The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NED since July – Abraxane/Avastin

Forums General Melanoma Community NED since July – Abraxane/Avastin

Participant

Hi everyone.  My husband's PET and CAT were still clear today. Last January he had 4 mets to liver, and 2 lymph nodes in his chest ilit up.  He started on a Carboplatin/Abraxane/Avastin combo.  He tolerated the treatments well and was able to ski most of the season.  In June, he stopped the Carbo due to a reaction and continued with the Abraxane/Avastin.  In July, his scans were clear.  September they were clear.  He stopped the Abraxane in September.  The scans today were the first "flying solo" wi

Hi everyone.  My husband's PET and CAT were still clear today. Last January he had 4 mets to liver, and 2 lymph nodes in his chest ilit up.  He started on a Carboplatin/Abraxane/Avastin combo.  He tolerated the treatments well and was able to ski most of the season.  In June, he stopped the Carbo due to a reaction and continued with the Abraxane/Avastin.  In July, his scans were clear.  September they were clear.  He stopped the Abraxane in September.  The scans today were the first "flying solo" with Avastin, and again the scans were clear.

Chemo might not be for everyone, and might not have a high response rate.  However, I wanted to give some hope to anyone whose doctor has suggested chemo as the next step.  It isn't necesarrily the "last step".  This was my husband's first line of treatment, after sugery to remove lung mets in late 2010.   My husband is BRAF negative.  He was just tested for NRAS.  Dr. Boasberg wants that info in case we need to consider an inhibitor in the future if the Avastin is unable to hold the line. 

All I know for sure is that I am incredibly grateful that we are celebrating another Christmas with our family.  I wish a peaceful holiday season for everyone who has been touched by illness and loss.  Although I haven't met any of you, I feel like I know you through your posts and hold you in my prayers.

Hope

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Phil S
        Participant
          Congrats to you on your wonderful news, so happy to hear that your husband is stable and NED from chemo. Your post was an encouragement to me as my husband is also Braf negative, and undergoing biochemo at MDAnderson, so we like to hear that chemo can work on melanoma. Have a wonderful holiday with your family. Valerie (Phil’s wife)
          Phil S
          Participant
            Congrats to you on your wonderful news, so happy to hear that your husband is stable and NED from chemo. Your post was an encouragement to me as my husband is also Braf negative, and undergoing biochemo at MDAnderson, so we like to hear that chemo can work on melanoma. Have a wonderful holiday with your family. Valerie (Phil’s wife)
            Phil S
            Participant
              Charlie S
              Participant

Great !  This is another example of why it is important to always work the problem.

Sure, what your hubby did is not for everyone, but neither is any other treatment option.

Bottom line is you chose right and it worked for him !

My best to you and your family.

Great news.

Charlie S

Charlie S
                Participant

Great !  This is another example of why it is important to always work the problem.

Sure, what your hubby did is not for everyone, but neither is any other treatment option.

Great news.

Charlie S

Charlie S
                  Participant

Great news.

Charlie S

JerNYC
                    Participant

That is fantastic news and such good timing for the Holidays. Also very encouraging for those of us who have not had success with some of the newer therapies.

Before I proceeded with my current therapy (Ipi) one of the oncologists I saw recommended this or a similar chemo combo. Can you tell me a little more about the side effects and how manageable they were? Thank you.

hope4cure1
                        Participant

Side effects were fatigue……..not completely debilitating, but he did need naps now and then.  However, as I mentioned, he was also able to ski most of last winter.  He got mouth sores at first.  We aren't sure whether that was from the Carboplatin or Abraxane.  Those went away within a month or so. He lost his taste for quite a while. His nose bleeds a little when he showers.  He was also getting nosebleeds up in the snow.  It helped to use a saline spray to keep the membranes hydrated.  This is a side effect of the Avastin, as are mild headaches.  He didn't have a problem with neuropathy, but was advised to stop jogging just in case.  He lost his hair, but it started growing back within a couple months.  About a month into treatment, he noticed it was harder to breathe at higher altitudes.  His red blood cells were affected. That has corrected itself.  Twice he needed an injection to boost his white cell production a couple days after treatment.  He didn't isolate himself at all, and I don't remember him getting any colds during the year.  His vision has been a little fuzzy.  He complained of "chemo brain", but as his wife, I'm not sure I saw a difference ๐Ÿ™‚

Everyone is going to react differently.  However, there are two other men at our Wellness Community that are undergoing the same chemo combo, and they have pretty similiar side effects.  They have both had positive responses, but unfortunately not complete responses. 

Hang on.  It seems there is some new information almost every week.  The therapy that will help you could be on its way to you right now.  We'll keep that positive wish for you!

I hope you have wonderful holidays,

Hope

JerNYC
                          Participant

Thank you. That is so very helpful.

Best holiday wishes to you as well and a long lasting NED for your husband.

JerNYC
                            Participant

JerNYC
                              Participant

hope4cure1
                                Participant

Side effects were fatigue……..not completely debilitating, but he did need naps now and then.  However, as I mentioned, he was also able to ski most of last winter.  He got mouth sores at first.  We aren't sure whether that was from the Carboplatin or Abraxane.  Those went away within a month or so. He lost his taste for quite a while. His nose bleeds a little when he showers.  He was also getting nosebleeds up in the snow.  It helped to use a saline spray to keep the membranes hydrated.  This is a side effect of the Avastin, as are mild headaches.  He didn't have a problem with neuropathy, but was advised to stop jogging just in case.  He lost his hair, but it started growing back within a couple months.  About a month into treatment, he noticed it was harder to breathe at higher altitudes.  His red blood cells were affected. That has corrected itself.  Twice he needed an injection to boost his white cell production a couple days after treatment.  He didn't isolate himself at all, and I don't remember him getting any colds during the year.  His vision has been a little fuzzy.  He complained of "chemo brain", but as his wife, I'm not sure I saw a difference ๐Ÿ™‚

Everyone is going to react differently.  However, there are two other men at our Wellness Community that are undergoing the same chemo combo, and they have pretty similiar side effects.  They have both had positive responses, but unfortunately not complete responses. 

Hang on.  It seems there is some new information almost every week.  The therapy that will help you could be on its way to you right now.  We'll keep that positive wish for you!

Hope

hope4cure1
                                  Participant

Hope

JerNYC
                                  Participant

That is fantastic news and such good timing for the Holidays. Also very encouraging for those of us who have not had success with some of the newer therapies.

Before I proceeded with my current therapy (Ipi) one of the oncologists I saw recommended this or a similar chemo combo. Can you tell me a little more about the side effects and how manageable they were? Thank you.

JerNYC
                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics