The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

need some help with understanding the report

Forums General Melanoma Community need some help with understanding the report

Participant

Hi –

I got my pathology report today. Here's what it says:

Hi –

I got my pathology report today. Here's what it says:

Micro examination: This excisional biopsy measured 9 x 6 x 1 mm. and is cut in three sections and submitted in toto. In parts of the lesion there are typical features of dysplastic nevus with lentigunous proliferation of nests and single atypical pigmented melanocytes along the dermo-epidermal junction with fibroplasias in the dermal papillae. However, there are areas in lesion of epithelioid pigmented melanocytes in the epidermis. There is some upward migration of single cells. As well as there are similar nests of atypical melanocytes infiltrating the papillary dermis with a dense infiltrate of lymphocytes and melanophages. The morphology is compatible with a malignant melanoma, level 2 invasion developing in a dysplastic nevus. The vertical height measurement is 0.47mm. and there is no ulceration. The lesion is completely excited in the plane of section examined. The mitotic index is two mitoses per 1mm. squared.

Diagnosis: Malignant melanoma developing in a dysplastic nevus, level 2 invasion, vertical height 0.47mm.

I honestly don't know what it says. I would also like to know if anyone recommends SNB. The doctor said I don't need one, but I want to make sure that I make the right decision.

Thank you!

Alexandra

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Alexandra,

This report is saying that you have a Clarks level 2, Breslow of .47 with a miotic rate of 2.  Usually an SNB is done for .75 if ulcerated . Yours is thinner than that with no ulceration. You should be having a wide excision just to make sure that there is a safe margin.  According to standard protocal you should not be having an SNB.

Have they scheduled the wide excision?   Glad to see that it was a fairly thin melanoma.  Make sure to continue to check your skin in the future!

Linda

Stage IV for 5 years , 7 weeks NED   multiple primaries

lhaley
          Participant

Alexandra,

This report is saying that you have a Clarks level 2, Breslow of .47 with a miotic rate of 2.  Usually an SNB is done for .75 if ulcerated . Yours is thinner than that with no ulceration. You should be having a wide excision just to make sure that there is a safe margin.  According to standard protocal you should not be having an SNB.

Have they scheduled the wide excision?   Glad to see that it was a fairly thin melanoma.  Make sure to continue to check your skin in the future!

Linda

Stage IV for 5 years , 7 weeks NED   multiple primaries

MichaelFL
            Participant

As far as melanoma goes, you are in a good place. This is a fairly thin lesion with no ulceration which is good. At a .47 mm Breslow and 2 mitosis (rate of cell division), that puts you at stage 1B.

A SNB is not usually considered until the melanoma is .755 if ulcerated and 1.0 mm if not ulcerated.

Congratulate yourself for catching this early!

Keep up the skin checks for "change" and the derm visits too.

Michael-1B as well.

MichaelFL
                Participant

Sorry-have not had coffee yet.

It should say: A SNB is not usually considered until the melanoma is .75 mm if ulcerated and 1.0 mm if not ulcerated.

MichaelFL
                  Participant

Sorry-have not had coffee yet.

It should say: A SNB is not usually considered until the melanoma is .75 mm if ulcerated and 1.0 mm if not ulcerated.

Ranisa
                    Participant

It almost doesn't get any better than this.  It is a stage 1A.  Anything under 1 mm and no unceration is a A.

Ranisa
                      Participant

Sorry it is a "B" the mitoses got me.  Stage 1B-me too!

MichaelFL
                        Participant

Yes. That is what kicked me to 1b too. The mitosis.

MichaelFL
                          Participant

Yes. That is what kicked me to 1b too. The mitosis.

Ranisa
                            Participant

Sorry it is a "B" the mitoses got me.  Stage 1B-me too!

Ranisa
                              Participant

It almost doesn't get any better than this.  It is a stage 1A.  Anything under 1 mm and no unceration is a A.

MichaelFL
                              Participant

As far as melanoma goes, you are in a good place. This is a fairly thin lesion with no ulceration which is good. At a .47 mm Breslow and 2 mitosis (rate of cell division), that puts you at stage 1B.

A SNB is not usually considered until the melanoma is .755 if ulcerated and 1.0 mm if not ulcerated.

Congratulate yourself for catching this early!

Keep up the skin checks for "change" and the derm visits too.

Michael-1B as well.

alexandra
                                Participant

Thank you so much for all your replies. I really appreciate you took the time to read my report.

The derm is scheduling me for WLE. She referred me to a plastic surgeon and said no lymphnode biopsy is needed.

Thank you again for helping me to undersand the report.

alexandra
                                  Participant

Thank you so much for all your replies. I really appreciate you took the time to read my report.

The derm is scheduling me for WLE. She referred me to a plastic surgeon and said no lymphnode biopsy is needed.

Thank you again for helping me to undersand the report.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics