The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Neck lymph nodes

Forums General Melanoma Community Neck lymph nodes

Participant

Hey! I have a random question. If melanoma was found in one lymph node under my left armpit- could it get to my right side in my neck.  I was feeling my neck the other day and felt a small bump.  I know neck nodes swell easily- but I was just curious if this was probable.  I have my 2 year check up on Monday- which I'm so thankful for!!! 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        pookerpb
        Participant

I am sorry to say yes. My husbands Melanoma started on his right calf 8 years ago. He is stage IV with tumor burden many places. The first sign for him it was back was when it was detected in lymph node under left arg and the to right neck and right collar bone nodes. Both sides of neck nodes are positve and sometimes the swelling of them is huge and other times it has gone down.

Happy_girl
            Participant

Thank you for your response- I'm still trying to be positive- even though it's hard to be.   I'm not sure if it feels like a cancerous node or not!

Happy_girl
              Participant

Thank you for your response- I'm still trying to be positive- even though it's hard to be.   I'm not sure if it feels like a cancerous node or not!

Happy_girl
                Participant

pookerpb
                Participant

I am sorry to say yes. My husbands Melanoma started on his right calf 8 years ago. He is stage IV with tumor burden many places. The first sign for him it was back was when it was detected in lymph node under left arg and the to right neck and right collar bone nodes. Both sides of neck nodes are positve and sometimes the swelling of them is huge and other times it has gone down.

pookerpb
                  Participant

Janner
                    Participant

Let's just say this.  Is it possible this is related to your melanoma?  Yes.  Is it likely?  Probably not.  Given the location, you would more likely have had more issues in the arm area first.  And as you said, neck nodes swell more often than any other nodes for a variety of reasons.  Good you're having it checked, but honestly I wouldn't start worrying yet.  Remember, lymph nodes can take a long time to resolve even after an infection passes so swelling wouldn't go down overnight even if it was related to an infection.  There are also "reactive nodes".  These are nodes that have swollen – let's say for some infection – that never return to normal size.  They aren't cancerous, just reactive. 

Happy_girl
                        Participant

Thanks for your response.  I'm trying to stay level headed abt all of this…. And not touch that spot all the time! Easier said than done! 

Happy_girl
                          Participant

Thanks for your response.  I'm trying to stay level headed abt all of this…. And not touch that spot all the time! Easier said than done! 

Happy_girl
                            Participant

Janner
                            Participant

Let's just say this.  Is it possible this is related to your melanoma?  Yes.  Is it likely?  Probably not.  Given the location, you would more likely have had more issues in the arm area first.  And as you said, neck nodes swell more often than any other nodes for a variety of reasons.  Good you're having it checked, but honestly I wouldn't start worrying yet.  Remember, lymph nodes can take a long time to resolve even after an infection passes so swelling wouldn't go down overnight even if it was related to an infection.  There are also "reactive nodes".  These are nodes that have swollen – let's say for some infection – that never return to normal size.  They aren't cancerous, just reactive. 

Janner
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics