The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

need more info about nodular melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community need more info about nodular melanoma

Participant

hi,

hi,

My friend has found out that she has a nodular melanoma. Unfortunately I did not find a lot of info about this unusual type of melanoma… most of the information available is very general and probably more relevant for any other type of melanoma… i am specifically looking for information regarding the prognosis of nodular melanoma, if within a month a lump has grown back on my friend's neck and was 200mm big! however, this 200mm does not refer to how deep it grown back. i don't know how deep it grown back because the doctor who looks after my friend is not very precise!!!

I just want to find out some more details information as to how nodular melanoma needs to be treated and more importantly, what is the suggested timescale for all treatments.

I would be very grateful for any additional information.

Best to all

Karolina

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        vickie
        Participant

Hi karolina,

Nodular melanoma is considered the most aggressive type of MM, however the treatment protocols are still based on breslow thickness(measured in millimeters) and Clarks level ( how many layers of skin the lesion has penetrated) just like any other type of Melanoma. If the initial lesion was 200 mm deep (that sounds fishy, a dermatopathologist would call it 20 centimeters)  and that would be almost 8 inches depth penetration. Unlikely.

Your friend should ask her doctor for a copy of the pathology report of both the intial lesion and of the biopsy done on the secondary growth.Ask for Breslow thickness, were clear margins obtained? Then she or you can post that information on the main board where you will get a lot more feed back than here on the off topic forum.

I had a nodular melanoma in 2002, Breslow .4 mm and clarks level 2. It was removed via wide local excission (WLE) with 1 centimeter clear margins. I'm alive and well with no evidence of disease.

Aloha

Vickie

BillMFl
            Participant

Aloha Vickie

We will be in Maui Wed pm. Staying in a condo at Ekahi Village, Wailea. Don't be surprised if I drop by for lunch during our stay!

BillMFl
              Participant

Aloha Vickie

We will be in Maui Wed pm. Staying in a condo at Ekahi Village, Wailea. Don't be surprised if I drop by for lunch during our stay!

BillMFl
                Participant

Aloha Vickie

BillMFl
                  Participant

Aloha Vickie

BillMFl
                    Participant

Aloha Vickie

BillMFl
                      Participant

Aloha Vickie

vickie
                      Participant

Hi karolina,

Nodular melanoma is considered the most aggressive type of MM, however the treatment protocols are still based on breslow thickness(measured in millimeters) and Clarks level ( how many layers of skin the lesion has penetrated) just like any other type of Melanoma. If the initial lesion was 200 mm deep (that sounds fishy, a dermatopathologist would call it 20 centimeters)  and that would be almost 8 inches depth penetration. Unlikely.

Your friend should ask her doctor for a copy of the pathology report of both the intial lesion and of the biopsy done on the secondary growth.Ask for Breslow thickness, were clear margins obtained? Then she or you can post that information on the main board where you will get a lot more feed back than here on the off topic forum.

I had a nodular melanoma in 2002, Breslow .4 mm and clarks level 2. It was removed via wide local excission (WLE) with 1 centimeter clear margins. I'm alive and well with no evidence of disease.

Aloha

Vickie

vickie
                        Participant

Hi karolina,

Aloha

Vickie

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics