The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NED, But

Forums General Melanoma Community NED, But

Participant
      Hey Melanomies;
      It’s been a bit. I am NED and I have been so since late 2018. Unfortunately of late I have developed some issues in my throat. It has been sore for about a month and I have a noticeable lump in the back as well as a good lump on my lower jaw underneath my tongue. I went to see my primary care, he gave me a consult to ENT, but can’t see them until October 12. Meanwhile, throat is sorer and starting to affect my voice. Anyone had anything like this. I had scans in August, so I doubt it is the beast, but you know how we wonder once we have been stage IV!
      Let me know your thought…Celeste, I know one of your recurrences was in your throat, what did it look like?

Thanks everybody,
      Ted

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Hey Ted,

Sorry you are dealing with ‘one more thing’!!!!  Tiresome, no????  Hopefully it is not melanoma, but that does not diminish the need for you to figure out what it IS and get better!  Most of the time, especially early on, cancer of all sorts causes no pain.  Pain is not generally registered until a tumor starts pressing on or invading something that responds to that with the sensation we perceive as pain.

You remember well my friend.  I did have a tonsillar met.  It did not hurt, but just literally felt like I had something in my throat – which I did!!  HA!  After feeling that way for a couple of days, I took a peek.  It was a little tricky to see for myself, but I thought I saw a black nodule peeking back and forth from behind my right tonsillar pillar.  I got a nurse I worked with to check and she saw it very well.   Had a tonsellectomy and lots of other tissue removed on that side the following week.  This was in October of 2010, about 7 months after a bronch that found melanoma in my lung.  While we’ll never know for sure how the ‘met” came to be on my tonsil, the general consensus is that some tissue from the melanoma sample that was collected in the bronch was dispersed to that area at that time.  Unfortunately, I had had scans just a month before which had been deemed clear.  On retrospect, there was a bit of sparkle in the area!  Oh, well!   What cha gonna do????

I am very glad you are seeing an ENT.  I would certainly press for a biopsy of the area, regardless of what they may think is going on.  Will keep all fingers crossed that it is nothing too difficult to treat and you will be feeling much better soon.  Keep us posted.

Love, c

tedtell1
            Participant
              Celeste;
              Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, while we melanomies all have nerves about bumps and lumps, this one is very much visible and not hard to see, but has no pigmentation, it is just a lump in the area where my tonsils (which I don’t have) would have been. And yes, when I first discovered it, it was because I constantly felt like something was there, but it has progressed to a constant “sore throat” feeling. Looking forward to getting answers.

Ted

gopher38
            Participant
              I had a tumor in the mouth, near the tonsils, and still have a bigger one in the esophagus.  The esophagus manifested itself with harder swallowing, but no pain.  The mouth one I could see and feel, like there was a bit of food caught in my upper throat.  Once again, no pain.  The mouth one I could see – as I said – and it was white, which I thought was a bit strange.  Biopsied and it was melanoma, but I thought they were usually black.  Never had a sore throat though.

Cheers,

Warren

tedtell1
              Participant
                Warren, thanks. It is great to hear from you despite the situation. Yep, one of the things I am hoping might be a positive for me (or two things) is no pigmentation and it is like a sore throat and cancer tumors don’t usually hurt. It is great to hear from you, how are you doing, still seeing Dr. Dudek at Regions? I seem to recall you were contemplating a move down to Mayo? Hope everything is stable and okay for you! Thanks again for the reply, I will just have to hang on till the 12th and the ENT appointment!
                Ted
                sing123
                Participant
                  Hi Ted. Will be keeping fingers crossed for good news! Keep us posted.
                    jbronicki
                    Participant
                      Ditto Ted, keeping fingers crossed as well and I’m thinking about you.  This must be incredibly nerve wracking, it is hard not to worry about this and the waiting is always rough.  Many hugs!
                Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics