The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

need some input please

Forums General Melanoma Community need some input please

Participant

So here's a quick overview. I was diagnosed 3b in 2013, positive lymph nodes in groin, had a clnd and did ipi 3mg for the whole 1 1/2 years. Last Aug on one of my scans I had 2 spots on lung and large medistinal(?) lymph nodes with the largest measuring 2.4cm x 2.3cm. I had a lung biopsy for the node which came back as a normal node, no cancer or inflammation. At this time I thought it was histoplasmosis because prior to the scan I was around some feed mills and bird droppings. So I had another ct in Nov. which showed the node was 2.1 cm x 2.1cm so it went down but not much. This has been stable the whole time with no change to the nodes or spots. So I went in for my pet the other day and the spots didn't show up at all but the node showed hot. I guess I'm a little nervous since my lymphatic system has already been infected. I also don't know what to think because the spots didn't show up so they are just scar tissue I guess but if it was histoplasmosis would it still be in my node and also it didn't show up in my node after the biopsy. My onc is going to be talking to the surgeon to see what she thinks but she is leaning toward a biopsy. What do you guys think. I would sure like to get some input. Thanks, Rachel

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Getting a biopsy of the lymph node seems the logical next step, just to know for sure if it is enlarged due to melanoma or not. It is good the lung spots did not show up on the PET scan, lungs spots can mean a number of things, but usually a good sign when they don't light up. 

All the best,

Toby0987
            Participant

I'm also 3b as of 2013. I had a spot on my lung and we just watched it because the radiologist thought it looked like a mucus plug. It has since disappeared. I had a pet last month and my appendix lite up and another node in my abdomen. I'm going back in June to see if it went away. I'd say a biopsy will b due for me if the node is hot for me. Probably the same for you. I go up to mayo/ Rochester. I've heard different radiologists can read melanoma better. Don't know if that's true. But it may be worth Checking out another pet team if you are not 100% they are the best-just somethings to think about. Good luck

Toby0987
              Participant

I'm also 3b as of 2013. I had a spot on my lung and we just watched it because the radiologist thought it looked like a mucus plug. It has since disappeared. I had a pet last month and my appendix lite up and another node in my abdomen. I'm going back in June to see if it went away. I'd say a biopsy will b due for me if the node is hot for me. Probably the same for you. I go up to mayo/ Rochester. I've heard different radiologists can read melanoma better. Don't know if that's true. But it may be worth Checking out another pet team if you are not 100% they are the best-just somethings to think about. Good luck

Toby0987
                Participant

jennunicorn
                Participant

Getting a biopsy of the lymph node seems the logical next step, just to know for sure if it is enlarged due to melanoma or not. It is good the lung spots did not show up on the PET scan, lungs spots can mean a number of things, but usually a good sign when they don't light up. 

All the best,

jennunicorn
                  Participant

All the best,

Cynthia C
                    Participant

I would get the biopsy. I know you had a previous biopsy of the node but I think the mediastinal nodes are not easy to biopsy and could have missed a tumor area in the node. Please keep us informed. I'll be praying for you!

Cynthia

Cynthia C
                      Participant

I would get the biopsy. I know you had a previous biopsy of the node but I think the mediastinal nodes are not easy to biopsy and could have missed a tumor area in the node. Please keep us informed. I'll be praying for you!

Cynthia

Cynthia C
                        Participant

Cynthia

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics