The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Nervous – starting Interferon Monday.

Forums General Melanoma Community Nervous – starting Interferon Monday.

Participant
      I had a mole removed in 2005 from my calf. Last year I found a lump near my knee – had wide excision done. December I had a clear PET scan then in March found a lump under surgical scar on leg. Monday I start interferon..worried what this journey will be like.

I had a mole removed in 2005 from my calf. Last year I found a lump near my knee – had wide excision done. December I had a clear PET scan then in March found a lump under surgical scar on leg. Monday I start interferon..worried what this journey will be like.

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Interferon's effects are highly individual. You can read reports here of people sailing through and others who were miserable – you'll just have to wait and see.  Just remember that if it gets bad for you, you can always stop.  good luck. Fen

Fen
          Participant

Interferon's effects are highly individual. You can read reports here of people sailing through and others who were miserable – you'll just have to wait and see.  Just remember that if it gets bad for you, you can always stop.  good luck. Fen

Fen
            Participant

BrianP
              Participant

Good luck with your treatment.  Best advice I can give is to drink LOTS of water.  If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to message me.  I have some other info that I can send you that helped me when I did my treatment.

Brian

BrianP
                Participant

Good luck with your treatment.  Best advice I can give is to drink LOTS of water.  If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to message me.  I have some other info that I can send you that helped me when I did my treatment.

Brian

BrianP
                  Participant

Brian

gaby
                    Participant

Hello! You start with interferon or pegylated interferon? because the side effects of pegylated interferon are lower than those of interferon. kisses

Gaby

gaby
                      Participant

Hello! You start with interferon or pegylated interferon? because the side effects of pegylated interferon are lower than those of interferon. kisses

Gaby

gaby
                        Participant

Gaby

joy_
                          Participant

Like someone else said, the side effect vary from person to person.  I have read some that made it through the month of high dose and then 11 mo. self injections ok.  My husband did one month of HD interferon and was unable to continue because of toxicity issues.  It was a very hard month for him (and me), and he still has some memory issues from it.  Even though he is stage IV now, we don't regret the decision though.  Maybe it kept mel at bay for a couple of more years?  And if he hadn't tried it, he would be wondering now if he should have.  Just our experience…

Wishing you the best!

joy_
                            Participant

Like someone else said, the side effect vary from person to person.  I have read some that made it through the month of high dose and then 11 mo. self injections ok.  My husband did one month of HD interferon and was unable to continue because of toxicity issues.  It was a very hard month for him (and me), and he still has some memory issues from it.  Even though he is stage IV now, we don't regret the decision though.  Maybe it kept mel at bay for a couple of more years?  And if he hadn't tried it, he would be wondering now if he should have.  Just our experience…

Wishing you the best!

joy_
                              Participant

Wishing you the best!

LivingNTN
                                Participant

I had the 4 week daily IV of interferon alpha 2b and was able to continue with 10 months on the weekly injections. My first treatment did not make me feel sick or tired but I did experience the "shakes"; could not stop shaking for about 45 minutes afterwards. I stayed in the IV unit until it subsided. Lucky for me, my husband was able to be with me for each treatment which made it easier for me.

As stated earlier, drinking LOTS of water is a MUST. The side effects seemed worse when I did not make myself drink lots of water.  Basically for a month (during the IV treatments) I rested a lot – had to make my care my priority.  After the weekly shots started, I was able to plan my "good" days with some activity and prepared for my "bad" days. All in all, it wasn't horrible, just not feeling well for so long was an emotional drain.  Don't fight the offer of drugs to alleviate side effects if you have them. Atavan became my friend because with melanoma (and the unknown) my anxiety level was high.

Now that it's been almost two years without treatment, I'm glad I went forward with the interferon. Hey, if it only helps 2% or 10%, at least that's 2% or more!

Follow the guidance on foods and water – for once in your life you HAVE to follow the guidelines.

The best of luck to you. Remember to breathe deeply and slowly and to allow others to help you.

LivingNTN

LivingNTN
                                  Participant

I had the 4 week daily IV of interferon alpha 2b and was able to continue with 10 months on the weekly injections. My first treatment did not make me feel sick or tired but I did experience the "shakes"; could not stop shaking for about 45 minutes afterwards. I stayed in the IV unit until it subsided. Lucky for me, my husband was able to be with me for each treatment which made it easier for me.

As stated earlier, drinking LOTS of water is a MUST. The side effects seemed worse when I did not make myself drink lots of water.  Basically for a month (during the IV treatments) I rested a lot – had to make my care my priority.  After the weekly shots started, I was able to plan my "good" days with some activity and prepared for my "bad" days. All in all, it wasn't horrible, just not feeling well for so long was an emotional drain.  Don't fight the offer of drugs to alleviate side effects if you have them. Atavan became my friend because with melanoma (and the unknown) my anxiety level was high.

Now that it's been almost two years without treatment, I'm glad I went forward with the interferon. Hey, if it only helps 2% or 10%, at least that's 2% or more!

Follow the guidance on foods and water – for once in your life you HAVE to follow the guidelines.

The best of luck to you. Remember to breathe deeply and slowly and to allow others to help you.

LivingNTN

LivingNTN
                                    Participant

LivingNTN

LivingNTN
                                      Participant

How are you doing?

LivingNTN

LivingNTN
                                        Participant

How are you doing?

LivingNTN

LivingNTN
                                          Participant

How are you doing?

LivingNTN

Tina D
                                            Participant

Wondering how you are doing… you should be about half way through the most difficult part. The first month, on the high dose, is the most intense. How are you doing? I hope you are able to keep drinking fluids to stay hydrated, and also taking even short walks to help with the fatigue.

Tina

Tina D
                                              Participant

Wondering how you are doing… you should be about half way through the most difficult part. The first month, on the high dose, is the most intense. How are you doing? I hope you are able to keep drinking fluids to stay hydrated, and also taking even short walks to help with the fatigue.

Tina

Tina D
                                                Participant

Tina

blden2186
                                                  Participant
                                                    Thank-you Fen
                                                    blden2186
                                                    Participant
                                                      Thank-you Fen
                                                      blden2186
                                                      Participant
                                                        Thank-you Fen
                                                        bethy62
                                                        Participant

I made it through made Interpheron protocol in 2010/2011. I wouldn't say I "sailed" through but I was able to manage a quiet life. I was off work for the year and my children were older so lets say I had the circumstances to take more time for myself. My coping mechanisims were; fluids, doing my injections at bedtime, planning good days/bad days, OTC pain relief, rest and most importatnly allowing myself to feel under the weather. Another mental coping trick was reminding myself that this was only 1 year in total. When it was a bad day I would rest and count how many shots I had done and how many were left.

bethy62
                                                          Participant

I made it through made Interpheron protocol in 2010/2011. I wouldn't say I "sailed" through but I was able to manage a quiet life. I was off work for the year and my children were older so lets say I had the circumstances to take more time for myself. My coping mechanisims were; fluids, doing my injections at bedtime, planning good days/bad days, OTC pain relief, rest and most importatnly allowing myself to feel under the weather. Another mental coping trick was reminding myself that this was only 1 year in total. When it was a bad day I would rest and count how many shots I had done and how many were left.

bethy62
                                                            Participant

blden2186
                                                              Participant
                                                                Well made it through my first two days with a mixed bag of side effects but none that I could not manage. I have been following everyone’s advise to drink, drink, drink. I have taken this month off from work and my husband it retired so that helps. The sudden onset chills probably has been the worst but they are not painful so I can deal with them. Thanks everyone – just hoping symptoms do not increase with tx.

Beth

blden2186
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Well made it through my first two days with a mixed bag of side effects but none that I could not manage. I have been following everyone’s advise to drink, drink, drink. I have taken this month off from work and my husband it retired so that helps. The sudden onset chills probably has been the worst but they are not painful so I can deal with them. Thanks everyone – just hoping symptoms do not increase with tx.

Beth

blden2186
                                                                  Participant

Beth

LivingNTN
                                                                    Participant

Sending best wishes your way.  Would recommend writing down any effects you feel (and timing). It will help you determine what time of day for the injections. Best of luck to you.

LivingNTN 

LivingNTN
                                                                      Participant

Sending best wishes your way.  Would recommend writing down any effects you feel (and timing). It will help you determine what time of day for the injections. Best of luck to you.

LivingNTN 

LivingNTN
                                                                        Participant

LivingNTN 

blden2186
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            Only 3 treatments left and I finish my month of interferon. Cannot wait to say this phase is done. Handled pretty well – tired of being tired.
                                                                            blden2186
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              Only 3 treatments left and I finish my month of interferon. Cannot wait to say this phase is done. Handled pretty well – tired of being tired.
                                                                              blden2186
                                                                              Participant
                                                                            Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics