The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NED 2 Years

Forums General Melanoma Community NED 2 Years

Participant

Hello all, I am happy to announce my 2 year aniversery from being diagnosed stage 3 melanoma. I do not post much here but do check in once in awhile for information and updates on treatments and so forth. This site has helped me cope with this cancer for the last 2 years when I read some of the stories of others on this forum. From the first time I found out I had melanoma and my surgeon told me the survival rates and all I thought i was doomed. I have made 2 more Christmases and also am finally being able to not worry about mel all the time. My family Dr.

Hello all, I am happy to announce my 2 year aniversery from being diagnosed stage 3 melanoma. I do not post much here but do check in once in awhile for information and updates on treatments and so forth. This site has helped me cope with this cancer for the last 2 years when I read some of the stories of others on this forum. From the first time I found out I had melanoma and my surgeon told me the survival rates and all I thought i was doomed. I have made 2 more Christmases and also am finally being able to not worry about mel all the time. My family Dr. just recently told me my chances of reoccurrence is very slim since i made it 2 years now, however the oncologist disagrees with that. Anyhow i am happy to be NED this long and hope it lasts for many more years. Thanks to everyone that posts here for peole to get so much info about melanoma, as i seem to find more answers here than I can at a Drs office. Happy new Years everyone and I hope every person on this site will be here next year to read my third aniversery post.

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        DeniseK
        Participant

Congratulations!!  Many Many Many more years to come!!  What an awesome Christmas present!! 

Denise

DeniseK
          Participant

Congratulations!!  Many Many Many more years to come!!  What an awesome Christmas present!! 

Denise

DeniseK
            Participant

Denise

Snickers60
                Participant

Whooo hoooo….Congratulations on this awesome mile marker Denise !    CELEBRATE GIRL !!! 

(Listen to your oncologist – Wayne was clean 13 1/2 years before a recurrance – you cannot ever give up vigilance on this monster cancer). 

HAPPY HAPPY NEW YEAR and MANY  MORE TO COME !

Snickers60
                  Participant

Whooo hoooo….Congratulations on this awesome mile marker Denise !    CELEBRATE GIRL !!! 

(Listen to your oncologist – Wayne was clean 13 1/2 years before a recurrance – you cannot ever give up vigilance on this monster cancer). 

Snickers60
                    Participant

JakeinNY
                    Participant

Congratulations and keep posting at least whenever you get your scans done!!! We all need the encouraging news!

JakeinNY
                      Participant

Congratulations and keep posting at least whenever you get your scans done!!! We all need the encouraging news!

JakeinNY
                        Participant

LynnLuc
                          Participant

Congrats!! I am stage 4 and have been NED 2 years 9 months as of today!

LynnLuc
                            Participant

LynnLuc
                              Participant

LynnLuc
                                Participant

PS always be viligent! I had 4 years between 1st  and 2nd occurance and then 9 years before I ended up at stage 4.

LynnLuc
                                  Participant

PS always be viligent! I had 4 years between 1st  and 2nd occurance and then 9 years before I ended up at stage 4.

LynnLuc
                                    Participant

_Paul_
                                      Participant

Thank you for the update. I was diagnosed stage IIIa in July, and of course my initial reaction was that the world was coming to an end and I had a will drawn up, etc., etc.

Then I found this message board and the wide spectrum of experiences people have had with this disease. I understand now that it is very random and one cannot predict much at all. That uncertainty is one of the difficult aspects for me.

So reading others' success stories give me hope.

Take care – Paul.

_Paul_
                                        Participant

Thank you for the update. I was diagnosed stage IIIa in July, and of course my initial reaction was that the world was coming to an end and I had a will drawn up, etc., etc.

Then I found this message board and the wide spectrum of experiences people have had with this disease. I understand now that it is very random and one cannot predict much at all. That uncertainty is one of the difficult aspects for me.

Take care – Paul.

_Paul_
                                          Participant

Take care – Paul.

Linny
                                            Participant

Congratulations! We are on about the same timeline. smiley

I was officially diagnosed in December 2010 and had THE worst Christmas, birthday, and New Year's imaginable. The dermatologist I saw had nothing but bad news: having an unknown primary doesn't give you a better prognosis (this, in spite of medical studies I'd read on the topic), the clean scans I'd had two weeks prior to my visit with him didn't mean anything, and the only approved treatment is interferon which is really rough. And, there were no clinical trials for me at Hopkins. Then after all that, he asked me if I wanted to know my prognosis. Are you freakin' kidding me?!? I told him, "HELL NO!!!!!" After I saw this guy I saw the surgeron who was going to be doing my LND and by that time I was emotionally shot, thanks to the grim reaper I'd just seen. She tried her best to lift my spirits by reminding me that my scans were clean and to focus on that. She also told me that there were some trials at Hopkins for which I might qualify but a lot would depend on what she uncovered after the surgery. But the emotional damage was done.

I survived that ordeal and am happy to still be NED and to be able to celebrate another Christmas, birthday, and New Year. laugh

Fortunately I don't have to see that dermatologist on a regular basis. Though, he did have to biopsy a freckle on the sole of my foot about a year ago.  He remembered me and asked me how I was doing. I told him, "I'm still here, NED, and in a clinical trial."  Boy, did that feel good! LOL

Linny
                                              Participant

I was officially diagnosed in December 2010 and had THE worst Christmas, birthday, and New Year's imaginable. The dermatologist I saw had nothing but bad news: having an unknown primary doesn't give you a better prognosis (this, in spite of medical studies I'd read on the topic), the clean scans I'd had two weeks prior to my visit with him didn't mean anything, and the only approved treatment is interferon which is really rough. And, there were no clinical trials for me at Hopkins. Then after all that, he asked me if I wanted to know my prognosis. Are you freakin' kidding me?!? I told him, "HELL NO!!!!!" After I saw this guy I saw the surgeron who was going to be doing my LND and by that time I was emotionally shot, thanks to the grim reaper I'd just seen. She tried her best to lift my spirits by reminding me that my scans were clean and to focus on that. She also told me that there were some trials at Hopkins for which I might qualify but a lot would depend on what she uncovered after the surgery. But the emotional damage was done.

I survived that ordeal and am happy to still be NED and to be able to celebrate another Christmas, birthday, and New Year. laugh

Fortunately I don't have to see that dermatologist on a regular basis. Though, he did have to biopsy a freckle on the sole of my foot about a year ago.  He remembered me and asked me how I was doing. I told him, "I'm still here, NED, and in a clinical trial."  Boy, did that feel good! LOL

Linny
                                                Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics