The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Nausea and appetite

Forums General Melanoma Community Nausea and appetite

Participant

Happy new year every one. I started Ipi/nivo on 12/15 and go in for my second dose on Thursday. I have been pretty nauseous the last few days and hardly any appetite.  Is this similar to the rash in that it is only here for a short while? After the rash nearly took over my whole body now it is almost entirely gone. 

Anyone here have these symptoms after their first dose?  Doctor gave me anti-nausea meds but they don't really help. I am trying to force myself to eat but am still dropping weight too fast. Might go in today to get blood work done – Doc wants to see what is going on. Hoping to stay on this combo….

thanks again for any insight. You all are incredible 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Going in to see your Doctor sound like the smart thing to do!!!Best Wishes!!!Ed

ed williams
          Participant

ed williams
            Participant

jennunicorn
              Participant

It's definitely good idea to get blood work done, your doc wants to make sure these side effects are not happening due to something more serious. If blood work looks normal, then it's just a side effect of the combo and you'll be ok to get your second infusion.

I've had nausea and loss of appetite here and there on the combo, only seems to last a couple days at a time. My blood work has stayed normalish so for me it's nothing more than the dang combo.

jennunicorn
                Participant

It's definitely good idea to get blood work done, your doc wants to make sure these side effects are not happening due to something more serious. If blood work looks normal, then it's just a side effect of the combo and you'll be ok to get your second infusion.

I've had nausea and loss of appetite here and there on the combo, only seems to last a couple days at a time. My blood work has stayed normalish so for me it's nothing more than the dang combo.

jennunicorn
                  Participant

debwray
                    Participant

Hi

Nausea and appetite have been an issue for me – in the combo- got worse ater second dose and third dose was held as liver tests elevated- was started on prednisolone 50 mg – cured nausea and appetite issues after 1 week- now on taper as liver tests improving. Tried three different anti nausea meds – but like you they didn't really get rid of it.

Eating hints- my brain told me what would be ok- ate more fruit ,yoghurt, anything easy to digest- little and more often- salads- couldn't face meat or anything "heavy".

Have used probiotics whilst on treatment- hoping to reduce gastro side effects.

Nausea is sometimes connected to liver problems on the combo- but I had other issues to complicate-as tumours in liver and possible liver tox from high dose antibiotics over the previous three months. Not saying this is the reason for your nausea – but in my case steroids doing trick and hoping to get dose three of combo this month. 

Keep in mind the goldilocks zone- we want the immune system hot enough so that it attacks the melanoma but not too hot that it damages essential organs. It is important to report side effects so that action can be taken promptly . Sorry if it sounds like a sermon …….but keeping quiet about collitis and other things makes it harder for the docs to take action early and minimize adverse effects.

On the up side – feel the combo is having impact- just from small things- CT scan in three weeks so crossing my fingers.

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
                      Participant

Hi

Nausea and appetite have been an issue for me – in the combo- got worse ater second dose and third dose was held as liver tests elevated- was started on prednisolone 50 mg – cured nausea and appetite issues after 1 week- now on taper as liver tests improving. Tried three different anti nausea meds – but like you they didn't really get rid of it.

Eating hints- my brain told me what would be ok- ate more fruit ,yoghurt, anything easy to digest- little and more often- salads- couldn't face meat or anything "heavy".

Nausea is sometimes connected to liver problems on the combo- but I had other issues to complicate-as tumours in liver and possible liver tox from high dose antibiotics over the previous three months. Not saying this is the reason for your nausea – but in my case steroids doing trick and hoping to get dose three of combo this month. 

Keep in mind the goldilocks zone- we want the immune system hot enough so that it attacks the melanoma but not too hot that it damages essential organs. It is important to report side effects so that action can be taken promptly . Sorry if it sounds like a sermon …….but keeping quiet about collitis and other things makes it harder for the docs to take action early and minimize adverse effects.

On the up side – feel the combo is having impact- just from small things- CT scan in three weeks so crossing my fingers.

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
                        Participant

Hi

Best wishes

Deb

Hukill
                          Participant

Inever had nausea but the first 6 weeks or so I had to make myself eat. I lost 28 pounds during that time. My appetite came back and I actually gained 15 pounds back. I never had digestive issues but I stayed away from foods that I knew messed me up and I did try to eat PBJ sandwich each day to stay "thick". I had 4 doses of the combo, 4 doses of just nivo and 1 dose back to the combo. I still have the rash but it doesn't bother me.

Hukill
                            Participant

Inever had nausea but the first 6 weeks or so I had to make myself eat. I lost 28 pounds during that time. My appetite came back and I actually gained 15 pounds back. I never had digestive issues but I stayed away from foods that I knew messed me up and I did try to eat PBJ sandwich each day to stay "thick". I had 4 doses of the combo, 4 doses of just nivo and 1 dose back to the combo. I still have the rash but it doesn't bother me.

Hukill
                              Participant

Nicklindner
                                Participant

Thank you to everyone for the posts. It honestly not only helped me but made me feel better to. Hope you all have a wonderful day. 

Nicklindner
                                  Participant

Thank you to everyone for the posts. It honestly not only helped me but made me feel better to. Hope you all have a wonderful day. 

Nicklindner
                                    Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics