The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NED with Interferon?

Forums General Melanoma Community NED with Interferon?

Participant
      I’m starting interferon Monday and it bothers me reading so much negative stuff about it on here and I just would like to hear the positive. So, I was wondering if anyone has done interferon and is NED or has been NED for awhile now or knows anyone who is.
    Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        duncan_aus
        Participant

Hi Brittany,

I was diagnosed at Stage 3 in Dec 2012.. recessing tumor on forearm and a large tumor in my armpit, one node involved. I did the 4 week High Dose Interferon treatment after the surgery and after 4 weeks of radiotherapy to my armpit.

I am still NED today.. 

I chose not to do the 12month low dose treatment.. I tried the first week of it and it seemed nearly as bad as the highdose and the evidence for its efficacy seemed very poor.

Best of luck with your treatment.

Duncan.

duncan_aus
          Participant

Hi Brittany,

I was diagnosed at Stage 3 in Dec 2012.. recessing tumor on forearm and a large tumor in my armpit, one node involved. I did the 4 week High Dose Interferon treatment after the surgery and after 4 weeks of radiotherapy to my armpit.

I am still NED today.. 

I chose not to do the 12month low dose treatment.. I tried the first week of it and it seemed nearly as bad as the highdose and the evidence for its efficacy seemed very poor.

Duncan.

duncan_aus
            Participant

Hi Brittany,

I am still NED today.. 

Duncan.

Ginger8888
              Participant

Good luck, i did the 30 day HD and unfortuatelly it didn't work for me but please drink lot's and lot's of water, drinks some V-8 juice to keep your veggie intake for the day and also drink some of those nutritional drinks to keep your nutriants up..Again good luck, i have heard of it working for several people..

Ginger8888
                Participant

Good luck, i did the 30 day HD and unfortuatelly it didn't work for me but please drink lot's and lot's of water, drinks some V-8 juice to keep your veggie intake for the day and also drink some of those nutritional drinks to keep your nutriants up..Again good luck, i have heard of it working for several people..

Ginger8888
                  Participant

Leslie’sHusband
                    Participant

Hi Brittany,

My wife was diagnosed at 3A in Jan/Feb of this year.  Two different oncologists told her that taking Interferon was an entirely personal choice.  The percentage of people that it helps seems to be pretty low, so she decided against it.  That was her choice, and I stand behind her completely.  I would have stood with her completely if she had chosen to take Interferon also.

You made the choice to go ahead with Interferon, so I think you need to hit it head on, and don't look back.  I've read several times on this forum that once you make a decision on treatment that you should move ahead and don't second guess yourself.  Coulda/shoulda/woulda will just bring you down mentally, and none of us need that.  From what I have read, some people handle the treatment well, and others do not.  The only way to tell is to move ahead. 

Dave, husband of Leslie

Leslie’sHusband
                      Participant

Hi Brittany,

My wife was diagnosed at 3A in Jan/Feb of this year.  Two different oncologists told her that taking Interferon was an entirely personal choice.  The percentage of people that it helps seems to be pretty low, so she decided against it.  That was her choice, and I stand behind her completely.  I would have stood with her completely if she had chosen to take Interferon also.

You made the choice to go ahead with Interferon, so I think you need to hit it head on, and don't look back.  I've read several times on this forum that once you make a decision on treatment that you should move ahead and don't second guess yourself.  Coulda/shoulda/woulda will just bring you down mentally, and none of us need that.  From what I have read, some people handle the treatment well, and others do not.  The only way to tell is to move ahead. 

Dave, husband of Leslie

Leslie’sHusband
                        Participant

Hi Brittany,

Dave, husband of Leslie

Colleen66
                          Participant

I'm 3b and Did The HD 1 1/2 years ago.  I was pronounced NED yesterday.  

Colleen

Becky
                              Participant

Hi

My son was 21 when he did a year of interferon. He continues to be NED…five years now!

Wish you the best

Becky

Becky
                                Participant

Hi

My son was 21 when he did a year of interferon. He continues to be NED…five years now!

Wish you the best

Becky

Becky
                                  Participant

Hi

Wish you the best

Becky

Colleen66
                                  Participant

Colleen

Colleen66
                                    Participant

Colleen

[email protected]
                                      Participant

Just wanted to post some positive news. I was dx stage 3 in June 2000 with micromets in the SLN and nothing found in the other nodes removed. I did the entire year of Interferon. More than 14 years later I can happily say that I am still NED and not had any problems. I still see my derm every 6 months and my oncologist once a year who does a chest x-ray and blood work. I was one of the lucky ones who had tolerated the treatment very well and few complications during the year. I was able to work 30 hrs a week as an accountant and keep up with my kids who were 7 & 5 at the time.

Please keep in mind that many people who have done Interferon and are NED don't frequent the board as often as those that are still fighting. That sometimes makes it hard to get positive feedback. I personally know of 2 other that did Interferon at the same time as me and I believe that both are still NED too.

Best of luck! Take care!

Cara

[email protected]
                                        Participant

Just wanted to post some positive news. I was dx stage 3 in June 2000 with micromets in the SLN and nothing found in the other nodes removed. I did the entire year of Interferon. More than 14 years later I can happily say that I am still NED and not had any problems. I still see my derm every 6 months and my oncologist once a year who does a chest x-ray and blood work. I was one of the lucky ones who had tolerated the treatment very well and few complications during the year. I was able to work 30 hrs a week as an accountant and keep up with my kids who were 7 & 5 at the time.

Please keep in mind that many people who have done Interferon and are NED don't frequent the board as often as those that are still fighting. That sometimes makes it hard to get positive feedback. I personally know of 2 other that did Interferon at the same time as me and I believe that both are still NED too.

Best of luck! Take care!

Cara

[email protected]
                                          Participant

Best of luck! Take care!

Cara

akls
                                            Participant

I did Interferon in 2009/2010.  I did all of my doses High dose and Low dose for 12 months.  I'm 4 1/2 years NED since I finished the Interferon.  Did it help?  I don't know, but I'm glad I did it.  I was able to work.  I had to rest a lot and it wasn't easy but I did it.  Good luck make sure to drink lots and take the supportive medication too.  You can do it!

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                                              Participant

I did Interferon in 2009/2010.  I did all of my doses High dose and Low dose for 12 months.  I'm 4 1/2 years NED since I finished the Interferon.  Did it help?  I don't know, but I'm glad I did it.  I was able to work.  I had to rest a lot and it wasn't easy but I did it.  Good luck make sure to drink lots and take the supportive medication too.  You can do it!

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                                                Participant

Amy S. in Michigan

scots
                                                  Participant

I completed the high dose and 12 month low dose.  4 years NED in october.  It was not easy but I did work the entire year. If you have any issues talk to your nurses and doctor.  They can help you get through it.  good luck and drink plenty of water.

scot

scots
                                                    Participant

I completed the high dose and 12 month low dose.  4 years NED in october.  It was not easy but I did work the entire year. If you have any issues talk to your nurses and doctor.  They can help you get through it.  good luck and drink plenty of water.

scot

scots
                                                      Participant

scot

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics