The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Need some opinions from others please read my story

Forums General Melanoma Community Need some opinions from others please read my story

• This topic is empty.
    Participant

In Nov 2015 I was diagnosed 3 b melanoma on back. SLNB and CLND under armit done. Things were going fine until I noticed a small freckle on my scar area. Hard to tell if its on it or near it the way it healed. Went to derm and had it removed. The pathology came back as melanoma in situ. My dermatologist told me she never seen melanoma that small and sends all the samples out to a dermapathologist.

My oncologist said he wanted to get a second opinion at the cleveland clinic on pathology just to make sure. So Ive been waiting 2 weeks for this second opinion. I finally called today and the receptionist told me that cleveland doesnt want to give a final diagnoses until they see the whole block.

I asked politely whats the whole block and she says the whole specimen. I guess they only sent out the slides. My stomach dropped. This all happened thursday (today). Im wondering why they cant give out a diagnoses on the initial slides they received?

I just seen my surgeon on tuesday and he looked at initial path. He said we can do up to 1cm but we usually do .5cm for in situ. I told him I would be more comfortable with the 1cm and he said that was ok. Now my question is do I have to wait for the second pathology or can I go along with this surgery. In my path the dermis was clear but the peripherals were still positive. I just want it out. My surgery is scheduled for monday.

I mean can this pathology from cleveland change my course of surgery? ( the number one question i liked answered or get opinions from others)  I had a WLE in that area would they do another SLNB on me. Would anything else need to be done beside excision?  I have no swollen nodes just this initial in situ path. The sample taken was .4 mm deep and .2 x.2 wide.

This is just so crazy I have a 2 year old at home and another on the way.

Thanx Greg

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics