The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

need 2nd opinion lung surgery

Forums General Melanoma Community need 2nd opinion lung surgery

Participant

hi – derek has a metastasis in a right hilar node – it showed up on a pet scan 2 years ago and is now growing (although slowly) surgeon at our hospital says it is unresectable – would love a second opinion anyone ever have this done and who was your surgeon?

we are likely starting Il-21 vs DTIC in a couple of weeks but if this is removable we want that option – derek is 37 and in otherwise good health

thank-you

hi – derek has a metastasis in a right hilar node – it showed up on a pet scan 2 years ago and is now growing (although slowly) surgeon at our hospital says it is unresectable – would love a second opinion anyone ever have this done and who was your surgeon?

we are likely starting Il-21 vs DTIC in a couple of weeks but if this is removable we want that option – derek is 37 and in otherwise good health

thank-you

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        acyr
        Participant

Hi Terra,

Did you contact Anthony at PMH for a second opinion on the resectable or not surgery?  I am sure he can provide one? It is hard for someone else to give an opinion without knowing the full details, but it is always worth getting a second opinion if there is time to do so.  I would encourage you to do so to give you better comfort in the path you both want to take.  Let me know if I can help.

Annette

acyr
          Participant

Hi Terra,

Did you contact Anthony at PMH for a second opinion on the resectable or not surgery?  I am sure he can provide one? It is hard for someone else to give an opinion without knowing the full details, but it is always worth getting a second opinion if there is time to do so.  I would encourage you to do so to give you better comfort in the path you both want to take.  Let me know if I can help.

Annette

ChrisB
            Participant

I also have a met in the right hilar node.  I was told that it would cause me to loose an entire lung if they tried to remove it due to its location.

Four years ago another patient posted that he did have his removed.  Here is the link to his post and followup questions:http://community.melanoma.org/cgi-bin/mpip/dbforum.pl?header=search&db=main_bb&post=337338

My best to you and Derek,

Chris

Terra
                Participant

Chris, did you think about the possibility of doing what the "1 lunger" did or was it not possible.  i have followed your posts for awhile – thanks for replying and hope you continue to do well on your trial.

ChrisB
                  Participant

Thanks for the well wishes Terra.

Yes, I've considered the possibility of going the same route as "1 lunger".  My onco was against it but has concurred that it is still a possibility if all else fails and a surgeon will do it.  Being that this hilar tumor is still active and tries to cause me grief every so often I may have to go that route.

All my best,

Chris

ChrisB
                    Participant

Thanks for the well wishes Terra.

Yes, I've considered the possibility of going the same route as "1 lunger".  My onco was against it but has concurred that it is still a possibility if all else fails and a surgeon will do it.  Being that this hilar tumor is still active and tries to cause me grief every so often I may have to go that route.

All my best,

Chris

Terra
                      Participant

Chris, did you think about the possibility of doing what the "1 lunger" did or was it not possible.  i have followed your posts for awhile – thanks for replying and hope you continue to do well on your trial.

ChrisB
                      Participant

I also have a met in the right hilar node.  I was told that it would cause me to loose an entire lung if they tried to remove it due to its location.

Four years ago another patient posted that he did have his removed.  Here is the link to his post and followup questions:http://community.melanoma.org/cgi-bin/mpip/dbforum.pl?header=search&db=main_bb&post=337338

My best to you and Derek,

Chris

Hi, in 2 weeks it will be 2 years since my husband was diagnosed with stage IV melanoma with inital mets to his rib, spine and lung. 3 oncologists all said that the lung met was unresectable, i asked them to refer me to a cardiotherasic surgeon who said it was easy surgery… don't take no for an answer unless you hear it from at least 2 people who will actually preform the surgery! If i was you I would get a 2nd opinion for the surgon. Regards Tina

Hi, in 2 weeks it will be 2 years since my husband was diagnosed with stage IV melanoma with inital mets to his rib, spine and lung. 3 oncologists all said that the lung met was unresectable, i asked them to refer me to a cardiotherasic surgeon who said it was easy surgery… don't take no for an answer unless you hear it from at least 2 people who will actually preform the surgery! If i was you I would get a 2nd opinion for the surgon. Regards Tina

jag
                        Participant

Well, sad to say, that the only treatment for hilar node metastases is pneumonectomy(as far as I know).  If you look through my patnet, you will see that I went through a lot to keep that lung, but to no avail.  Unfortunately IPI was not available at that time.  I definitely would have gone for that.  That said, if he has more than just a hilar node metastasis, probably better off trying systemic therapy.  My philosophy has always been to get rid of melanoma to minimize metastasis.  At first, living with one lung was  a tough deal (for about a year), I hardly even notice now and I am still alive.  My Doctor was Raja Flores at MSKCC, I investigated cyberknife to see if that might work, but he explained to me that if I did that, it might weaken the vessels in that area, and make the lung unresectable if that were the case.  I would be happy to correspond with you if you have any further questions.

John

jag
                          Participant

Well, sad to say, that the only treatment for hilar node metastases is pneumonectomy(as far as I know).  If you look through my patnet, you will see that I went through a lot to keep that lung, but to no avail.  Unfortunately IPI was not available at that time.  I definitely would have gone for that.  That said, if he has more than just a hilar node metastasis, probably better off trying systemic therapy.  My philosophy has always been to get rid of melanoma to minimize metastasis.  At first, living with one lung was  a tough deal (for about a year), I hardly even notice now and I am still alive.  My Doctor was Raja Flores at MSKCC, I investigated cyberknife to see if that might work, but he explained to me that if I did that, it might weaken the vessels in that area, and make the lung unresectable if that were the case.  I would be happy to correspond with you if you have any further questions.

John

Viewing 7 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics