The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NED 28 years

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community NED 28 years

Participant
      On this date in 1992 I had just returned from my followup visit to NIH after 3 rounds of IL-2 where I learned that I was a complete response to treatment. I knew that I was responding well to the IL-2, and it was thrilling to be able to feel my last SQ tumor grow smaller and eventually disappear. I had had mets to both lungs and numerous subcutaneous tumors. For several years, I worried about recurrence, but I learned that at some point a recurrence was unlikely. I was 35 when diagnosed; now I’m 64.

Since then, I’ve not had any more melanomas. I have had several basal cell carcinomas, including 3 which required Mohs surgery on my face, but they had very nice cosmetic outcomes and haven’t recurred.

I’ve been following this board for many years now, and it’s exciting to see the treatment of advanced melanoma progress. I know that progress sometimes seems too slow, but there are more folks surviving now than back when I was diagnosed. I fully recognize how fortunate I was, and I continue to be thankful. I hope you see me as an example of long term survival after a dire prognosis.

My best to all of you.

Rick

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        sandyd77
        Participant
          Rick,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It gives hope to so many! Stay well

SABKLYN
          Participant
            Thanks for sharing and congratulations!
            Daisy2018
            Participant
              Rick,
              Thank you so much for posting! We all need to hear a positive outcome, a hope.
              God bless you and be well!
              mrbill16323
              Participant
                Thanks so much for sharing your story. I’ve just started my fight against malignant melanoma with Wide Excision surgery on my scalp and reconstruction, and Keytruda for a year starting this week, along with the scans, and I’m adjusting my thought process to understand it will be a life-long one. Feeling positive.
                Bubbles
                Participant
                  Oh, Rick!! You rocked it out with your IL-2 28 years ago and to this day! Thanks for sharing. celeste
                  THMoore
                  Participant
                    Rick
                    Thank you for sharing your story. Glad you rocked that treatment. We need all the positivity possible

Thanks
                    Trent

AMcReader
                    Participant
                      I love this story! Congratulations on 28 wonderful years! Thank you for sharing.
                      MelMel
                      Participant
                        Congratulations and many healthy years to come!
                        Thank you for sharing this unique news with all of us.
                        Melanie
                    Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics