The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NED?!?

Participant
      I am waiting for confirmation from my doctor, but if I’m reading these PET scan results right, they mean NED!!! So, my first question is for those who have reached that point: how did you celebrate? One year from Stage 4 diagnosis to NED?!?!

And then: what kind of follow up should I be expecting after this. We did about nine months of Keytruda, and now I think we’re DONE. What happens after this?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Edwin
        Participant
          My December PET scan showed NED. I have continued to receive immunotherapy every 4 weeks. My last infusion of Opdivo will be in May, if my June PET scan shows NED.
            Tsvetochka
            Participant
              I had already stopped immunotherapy. I’m curious to see what comes after this.
            lkb
            Participant
              Hooray and Congratulations! Hope to join you someday in NEDness, but in the meantime, you’ll have to celebrate yours for us all. Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy it thoroughly!!!
              Ilikestargate
              Participant
                Awesome news. Congrats! Your post struck me as I’ve had the same questions. Background…. I went stage 3 in Dec 2018 with a lymph node tumor and had surgery and monthly Opdivo infusions as adjuvant therapy Jan 2019 through May 2019. May 2019 PET scan showed 8 new tumors (obviously now stage 4) so stopped Opdivo and started Yervoy. Three Yervoy infusions and I developed auto-immune hepatitis so had to stop treatment however Aug 2019 PET showed complete resolution of all 8 tumors. We did a celebration dinner with friends and family as I figured we had bought at least a couple more years. I’m getting quarterly PET scans and latest was last week and I’m still NED. Doc says quarterly PET scans for at least a few years and I did ask him how people live between scans without worrying themselves to death. His response was basically glass half full vs. half empty – it’s all about attitude. Will yours come back? Will mine? Don’t know obviously and they certainly can but I’ve come to the conclusion that milestones don’t mean much beyond the initial NED and living with a sword of Damocles over your head doesn’t help. So celebrate today and tomorrow and the next day without worry. Follow Doc instructions of course but live life and be appreciative of today. Hope that helps a little
            Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics