The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NED after 2 months on Keytruda – how may months should I continue?

Forums General Melanoma Community NED after 2 months on Keytruda – how may months should I continue?

Participant

Hi – my 5 tumors,  each sized btwn a plum and tennis ball, and lymph nodes the size of ping pong balls in my right and left hip, have disappeared.

any idea how long to keep getting infusions? Thanks

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant
          First off, congrats on getting to NED status! Different docs have differing ideas about how long to stay on treatment once NED. Seems like something around a year is typical, especially if you’re tolerating it well with minor/minimal side effects. Ask your doc next time you see them what their plan is for you.
            AB
            Participant

Thanks! The toxicity and unknown side-effects are a real issue, in the long-run. That's our concern…no history

Casitas1
            Participant
              Congratulations on Ned. I was Ned at 6 month scan and quit infusions after 10 months due to side effects. Been off treatment 5 months now… Best, Paul
                AB
                Participant

Thanks Paul. How often do you get scans now?

Casitas1
                  Participant
                    Every six months… Alternate Pet ct and MRI + chest CT…
                  UBContributor
                  Participant

This is just like a butter on my ear: NED after 2 months only! Congrats! 

AB
                      Participant

Thanks

RitysMom
                      Participant

Wow! That's so awesome! Congrats!

AB
                          Participant

Thank you- may we hear many more stories like mine!

stevenallenschwartz
                          Participant

I was advised from my onc fresh from the melonoma conference in NYC last month that there is no standard protocol with regard to time. Many oncs say stop as soon as you reach NED and leave arrows in the quiver before experiencing maximum toxicity. Some oncs feel you should continue as long as you can tolerate the side effects. I am going for a second opinion as my onc suggested a total of 9 infuisions.

AB
                              Participant

Thank you! My onc suggests a total of 8…And then a 2nd scan.

I felt OK after the 1st 3, but the last 2 suck- exhausted and major muscle/joint pain. I still may do the last 3…

Viewing 4 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics