The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NED and Life Insurance Question

Forums General Melanoma Community NED and Life Insurance Question

Participant

Has anyone worked with their insurance agent to make any changes to existing polices after DX and NED given?

What is the NED period they look at?

Were they willing to work with you (I know most likely at a higher rate)?

Thanks,

Allen

Has anyone worked with their insurance agent to make any changes to existing polices after DX and NED given?

What is the NED period they look at?

Were they willing to work with you (I know most likely at a higher rate)?

Thanks,

Allen

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Good luck.  It's hard to get it at stage I let alone a higher stage – even after many years NED.  Can you get a policy through work?  Add on to it?  Through some professional organization?  Good luck, and post info if you are able to find someone to insure you!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

Good luck.  It's hard to get it at stage I let alone a higher stage – even after many years NED.  Can you get a policy through work?  Add on to it?  Through some professional organization?  Good luck, and post info if you are able to find someone to insure you!

Best wishes,

Janner

[email protected]
            Participant

I had our insurance broker at work try to find something reasonable for me when I was 8 years NED from a stage 3 dx. He couldn't find anyone that would insure me for a cost that I could afford. About the same time I got my CPA designation and was able to get $2 million in coverage that was less than $200 a month from AICPA. I would definitely look into professional organizations as I didn't even think about that. 

Just as a quick side note, I was NED 11 years at the end of May. 

Good luck! Take care!

Cara

[email protected]
              Participant

I had our insurance broker at work try to find something reasonable for me when I was 8 years NED from a stage 3 dx. He couldn't find anyone that would insure me for a cost that I could afford. About the same time I got my CPA designation and was able to get $2 million in coverage that was less than $200 a month from AICPA. I would definitely look into professional organizations as I didn't even think about that. 

Just as a quick side note, I was NED 11 years at the end of May. 

Good luck! Take care!

Cara

teach
                Participant

I second the idea to check with a professional organization.  I tried and tried to get coverage after an early stage diagnosis with no luck.  I then tried through my education association.  They approved me for very reasonable rate.  Best of luck to you. 

teach
                  Participant

I second the idea to check with a professional organization.  I tried and tried to get coverage after an early stage diagnosis with no luck.  I then tried through my education association.  They approved me for very reasonable rate.  Best of luck to you. 

Ranisa
                    Participant

I looked into it after my Dx….I can change my policy from Term to Life, but I can't apply for 10 year….after NED>

Ranisa
                      Participant

I looked into it after my Dx….I can change my policy from Term to Life, but I can't apply for 10 year….after NED>

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics