The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Need Advice on whether to do second biopsy

Forums General Melanoma Community Need Advice on whether to do second biopsy

Participant

First, I want to thank everyone on this site. It is a wealth of information and the compassion here is amazing. I posted yesterday about the accuracy of my biopsy results related to the streak in my nail. I got some great advice from Janner and polydad, then I received a call from my doctor today since I spoke with only the nurse yesterday. She said she was reassured that there was no cancer found, when I asked her what the cause of the pigmentation was she said “it is possible that the site of the pigmentation was so small that it was missed on the biopsy. Another option would be to remove part of the nail and repeat the biopsy.” Im flabbergasted, we had discussed removing the nail and on the day of the procedure she convinced me that she was confident we could biopsy only under the nail fold to determine what was causing the pigment. What should I do? I was already questioning the results and then she drops this on me. Is this common? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thank you!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        MelanomaMike
        Participant

Hello Anon, all i can say is, thats a tuff one, can i recommend following yer heart? i mean, my "Primary" mole stayed on my leg from lets say the year 2000 til 2008 when i finaly got fed up with its growth, from 2000 to about 2006 it stayed flat but got dark, black the by 2007 it started raising like a wart. So, all that time & i wasnt knowledgable about Melanoma, i coulda prevented 6 different surgeries since, and now another fight with tumors in my lungs…do you really wanna gamble?

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics