The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Need advice for Stage IIA follow up

Forums General Melanoma Community Need advice for Stage IIA follow up

Participant

Hi,

Hi,

Haven't been on here for quite awhile.  I get on once in awhile to see how people are doing but am mostly just trying to "live life".  Next month will be my 9 year anniversary with good old NED.  (I had a 1.53 mm, ulcerated melanoma, mitotic index of at least 17 mitoses per square mm., lymphocytic host response of +2 on left hip)  I just had my onc appointment in June and he says he doesn't need to see me anymore….that it is highly unlikely that it will come back after this long.  As much as I believe that is probably true, I don't want to risk anything either.  I have been followed with chest xrays and lab work once a year with a different onc that doesn't come to my area anymore so switched oncs.  Not sure that was a great idea but this guy was supposed to have more experience with melanoma than the one before.  I do still see the dermatologist once a year too.  What kind of follow up are other Stage IIA people out there receiving?

Thanks so much for all you guys do!

JennerFromIowa

Stage IIA 

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jamietk
        Participant

I too am stage IIA. I think my Dr.plans to keep me on annual xray and bloodwork forever. I could be wrong since I'm only in year 6. I've heard 10 years is the magic number. I also think follow-up for each stage is highly controversial. I've seen and heard quite a wide range of follow-up. After 5 years, my Dr. said I only had a 2%-3% chance of having a recurrence. So it is true, you are likely to never see it again. If it were me, I'd probably really push for the annual xray and bloodwork. I don't think your Dr. is necessarily wrong. I've seen higher stages do no follow-up after 10 years. But I plan to do annual forever. jmho. Best of luck to you.

Jamietk
          Participant

I too am stage IIA. I think my Dr.plans to keep me on annual xray and bloodwork forever. I could be wrong since I'm only in year 6. I've heard 10 years is the magic number. I also think follow-up for each stage is highly controversial. I've seen and heard quite a wide range of follow-up. After 5 years, my Dr. said I only had a 2%-3% chance of having a recurrence. So it is true, you are likely to never see it again. If it were me, I'd probably really push for the annual xray and bloodwork. I don't think your Dr. is necessarily wrong. I've seen higher stages do no follow-up after 10 years. But I plan to do annual forever. jmho. Best of luck to you.

dutchchic
            Participant

Hey I was a stage 1B and just spoke to an Oncology nurse that has been doing this for years…( I am an RN, but didn't know anything about Oncology until this June  : (   ….)

Anyway, when I told her my story and asked if i should be followed at all, She was 100% sure I should be for the rest of my life. She said that there are many cases that show up decades later… not what i wanted to hear, but an annual follow up to be sure sounds like a good plan….

congrats to you tho!

dutchchic
              Participant

Hey I was a stage 1B and just spoke to an Oncology nurse that has been doing this for years…( I am an RN, but didn't know anything about Oncology until this June  : (   ….)

Anyway, when I told her my story and asked if i should be followed at all, She was 100% sure I should be for the rest of my life. She said that there are many cases that show up decades later… not what i wanted to hear, but an annual follow up to be sure sounds like a good plan….

congrats to you tho!

dian in spokane
                Participant

Jenner! How nice to see you. I can't really speak to your question.You may remember I was stage I for 20 yrs before I advanced to stage III. I never had an oncologist back then, and no one would have even suggested it.

I was the one who found my own recurrence and my derm ignored my concerns for a full year before doing a biopsy.

I think if you have a good working relationship with your derm, and s/he listens to your concerns and would immediately refer you if something came up, then you sould be fine!

Of course you can never really let down your guard, but maybe you will find ways through your primary care doctor to have periodic chest Xrays for cause (like, doc I have this wheezy cough and it worries me with my history) and include appropriate blood work.

Of course it IS highly  unlikely it will ever come back at this point, but I am a perfect example of the exception to the rules. However..I don't believe that having an onc all those years would have changed things much.

Besides the occasional test, what else has your oncologist done for you lately..over all these NED years. I try to see mine less and less <g>

Great to see you here and doing so well! congratulations.

dian in spokane

dian in spokane
                  Participant

Jenner! How nice to see you. I can't really speak to your question.You may remember I was stage I for 20 yrs before I advanced to stage III. I never had an oncologist back then, and no one would have even suggested it.

I was the one who found my own recurrence and my derm ignored my concerns for a full year before doing a biopsy.

I think if you have a good working relationship with your derm, and s/he listens to your concerns and would immediately refer you if something came up, then you sould be fine!

Of course you can never really let down your guard, but maybe you will find ways through your primary care doctor to have periodic chest Xrays for cause (like, doc I have this wheezy cough and it worries me with my history) and include appropriate blood work.

Of course it IS highly  unlikely it will ever come back at this point, but I am a perfect example of the exception to the rules. However..I don't believe that having an onc all those years would have changed things much.

Besides the occasional test, what else has your oncologist done for you lately..over all these NED years. I try to see mine less and less <g>

Great to see you here and doing so well! congratulations.

dian in spokane

JennerFromIowa
                      Participant

Hi Dian!  Nice to hear from you!  Also nice to be remembered:-)  Hope all is going well for you.  I think my regular doc may be the answer.  Her Mom had melanoma years ago and is still NED so she knows the back-stabbing ways of melanoma.  Just when you think you're free and clear, it sneaks up on ya and stabs ya in the back!  I will still remain deligent in my care because I just don't trust it!  Thanks again and stay well.

dian in spokane
                        Participant

Jenner, I am doing well. I advanced to stage IV in late 08 via distant subcutaneous Mets. To demonstrate my thoughts on daDocs, I pointed out the small lump in my left leg to my oncologist at my september appt, she said it was 'nothing' and we agreed to just monitor it till my next scan. We'd been doing chest and ab cts only, so we decided on a PET/CT in december, which I pushed off till january for insurance reasons kind of based on her lack of concern. It was surgically resected in 1/09, then another sprung up right in the same area, which was also surgically removed..the second tumor was sent down to CA. for the MACVAC trial, which I last december.

I happily remain NED, though I had my tonsils removed and biopsied two and a half weeks ago (a tortuous recovery still ongoing) because of continued growth and SUV readings on my PET/CTs

I love it that you have a primary care doc who has intimate knowledge of melanoma. I'll bet she'll agree in a heartbeat to follow up with xrays and bloodwork. In my opinion, having a doctor one can trust is really key!

I hope you don't stay away so long, but again, I wanted to say 'nice to see you' and well done keeping melanoma out of your life.

dian

JennerFromIowa
                          Participant

20 years later is the pits!!  A person shouldn't have to worry about it that long!  I know…..I'm dreaming.  Anyway, I am so glad that you are still dancing with NED!  Hoping and praying that you have many many more melanoma free years!  Nice to hear from you.  Stay well.

JennerFromIowa
                            Participant

20 years later is the pits!!  A person shouldn't have to worry about it that long!  I know…..I'm dreaming.  Anyway, I am so glad that you are still dancing with NED!  Hoping and praying that you have many many more melanoma free years!  Nice to hear from you.  Stay well.

dian in spokane
                              Participant

Jenner, I am doing well. I advanced to stage IV in late 08 via distant subcutaneous Mets. To demonstrate my thoughts on daDocs, I pointed out the small lump in my left leg to my oncologist at my september appt, she said it was 'nothing' and we agreed to just monitor it till my next scan. We'd been doing chest and ab cts only, so we decided on a PET/CT in december, which I pushed off till january for insurance reasons kind of based on her lack of concern. It was surgically resected in 1/09, then another sprung up right in the same area, which was also surgically removed..the second tumor was sent down to CA. for the MACVAC trial, which I last december.

I happily remain NED, though I had my tonsils removed and biopsied two and a half weeks ago (a tortuous recovery still ongoing) because of continued growth and SUV readings on my PET/CTs

I love it that you have a primary care doc who has intimate knowledge of melanoma. I'll bet she'll agree in a heartbeat to follow up with xrays and bloodwork. In my opinion, having a doctor one can trust is really key!

I hope you don't stay away so long, but again, I wanted to say 'nice to see you' and well done keeping melanoma out of your life.

dian

JennerFromIowa
                                Participant

Hi Dian!  Nice to hear from you!  Also nice to be remembered:-)  Hope all is going well for you.  I think my regular doc may be the answer.  Her Mom had melanoma years ago and is still NED so she knows the back-stabbing ways of melanoma.  Just when you think you're free and clear, it sneaks up on ya and stabs ya in the back!  I will still remain deligent in my care because I just don't trust it!  Thanks again and stay well.

Tracy Seattle
                                Participant

Hi Jennifer – I too went from Stage 1 to stage 3 at it happened at exactly the 10 year mark.  Lucky Me!!!  Which I would have bought a lottery ticket.  I too did not have an oncologist and was only doing check backs with the dermatologist.  You could have knocked me over with a feather when I was told the golf ball size lump under my arm was Melanoma.  The radiologist told me he was sure that's what it was before the biopsy results came back.  I had convinced myself he was wrong by the time I finally got them 5 days later.  But sigh he was wrong.

I think vigilance is probably the best advice.  Hopefully this is it for you and you will never have to deal with this crap again.

Tracy

Stage 3

Tracy Seattle
                                  Participant

Hi Jennifer – I too went from Stage 1 to stage 3 at it happened at exactly the 10 year mark.  Lucky Me!!!  Which I would have bought a lottery ticket.  I too did not have an oncologist and was only doing check backs with the dermatologist.  You could have knocked me over with a feather when I was told the golf ball size lump under my arm was Melanoma.  The radiologist told me he was sure that's what it was before the biopsy results came back.  I had convinced myself he was wrong by the time I finally got them 5 days later.  But sigh he was wrong.

I think vigilance is probably the best advice.  Hopefully this is it for you and you will never have to deal with this crap again.

Tracy

Stage 3

Tracy Seattle
                                    Participant

Tracy

Stage 3

Tracy Seattle
                                      Participant

Tracy

Stage 3

ChrisTheWilsonZoo
                                        Participant

Now there is a question for which we'd all like an answer!  What IS the proper follow-up once we've finally attained NED?  No two oncologists or melanoma/cancer centers have the same answer!  Some do PET scans, some do CT & MRI; and they all seem to have different standards as to which parts of the body are included in their scans. 

Not even the federal government (who always seem to have an answer to every question) has an answer to this one.  Who is a patient supposed to believe is right?  We can only hope that someday, someone will finally do a clinical study and provide us a definitive answer.  And here's hoping when they finally do, the results will be something we can live with and they won't be anything like the revised mammogram guidelines they published a couple of years ago that not even the ACS endorsed!

Anyway, melanoma is an evil, heartless, capricious bitch of a disease.  You'll find plenty of examples on this board of people who went 10 and even 20 years between their initial stage I or II diagnosis and their eventual stage III or IV recurrence.  Personally, I don't think you can ever fully relax your vigilance. 

I was initially diagnosed in 1992 (probably stage II).  At that time, follow-up instructions were "watch for suspicious moles".  Since part of my surgeon's treatment had included him "shaving" off every mole on my body he could find (30+), it was probably 10 years before I had any moles worth watching! 

My stage III recurrence was 17 years later in 2009.   No mole was involved – it went straight to a single lymph node under my right arm.  (The melanoma diagnosis came as a massive surprise, as the breast doctor and I were both expecting either breast cancer or possibly lymphoma. Wisely, she had included my previous melanoma history on the pathology lab slip.)

Follow-up this time is quite a bit different.  Because oncologist considers me at high risk for a recurrence, his schedule is quite aggressive (his words).  His follow-up clock didn't actually start until after I completed my interferon, 14 months after I became surgically NED.  Year 1:  PET scan every 3 months.  Years 2-3:  PET scans every 4 months.  Years 4-5: PET scan every 6 months.  I have an agreement with my dermatologist that my skin exams follow the same schedule.

After the first 5 years, he switches to annual scans.  For melanoma at least, he appears to follow-up for life.  For me personally, given my personal experience and the capricious nature of melanoma, I'm OK with that.

Personally, I don't think you can ever fully relax your vigilance.  Melanoma returns with a vengeance whenever it damn well pleases, when you least expect it.  The best you can do is keep a weather eye out.  In the end, I think the answer is:  What are your expectations, what is your comfort level, and what level of risk are you willing to assume?

That's my 2cents, for what they're worth – and with today's economy, that ain't much!

JennerFromIowa
                                            Participant

So well said, Chris!  Love the name……"evil, hearless, capricious bitch of a disease"!  Very fitting!  Thanks for the insight!..! 

JennerFromIowa
                                              Participant

So well said, Chris!  Love the name……"evil, hearless, capricious bitch of a disease"!  Very fitting!  Thanks for the insight!..! 

ChrisTheWilsonZoo
                                              Participant

Now there is a question for which we'd all like an answer!  What IS the proper follow-up once we've finally attained NED?  No two oncologists or melanoma/cancer centers have the same answer!  Some do PET scans, some do CT & MRI; and they all seem to have different standards as to which parts of the body are included in their scans. 

Not even the federal government (who always seem to have an answer to every question) has an answer to this one.  Who is a patient supposed to believe is right?  We can only hope that someday, someone will finally do a clinical study and provide us a definitive answer.  And here's hoping when they finally do, the results will be something we can live with and they won't be anything like the revised mammogram guidelines they published a couple of years ago that not even the ACS endorsed!

Anyway, melanoma is an evil, heartless, capricious bitch of a disease.  You'll find plenty of examples on this board of people who went 10 and even 20 years between their initial stage I or II diagnosis and their eventual stage III or IV recurrence.  Personally, I don't think you can ever fully relax your vigilance. 

I was initially diagnosed in 1992 (probably stage II).  At that time, follow-up instructions were "watch for suspicious moles".  Since part of my surgeon's treatment had included him "shaving" off every mole on my body he could find (30+), it was probably 10 years before I had any moles worth watching! 

My stage III recurrence was 17 years later in 2009.   No mole was involved – it went straight to a single lymph node under my right arm.  (The melanoma diagnosis came as a massive surprise, as the breast doctor and I were both expecting either breast cancer or possibly lymphoma. Wisely, she had included my previous melanoma history on the pathology lab slip.)

Follow-up this time is quite a bit different.  Because oncologist considers me at high risk for a recurrence, his schedule is quite aggressive (his words).  His follow-up clock didn't actually start until after I completed my interferon, 14 months after I became surgically NED.  Year 1:  PET scan every 3 months.  Years 2-3:  PET scans every 4 months.  Years 4-5: PET scan every 6 months.  I have an agreement with my dermatologist that my skin exams follow the same schedule.

After the first 5 years, he switches to annual scans.  For melanoma at least, he appears to follow-up for life.  For me personally, given my personal experience and the capricious nature of melanoma, I'm OK with that.

Personally, I don't think you can ever fully relax your vigilance.  Melanoma returns with a vengeance whenever it damn well pleases, when you least expect it.  The best you can do is keep a weather eye out.  In the end, I think the answer is:  What are your expectations, what is your comfort level, and what level of risk are you willing to assume?

That's my 2cents, for what they're worth – and with today's economy, that ain't much!

JennerFromIowa
                                                Participant

Thanks everyone!  It always gives me a sense of well-being to come here and get some "experienced" answers!  I think I will either keep seeing my old onc although I will have to travel……but hey it's only once a year.  Or I will have my regular Dr. order the tests that I have always had in the past.  She can do that for my annual physical and probably will go along with that since her own mother had melanoma years ago.   Thanks again!   

JennerFromIowa
                                                  Participant

Thanks everyone!  It always gives me a sense of well-being to come here and get some "experienced" answers!  I think I will either keep seeing my old onc although I will have to travel……but hey it's only once a year.  Or I will have my regular Dr. order the tests that I have always had in the past.  She can do that for my annual physical and probably will go along with that since her own mother had melanoma years ago.   Thanks again!   

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics