Love and Light

Carole K——–IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY, I OPENED MY EYES TODAY.

SEEE YOU IN CHAT MAGGIE

Carole K
              Participant

HI Maggie

I am glad I wasa able to help you do what YOU WANTED TO DO  and I am thrilled your oncologist was on board with you  That is exceptional.  I am hearing more and more again from others who have taken the alternative route.  What I have found for all these years is those who do alternative has jus tas good results as those on chemo and at times even better   Yes, there are those who do not do as welll.I knew a few peple here who did alternative and did not do well and I felt it was because they did it on their own  You either have to have a background in a field related or you beter is to see a Naturopath.

My particular treatments were prescrbed by an MD.  I also had a macro biotic counselo who was right on track with me.  

I have had many blessings from Melanoma and one of the biggest was this site,  It has a world of knowledge, peopke who can help and who care about you as  aperson Sending you bigmhugs,

Love and Light

SEEE YOU IN CHAT MAGGIE

Carole K
                Participant

HI Maggie

Love and Light

SEEE YOU IN CHAT MAGGIE

DZnDef
                Participant

Carole –

I am so glad to see you posting again and happy to see you are doing well.  You were one of the many generous people that responded to my first panicked inquiries on this discussion board.  Your responses along with a few others helped give me the courage to do what I WANTED to do which was focus on my quality of life and overall health FIRST before starting treatment.  I am being monitored by a wonderful oncologist who gives me scans every 3-4 months and referred me to a Naturopathic Medical Doctor to help me in my goals of optimal health.  So far, in the 9 months since the 5 spots in my lungs were discovered, there have been no new spots and only two spots have shown any growth (minimal).  My next scans are in January.   I plan to make some changes and see where I land in January.  At any time, my oncologist stands at the ready with either Ipi, BRAF or PD-1 (whichever is available at the time – hopefully I can start with PD-1).  As my oncologist explained his process to me:  He would start with one treatment and stay with it as long as it appeared to be working, if it wasn't working or stopped working, he would move on to the next one, then the next one, etc. I asked him if I could try optimizing my health as my first treatment option.  Given my low tumor burden,  he thought a 3 month delay would not be problematic as most of his patients are far more advanced when he first sees them.  Carole – even if my head explodes between now and January, I will not regret my choice.  I have had the best Summer of my life.  And it is quality that matters to me so much more than quantity.  I somehow doubt that one second after dying a person thinks "gee, I wish I'd avoided this longer".  I suspect the response might be more like "what the heck was I putting this off for?".  Don't get me wrong, I want very much to live.  I just don't think death is necessarily the worst thing ever (it better not be considering it is inevitable).  At a very minimum, I won't have to do taxes anymore.

It is so important that we all make our own health decisions for ourselves and hold no one else accountable for the results.  We live and die by our own choices.  There is no one person that can tell us exactly what to do.  We can learn so much from everyone's experiences and expertise.  Which is why I value you and everyone on this community as well as my health professionals, both conventional and alternative.  But the decision is mine.  None of you are responsible for my decisions.  Thank you so much for sharing your story.

Be well,

Maggie

DZnDef
                  Participant

Carole –

Be well,

Maggie

Squash
                    Participant

Iscador or Mistletoe is quite commonly used in europe but not elsewhere.

I do my own injections.

It is good for regulating immune function and can rectify CD4 CD8 ratios that are out of whack which is quite common in melanoma and for that matter many other cancers. 

I take so many supplements that i dont know which one is working or doing anything or not.

I am stage 111 but refused chemo, interferon and a couple of trials that were offerred.

I am not interested in any therapies that make me feel worse unless they are backed up by some really good stats via research.

Nice story and thanks for sharing your experiences. It is always good to hear about people who overcome difficult diagnosis.

Carole K
                        Participant

HI SQUASH

Thanks for posting.  It's nice to see someone else doing iscdor  I also met a young woman on FB who does Mistletoe.  She was the first and I met her a few months ago.  I was jus tin KY to see my alternative doctor who is an MD and I also gave myself the injections three times a week twice a day.  It was combined with Astragalus and Formica for innume system and overall well being.  I DID A HUGE AMOUNT OF SUPPLEMENTS AS WELL

Everyone is entitled to do what they feel is best for them.  I just have a tough time with chemo—–and INF is a big NOOOOOOOOO FOR ME

WHERE ARE YOU BEING TREATED?  

HANG TOUGH AND don't ever give up hopeL  KNow I am here for you,

Love and Light

Carole K  IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY  I OPENED MY EYES TODAY..!!!!

Carole K
                          Participant

HI SQUASH

Thanks for posting.  It's nice to see someone else doing iscdor  I also met a young woman on FB who does Mistletoe.  She was the first and I met her a few months ago.  I was jus tin KY to see my alternative doctor who is an MD and I also gave myself the injections three times a week twice a day.  It was combined with Astragalus and Formica for innume system and overall well being.  I DID A HUGE AMOUNT OF SUPPLEMENTS AS WELL

Everyone is entitled to do what they feel is best for them.  I just have a tough time with chemo—–and INF is a big NOOOOOOOOO FOR ME

Love and Light

Squash
                            Participant

I go to a clinic in Germany Bio Med in Bad Berzenberg and I use a naturopath in Australia.

I havent been sick at all. In fact i feel great but I did have a couple of lymph nodes taken out of the groin last month that had melanoma in them.

I am going back to Germany to do some hyperthermia treatment next week to try and mop up any rogue melanoma cells in the other lymph nodes.

Macobiotic diet sounds interesting. There are lots of theories about diet for cancer. I think the most promising one is the ketogenic diet which is high fat low protein and low carbs as this has some real research behind it.  The most common diet prescribed by alternative practitoners is the vegan diet but I just find that is hard to get all your requirements on such a diet and easy to become anemic.

i do the mistletoe twice a week along with all the other stuff. Hopefully i wll never need to use any other treatments and i will be able to heal myself.

Squash
                              Participant

I go to a clinic in Germany Bio Med in Bad Berzenberg and I use a naturopath in Australia.

I havent been sick at all. In fact i feel great but I did have a couple of lymph nodes taken out of the groin last month that had melanoma in them.

I am going back to Germany to do some hyperthermia treatment next week to try and mop up any rogue melanoma cells in the other lymph nodes.

Macobiotic diet sounds interesting. There are lots of theories about diet for cancer. I think the most promising one is the ketogenic diet which is high fat low protein and low carbs as this has some real research behind it.  The most common diet prescribed by alternative practitoners is the vegan diet but I just find that is hard to get all your requirements on such a diet and easy to become anemic.

i do the mistletoe twice a week along with all the other stuff. Hopefully i wll never need to use any other treatments and i will be able to heal myself.

Carole K
                                Participant

HI Squash,

Good for you for going with your GUT.  Mistletoe therapy I believ was started in Berlin by Rudolph Steiner..  You are the third person I have met who is doing mistletoe  the other one is being seen at John Hopkins in Baltimore..  I believe mistletoe is widely used in Europe.  I felt fantastic while I was on it and I know the diet and  the massages, reiki, meditatiing were alla great part of my healing.  Stay posisitive and keep us informed  Big Hugs..

Carole K.

I OPNED MY EYES TODAY.  IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY..

Carole K
                                  Participant

HI Squash,

Good for you for going with your GUT.  Mistletoe therapy I believ was started in Berlin by Rudolph Steiner..  You are the third person I have met who is doing mistletoe  the other one is being seen at John Hopkins in Baltimore..  I believe mistletoe is widely used in Europe.  I felt fantastic while I was on it and I know the diet and  the massages, reiki, meditatiing were alla great part of my healing.  Stay posisitive and keep us informed  Big Hugs..

Carole K.

Carole K
                                    Participant

HI Squash,

Carole K.

Manfred
                                      Participant

Hi Squash,

is there a way to contact you personally since I would like to get some more info. on the Iscador.My  e-mail is mq40 @ juno.com

Regards,  Manfred

Manfred
                                        Participant

Hi Squash,

is there a way to contact you personally since I would like to get some more info. on the Iscador.My  e-mail is mq40 @ juno.com

Regards,  Manfred

Manfred
                                          Participant

Hi Squash,

Regards,  Manfred

Carole K
                                            Participant

HI Manfred,

Let me know if you live in Europe or the US.  I got my injections her in the US. I can get you in touch with someone here..  Just leae me a post or email me aat  [email protected].  Look forward to hearing from you.

Love and Light

Carole K

Carole K
                                              Participant

HI Manfred,

Let me know if you live in Europe or the US.  I got my injections her in the US. I can get you in touch with someone here..  Just leae me a post or email me aat  [email protected].  Look forward to hearing from you.

Love and Light

Carole K

Manfred
                                                Participant

Hi Carole,

2 days ago under contact I send you a lengthy message on this blog but it must not have reached you,and yes I would like to talk to you.I live in the Seattle area and pls. contact me per email    [email protected]     .Are using Skype? or we can talk by phone.

Thanks,  Manfred

Manfred
                                                  Participant

Hi Carole,

2 days ago under contact I send you a lengthy message on this blog but it must not have reached you,and yes I would like to talk to you.I live in the Seattle area and pls. contact me per email    [email protected]     .Are using Skype? or we can talk by phone.

Thanks,  Manfred

Manfred
                                                    Participant

Hi Carole,

Thanks,  Manfred

Squash
                                                      Participant

For some reason I cant copy and paste a link here but i bought my mistletoe onlline from a German pharmacy.

Try and google mistletoe pharmacy and you should find it.

149 euros including delivery to Australia for three months supply at twice a week injection. 

Far infrared sauna is a good option a couple of times a week. Melanoma is very heat sensitive so I would do that. You only need 45 mins in the sauna then after the sauna take a big dose of lipsomal vitamin C something like 5grams you can buy this vitamin c or make it yourself.   

Manfred
                                                        Participant

Hi Squash,

thanks for your help and recomentations.Also I grew up in Germany and moved to the US in my 20's.So finding Iscador is not a problem.The problem I might  have is the american costums and the legality to have it shipped to the US being not legal in the US.Also what I gather from the german pharmacy the product needs to be shipped cold.Also what strain of Iscador are you using and which is best for or better against mel. O,P,Q. I understand it is a immunsystem booster but still there might be some differances.

Thanks,  Manfred

DZnDef
                                                          Participant

Hi Manfred,

I don't know if Squash has seen this and I hope Squash will let us know.  In the meantime, I found an obscure link on that website indicating that Helixor – P (Pine) appears to be the version used for Melanoma

http://www.helixor.com/integrative-cancer-therapy/mistletoe-therapy/products/

Cheers, Maggie (I'm reading up more on this too but have not found a local doctor willing to work with it yet).

Squash
                                                            Participant

Yes Helixor P is the one i am using.

And no it doesnt need to be shipped cold.

It is not approved in Australia either but it is not illegal and I think it is the same for the US. Customs took their time getting thru both of my shipments but still let them thru.

I just arrived in Germay today so i will take a few months worth back with me this time.

I will also get to see if my CD4 CD4 count ratio is better now I have been taking it for four months as I got a blood test this morning and can compare to the last blood test.

Squash
                                                              Participant

It is not approved in Australia either but it is not illegal and I think it is the same for the US. Customs took their time getting thru both of my shipments but still let them thru.

I just arrived in Germay today so i will take a few months worth back with me this time.

I will also get to see if my CD4 CD4 count ratio is better now I have been taking it for four months as I got a blood test this morning and can compare to the last blood test.

Squash
                                                                Participant

DZnDef
                                                                  Participant

Hi Manfred,

I don't know if Squash has seen this and I hope Squash will let us know.  In the meantime, I found an obscure link on that website indicating that Helixor – P (Pine) appears to be the version used for Melanoma

Cheers, Maggie (I'm reading up more on this too but have not found a local doctor willing to work with it yet).

DZnDef
                                                                    Participant

Hi Manfred,

Manfred
                                                                      Participant

Hi Squash,

thanks for your help and recomentations.Also I grew up in Germany and moved to the US in my 20's.So finding Iscador is not a problem.The problem I might  have is the american costums and the legality to have it shipped to the US being not legal in the US.Also what I gather from the german pharmacy the product needs to be shipped cold.Also what strain of Iscador are you using and which is best for or better against mel. O,P,Q. I understand it is a immunsystem booster but still there might be some differances.

Thanks,  Manfred

Manfred
                                                                        Participant

Hi Squash,

Thanks,  Manfred

Squash
                                                                          Participant

For some reason I cant copy and paste a link here but i bought my mistletoe onlline from a German pharmacy.

149 euros including delivery to Australia for three months supply at twice a week injection. 

Far infrared sauna is a good option a couple of times a week. Melanoma is very heat sensitive so I would do that. You only need 45 mins in the sauna then after the sauna take a big dose of lipsomal vitamin C something like 5grams you can buy this vitamin c or make it yourself.   

Squash
                                                                            Participant

Carole K
                                                                              Participant

HI Manfred,

Love and Light

Carole K

Squash
                                                                                Participant

.

Carole K
                                                                                  Participant

HI SQUASH

Love and Light

Squash
                                                                                  Participant

I do my own injections.

It is good for regulating immune function and can rectify CD4 CD8 ratios that are out of whack which is quite common in melanoma and for that matter many other cancers. 

I take so many supplements that i dont know which one is working or doing anything or not.

I am stage 111 but refused chemo, interferon and a couple of trials that were offerred.

I am not interested in any therapies that make me feel worse unless they are backed up by some really good stats via research.

Nice story and thanks for sharing your experiences. It is always good to hear about people who overcome difficult diagnosis.

Squash
                                                                                    Participant

I do my own injections.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics