The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Nagging cough

Forums General Melanoma Community Nagging cough

Participant

Hi everyone! Elaine, you posted something similar the other day.  I'm wrking hard at my mental game for melanoma.  I have had a cough for about a week- mostly at night. And I trying not to freak out. My dr did order a chest X-ray which has me even more panicked.  I am truly hoing the fear lessens over time!  Have a great christmas everyone!

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

Patients that have had cancer are more susceptable to pulmonary embolisms.

Gene_S
          Participant

Gene_S
            Participant

5dives
              Participant

Hi HappyGirl,

First of all, I'm sorry you have a nagging cough and the stress that goes along with waiting for that chest x-ray. I TOTALLY get where you're coming from. I'm glad you're getting the follow up you need in order to know that you're okay and it's "just" a nagging cough or that you need something more. Let me know how it goes. 

Thinking of you, and hoping for peace of mind.

Elaine

5dives
                Participant

Hi HappyGirl,

First of all, I'm sorry you have a nagging cough and the stress that goes along with waiting for that chest x-ray. I TOTALLY get where you're coming from. I'm glad you're getting the follow up you need in order to know that you're okay and it's "just" a nagging cough or that you need something more. Let me know how it goes. 

Elaine

5dives
                  Participant

Hi HappyGirl,

Elaine

Linny
                    Participant

Sorry to hear you're going through this. Having melanoma doesn't make us immune to normal things like colds, bronchitis, sore throats, etc. I was panicking two winters ago after having a nagging cough that persisted for over two months. It was nothing other than a lingering irritation after a cold. It cleared up as soon as the heating season was over.

Does it have to be melanoma? No. Can melanoma be ruled out? No. Hopefully your chest x-ray will show nothing.

Linny
                      Participant

Sorry to hear you're going through this. Having melanoma doesn't make us immune to normal things like colds, bronchitis, sore throats, etc. I was panicking two winters ago after having a nagging cough that persisted for over two months. It was nothing other than a lingering irritation after a cold. It cleared up as soon as the heating season was over.

Does it have to be melanoma? No. Can melanoma be ruled out? No. Hopefully your chest x-ray will show nothing.

Linny
                        Participant

Cooper
                            Participant

Sounds like post nasal drip, only happens when you lay down, right?  Allergies, etc.

Cooper
                              Participant

Sounds like post nasal drip, only happens when you lay down, right?  Allergies, etc.

Cooper
                                Participant

Happy_girl
                                  Participant

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! Melanoma is such a tough mental game!  Thanks for the support!

Happy_girl
                                    Participant

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! Melanoma is such a tough mental game!  Thanks for the support!

Happy_girl
                                      Participant

Josh
                                      Participant

Hello. Since starting various cancer drugs, I've had many periods of lingering coughs which my doctors think is actually acid reflux. Coughing can, in fact, be the only sympton one gets from acid reflux. Like my coughing, perhaps yours can be alliviated by nothing more than Prilosec. Best of luck!  Josh

Josh
                                        Participant

Hello. Since starting various cancer drugs, I've had many periods of lingering coughs which my doctors think is actually acid reflux. Coughing can, in fact, be the only sympton one gets from acid reflux. Like my coughing, perhaps yours can be alliviated by nothing more than Prilosec. Best of luck!  Josh

DZnDef
                                            Participant

I just want to add a "me too" to Josh's statement on the cough.  Acid reflux is quite common and a nagging cough is one of the key symptoms.  After lung surgery, I had a nagging cough for the next 12 months.  At the end of 12 months, they identified more lung nodules.  Could this be causing the cough?  You would think so, but in response to the lung nodules, I radically changed my diet including removing foods I had tested as being allergic to.  Within 2 weeks my coughing stopped.  It has now been 10 months since I changed my diet and the coughing has not returned (even though I still have the lung nodules).  So the coughing can be completely unrelated to melanoma.

DZnDef
                                              Participant

I just want to add a "me too" to Josh's statement on the cough.  Acid reflux is quite common and a nagging cough is one of the key symptoms.  After lung surgery, I had a nagging cough for the next 12 months.  At the end of 12 months, they identified more lung nodules.  Could this be causing the cough?  You would think so, but in response to the lung nodules, I radically changed my diet including removing foods I had tested as being allergic to.  Within 2 weeks my coughing stopped.  It has now been 10 months since I changed my diet and the coughing has not returned (even though I still have the lung nodules).  So the coughing can be completely unrelated to melanoma.

DZnDef
                                                Participant

Josh
                                                Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics