The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NED after surgery!

Forums General Melanoma Community NED after surgery!

Participant
      Hi, my fellow melanoma warriors,

I know we have all faced so many challenges and struggles, and many of you have fought a much harder and longer battle than me. A piece of me hesitates to post this but I know I love hearing good news on this forum so I am sharing. After initially being diagnosed as stage IV in April 2020, 9 months of nivo, 2 rounds of ipi/nivo, an MRI and biopsy of my liver to rule out metastases and subsequently being downgraded to IIIC, 6 weeks of torture on Braftovi/Mektovi (it did not agree with me at ALL), and 3 weeks on Tafinlar/Mekinist, we moved forward with surgery. Removal of my tumor (which was totally dead) and a complete lymphadenectomy in my left arm pit on June 11th. I had my post-op with the surgical oncologist this last Thursday and I have been officially declared NED! It’s still a bit of a shock for me and I don’t think I have fully come to terms yet with what it means. Once my drain is removed (hopefully next week) no meds, no infusions, and no hospital appointments until September 24th when I will have CT scans and meet with my medical oncologist for my first follow-up.

This forum has been a godsend for me as a source of information and support from all of you amazing folks. I feel like I have made many friends here and I am grateful for each of you. Of course, I am still going to be on here to offer what information and experience I have and support however I can. I’m sure I’ll have scares, worries, scanxieties, and there’s always the chance of recurrences, but for today I am CANCER FREE! Sending everyone lots of love, hugs, and a fierce desire to keep fighting. Let’s kick melanoma’s ass!!

All the best,

Jenn

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          That is wonderful!!!!  A dead removed tumor is the best kind fo sho!!!  You have made it through so much.  Thank goodness for NED and being cancer free!!  Thanks for sharing.  Enjoy!  les
          ed williams
          Participant
            Good job on getting to NED, now go out there and enjoy life!
            chrispl1974
            Participant
              Fantastic news. As Ed mentioned previously, get out there, enjoy the summer and have a blast !!!

Big hug.

Christian

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics