The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Need recommendation for oncologist in Chicago

Forums General Melanoma Community Need recommendation for oncologist in Chicago

Participant

Hello! My mother just got diagnosed last week with melanoma. She has recently moved to the Chicago area. We don't know what stage it is yet. The next step is the surgery to remove the larger area. She also has a couple of places on her back — one of these she was told to get checked out a year ago but she never did. 

We have an appt with Dr. Choi at the University of Chicago and another appt this week with Dr. Bines and Dr. Kaufman at Rush. We have an appt with MD Anderson on Nov 2.

Hello! My mother just got diagnosed last week with melanoma. She has recently moved to the Chicago area. We don't know what stage it is yet. The next step is the surgery to remove the larger area. She also has a couple of places on her back — one of these she was told to get checked out a year ago but she never did. 

We have an appt with Dr. Choi at the University of Chicago and another appt this week with Dr. Bines and Dr. Kaufman at Rush. We have an appt with MD Anderson on Nov 2.

Does anyone have any insight into any of these doctors or any other recommendations? We will go wherever we have to go.

Thanks,

Michelle

Viewing 29 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I really think it would make much more sense to know the staging before you run all over getting extra opinions.  If this is an earlier stage melanoma, then none of that is needed.  The surgery for extra margins would be the entire treatment.  If it has advanced, you would still need to have the wide excision and sentinel lymph node biopsy done, the sentinel node would need to be positive, and then scans done to see if there were evidence of spread elsewhere.  All of that would need to be in place prior to any treatment decision.  Unless you know for sure your Mom's melanoma is advanced, it seems like you might be jumping the gun on the second opinions.  Basically, you need to know her current status before opinions (one or many) can be given on treatment.  There is a pretty consistent standard of care for staging – and after you get the staging complete, THAT is when opinions on treatment can be helpful or plainly not needed. 

Do you have a copy of her pathology report?  That could at least give you an initial staging and some indication of risk for spread.  I'd ask for a copy for your Mom's own records.

Best wishes,

Janner

Chicago_Michelle
            Participant

Thanks, Janner. They have not given us a stage. We thought that would be told to us after the surgery and biopsy. I hope you are right that we are jumping the gun. I will be happy to kill a fly with a sledgehammar if that's how it turns out.

My Mom moved and that is part of why we are looking for someone new. We have no experience with this. I am also very concerned with a couple of places on her back. One of these itched her for a year and she was told by her Nurse Practitioner to get it looked at but she never did.

We do have a copy of her pathology report and we sent it to the new doctors we have appointments with so we should know more after talking to them.

I want to be sure that the doctor who does her surgery is good. I think other patients are often the best sources of information on these things.

Thanks for your help. 

Michelle

Janner
              Participant

If you post your report here, we could be of more help.  Much of our "advice" depends on that report.  Many of us know how to read the report as it relates to staging.

Janner
                Participant

If you post your report here, we could be of more help.  Much of our "advice" depends on that report.  Many of us know how to read the report as it relates to staging.

Janner
                  Participant

Chicago_Michelle
                    Participant

Thanks, Janner. They have not given us a stage. We thought that would be told to us after the surgery and biopsy. I hope you are right that we are jumping the gun. I will be happy to kill a fly with a sledgehammar if that's how it turns out.

My Mom moved and that is part of why we are looking for someone new. We have no experience with this. I am also very concerned with a couple of places on her back. One of these itched her for a year and she was told by her Nurse Practitioner to get it looked at but she never did.

We do have a copy of her pathology report and we sent it to the new doctors we have appointments with so we should know more after talking to them.

I want to be sure that the doctor who does her surgery is good. I think other patients are often the best sources of information on these things.

Thanks for your help. 

Michelle

Chicago_Michelle
                      Participant

Thanks for your help. 

Michelle

Janner
                      Participant

I really think it would make much more sense to know the staging before you run all over getting extra opinions.  If this is an earlier stage melanoma, then none of that is needed.  The surgery for extra margins would be the entire treatment.  If it has advanced, you would still need to have the wide excision and sentinel lymph node biopsy done, the sentinel node would need to be positive, and then scans done to see if there were evidence of spread elsewhere.  All of that would need to be in place prior to any treatment decision.  Unless you know for sure your Mom's melanoma is advanced, it seems like you might be jumping the gun on the second opinions.  Basically, you need to know her current status before opinions (one or many) can be given on treatment.  There is a pretty consistent standard of care for staging – and after you get the staging complete, THAT is when opinions on treatment can be helpful or plainly not needed. 

Do you have a copy of her pathology report?  That could at least give you an initial staging and some indication of risk for spread.  I'd ask for a copy for your Mom's own records.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                        Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

JC
                          Participant

What I know of:

Dr Kaufman at Rush

Dr Kuzel at Northwestern

Dr Brockstein at NorthShore

Dr Gajewski at U of Chicago

Dr Richards at Lutheran General

Dr Clark at Loyola

Those are oncologists, as far as the surgery:

Dr Winchester Jr, NorthShore

Dr Yao, NorthShore

Dr Sharpless, Lake Forest

Dr Wayne, Northwestern

JC
                              Participant

There's also more info at http://www.chicagomelanomaconsortium.org/

In terms of "killing a fly with a sledgehammer" I hear what you're saying but if it's an early stage there isn't much more they'd do after surgery

JC
                                Participant

In terms of "killing a fly with a sledgehammer" I hear what you're saying but if it's an early stage there isn't much more they'd do after surgery

JC
                                  Participant

JC
                                  Participant

What I know of:

Dr Kaufman at Rush

Dr Kuzel at Northwestern

Dr Clark at Loyola

Dr Yao, NorthShore

Dr Wayne, Northwestern

JC
                                    Participant

What I know of:

Dr Kaufman at Rush

Dr Kuzel at Northwestern

Dr Clark at Loyola

Dr Yao, NorthShore

Dr Wayne, Northwestern

Tim–MRF

I am sorry to hear of your mother's diagnosis.  

As others have said, a lot depends on the staging.  If her melanoma is Stage I the standard of care is observation.  In this case you only need a dermatologist who is good in melanoma.

If the melanoma is Stage II you may want to have a Sentinel Node Biopsy done.  This procedure uses a radioactive dye to find the lymph node into which the region of the lesion drains.  That node is removed and investigated for signs that tumor cells have migrated into the lymph system.  If not, the standard of care is observation.  If so, your mother would be considered Stage III.  Depending on the level of migration, the doctor may recommend removing all lymph nodes in the region.  This work is done by a surgical oncologist.

Once the melanoma is Stage III, it is time also to see a medical oncologist about any systemic treatment.  Some people choose to do no systemic treatment at this stage, and depending on how severe the Stage III disease is, the doctor may, again, recommend observation.

If your mother is at this point, she will also have scans to see if they find any evidence that the tumor has spread to other parts of the body.  If so, the medical oncologist will likely recommend systemic treatment.  Traditional chemotherapy has had limited success in melanoma, so the more current treatment approaches fall into two categories:  immunotherapy and targeted therapy.  

In the former, the doctor prescribes treatments designed to engage the immune system in fighting the cancer.  Some of these, like IL2 (interleukin 2) "rev up" the immune system.  Others, like Yervoy, essentially "remove the brakes"–take away the checkpoints the body naturally uses to prevent autoimmune disease.

Targeted therapy, in contrast, addresses a specific genetic mutation in the tumor cells that is allowing them to grow out of control.  To take these drugs, the tumor must have a specific mutation that a drug can target.

Having said all of that, here is what I know:

I don't know Dr. Choi. He is a surgical oncologist who does melanoma surgery, but his primary interests, according to his profile, are in other types of cancer.

I have me Dr. Bines once, I believe.  He is also a surgical oncologist and he does have significant research interests in melanoma.

Dr. Kaufman I know well.  he is also a surgical oncologist, but in many ways acts more like a medical oncologist.  He is very strong in the immunotherapy approach, and is one of strongest proponents of a particular therapy called IL-2.  You will find Howard very collaborative and thoughtful, I believe.

If you know the doctor at MD Anderson I may know that person as well.  They have a strong melanoma program, as you probably know.

This is a lot of information, and I hope is not too confusing.  Please keep us posted and let me know if I can help.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

As others have said, a lot depends on the staging.  If her melanoma is Stage I the standard of care is observation.  In this case you only need a dermatologist who is good in melanoma.

If the melanoma is Stage II you may want to have a Sentinel Node Biopsy done.  This procedure uses a radioactive dye to find the lymph node into which the region of the lesion drains.  That node is removed and investigated for signs that tumor cells have migrated into the lymph system.  If not, the standard of care is observation.  If so, your mother would be considered Stage III.  Depending on the level of migration, the doctor may recommend removing all lymph nodes in the region.  This work is done by a surgical oncologist.

Once the melanoma is Stage III, it is time also to see a medical oncologist about any systemic treatment.  Some people choose to do no systemic treatment at this stage, and depending on how severe the Stage III disease is, the doctor may, again, recommend observation.

If your mother is at this point, she will also have scans to see if they find any evidence that the tumor has spread to other parts of the body.  If so, the medical oncologist will likely recommend systemic treatment.  Traditional chemotherapy has had limited success in melanoma, so the more current treatment approaches fall into two categories:  immunotherapy and targeted therapy.  

In the former, the doctor prescribes treatments designed to engage the immune system in fighting the cancer.  Some of these, like IL2 (interleukin 2) "rev up" the immune system.  Others, like Yervoy, essentially "remove the brakes"–take away the checkpoints the body naturally uses to prevent autoimmune disease.

Targeted therapy, in contrast, addresses a specific genetic mutation in the tumor cells that is allowing them to grow out of control.  To take these drugs, the tumor must have a specific mutation that a drug can target.

I don't know Dr. Choi. He is a surgical oncologist who does melanoma surgery, but his primary interests, according to his profile, are in other types of cancer.

I have me Dr. Bines once, I believe.  He is also a surgical oncologist and he does have significant research interests in melanoma.

Dr. Kaufman I know well.  he is also a surgical oncologist, but in many ways acts more like a medical oncologist.  He is very strong in the immunotherapy approach, and is one of strongest proponents of a particular therapy called IL-2.  You will find Howard very collaborative and thoughtful, I believe.

If you know the doctor at MD Anderson I may know that person as well.  They have a strong melanoma program, as you probably know.

This is a lot of information, and I hope is not too confusing.  Please keep us posted and let me know if I can help.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Lori C
                                            Participant

Personally would go with Kaufman or Gajewski and avoid Richards.  Those are the ones we had experience with.

Lori (caregiver to Will)

kristine
                                                Participant

I agree with Lori (Caregiver to David)

kristine
                                                  Participant

kristine
                                                    Participant

Lori C
                                                    Participant

Personally would go with Kaufman or Gajewski and avoid Richards.  Those are the ones we had experience with.

Lori (caregiver to Will)

Lori C
                                                      Participant

Lori (caregiver to Will)

MikeWI
                                                        Participant

Michelle,

You may also want to try the Carbone cancer center in Madison WI.  The melanoma specialist there.  Mark Albertini, is very knowledgable and easy to deal with.  The cancer center is part of the University of Wisconsin and is about 90 miles from the western burbs of Chicago.

Thanks,

MikeWI.

stage 2c, currently after recent scans NED

MikeWI
                                                          Participant

Michelle,

You may also want to try the Carbone cancer center in Madison WI.  The melanoma specialist there.  Mark Albertini, is very knowledgable and easy to deal with.  The cancer center is part of the University of Wisconsin and is about 90 miles from the western burbs of Chicago.

Thanks,

MikeWI.

MikeWI
                                                            Participant

Michelle,

Thanks,

MikeWI.

JC
                                                              Participant

Just curious to know if you ended up choosing someone in Chicago and if you are satisfied with them? 

JC
                                                                Participant

Just curious to know if you ended up choosing someone in Chicago and if you are satisfied with them? 

JC
                                                                  Participant

mclaus23
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Dr Kaufman!!! he is my fathers oncologist and is amazing. He lives and breathes melanoma. He is absolutely amazing and so is his staff. He has been treating my father for 1.5 years and he is in remission now
                                                                      mclaus23
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        Dr Kaufman!!! he is my fathers oncologist and is amazing. He lives and breathes melanoma. He is absolutely amazing and so is his staff. He has been treating my father for 1.5 years and he is in remission now
                                                                        mclaus23
                                                                        Participant
                                                                            mclaus23
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              Also, Dr Yao is an amazing surgeon. She did all of my fathers surgeries. Lover her. She is very personable and unbelievable.
                                                                              mclaus23
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                Also, Dr Yao is an amazing surgeon. She did all of my fathers surgeries. Lover her. She is very personable and unbelievable.
                                                                                mclaus23
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  clientcommon
                                                                                  Participant

She did great work and take care about yourself and your every problems.

http://www.promos10.com

clientcommon
                                                                                    Participant

clientcommon
                                                                                      Participant

jupeter41
                                                                                      Participant

Found something new information and will should checked what is reason behind this all problems then justify.

submersible pressure transmitter

jupeter41
                                                                                        Participant

Found something new information and will should checked what is reason behind this all problems then justify.

jupeter41
                                                                                          Participant

clientcommon
                                                                                            Participant

You should check all report given by doctor and take decision for stage came for your mother,there will be no late by the way.

home pest controls

clientcommon
                                                                                              Participant

You should check all report given by doctor and take decision for stage came for your mother,there will be no late by the way.

home pest controls

clientcommon
                                                                                                Participant

home pest controls

tuneseo
                                                                                                  Participant

Do not worry and all thing will done well and stay in pisitive mind with your mother and gives better support.

payroll compliance software

tuneseo
                                                                                                    Participant

Do not worry and all thing will done well and stay in pisitive mind with your mother and gives better support.

tuneseo
                                                                                                      Participant

Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics