The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My Trial Has Started!

Forums General Melanoma Community My Trial Has Started!

Participant

The first day of my BRAF/MEK trial was yesterday! Everything went well. I essentially had to be at the hospital all day because they were drawing blood every 1-2 hours. Today I have to go back to get another blood draw as well as an EKG. I did receive a schedule of my appointments for the next eight weeks and I will be tied up 1-2 days a week, getting various tests and scans. Only one other all day session, however.

The first day of my BRAF/MEK trial was yesterday! Everything went well. I essentially had to be at the hospital all day because they were drawing blood every 1-2 hours. Today I have to go back to get another blood draw as well as an EKG. I did receive a schedule of my appointments for the next eight weeks and I will be tied up 1-2 days a week, getting various tests and scans. Only one other all day session, however. Most of the other appointments are half days!

I am very optimistic about these drugs, the response rates have been very good and I responded very well to a less potent drug for over four years. I get a scan at the end of June which will evaluate how I am doing. Until then, I am as usual trying to live my life to its fullest. We are going away for a few days today and I have brought with me a full array of sun protection, including sun protective clothing, wide brimmed hats, sunscreen, etc. 

Will let everyone know how it goes.

Eileen L

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Harry in Fair Oaks
        Participant

Congrats Eileen!  I wish you all the best.  As you know, I'm on the GSK version of the BRAF/MEK trial.  There was preliminary data from my trial released a couple of days ago showing great things, and GSK is now going to proceed with a Stage III trial of this "cocktail."  And I'm betting on similar results from your study.

Best wishes,

Harry

Eileen L
            Participant
              Thanks for the update on your trial and your good wishes. I am feeling very hopeful about this drug combo as well!
              Eileen L
              Eileen L
              Participant
                Thanks for the update on your trial and your good wishes. I am feeling very hopeful about this drug combo as well!
                Eileen L
                Eileen L
                Participant
                  Eileen L
                Harry in Fair Oaks
                Participant

Congrats Eileen!  I wish you all the best.  As you know, I'm on the GSK version of the BRAF/MEK trial.  There was preliminary data from my trial released a couple of days ago showing great things, and GSK is now going to proceed with a Stage III trial of this "cocktail."  And I'm betting on similar results from your study.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                  Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

aldakota22
                    Participant

Good for you Eileen.May this trial be the answer you are looking for,so you can live life fully for a very long time.My prayers go with you.   Al

Eileen L
                        Participant
                          Thanks!
                          Eileen L
                          Eileen L
                          Participant
                            Thanks!
                            Eileen L
                            Eileen L
                            Participant
                              Thanks!
                              Eileen L
                            aldakota22
                            Participant

Good for you Eileen.May this trial be the answer you are looking for,so you can live life fully for a very long time.My prayers go with you.   Al

aldakota22
                              Participant

NYKaren
                                Participant
                                  Great news, Eileen. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
                                  Looking forward to hearing about that vacation too!
                                  karen
                                  NYKaren
                                  Participant
                                    karen
                                      Eileen L
                                      Participant
                                        Thx Karen!
                                        Eileen L
                                        Eileen L
                                        Participant
                                          Thx Karen!
                                          Eileen L
                                          Eileen L
                                          Participant
                                            Thx Karen!
                                            Eileen L
                                          NYKaren
                                          Participant
                                            karen
                                            kylez
                                            Participant

Eileen, congratulations on getting your first dose of BRAF/MEK (it sounds like you're that far into it, right?). Must be a big relief. Didn't realize the trial would be that intensive appointment-wise.  Great job making all that happen!
                                              Kyle 

kylez
                                              Participant

Eileen, congratulations on getting your first dose of BRAF/MEK (it sounds like you're that far into it, right?). Must be a big relief. Didn't realize the trial would be that intensive appointment-wise.  Great job making all that happen!
                                                Kyle 

Eileen L
                                                  Participant
                                                    Hi Kyle. The trial protocol is very intensive for the first eight weeks then eases up a bit. Missed you at the support group this week! Hope to see you soon. Eileen
                                                    Eileen L
                                                    Participant
                                                      Hi Kyle. The trial protocol is very intensive for the first eight weeks then eases up a bit. Missed you at the support group this week! Hope to see you soon. Eileen
                                                      Eileen L
                                                      Participant
                                                        Eileen L
                                                        Participant
                                                          P.S. I am out of Kaiser as of July 1!
                                                          Eileen L
                                                          Participant
                                                            Eileen L
                                                            Participant
                                                            kylez
                                                            Participant

Kyle 

sandman
                                                              Participant

I have been on BRAF/MEK/GSK since March 7th.  First scan 75% of the cancer is gone!! Make certain to take it exactly as directed, kick your nutrition up a notch and spend lots of time with G-D.  You will do great, I am certain of it. Write me back with any questions and I will help if I can.

sandman
                                                                Participant

I have been on BRAF/MEK/GSK since March 7th.  First scan 75% of the cancer is gone!! Make certain to take it exactly as directed, kick your nutrition up a notch and spend lots of time with G-D.  You will do great, I am certain of it. Write me back with any questions and I will help if I can.

sandman
                                                                  Participant

AllyNTAus
                                                                    Participant

Eileen, just offering you good wishes for your trial. The news late last week about the phase 1 results from the GSK BRAF/MEK trial were certainly very encouraging!

Just to let you know what I am experiencing and hopefully by way of encouragment, I am three weeks into taking Dabrafenib on a compassionate access program (I failed the entry criteria for the BRAF/MEK trial because I had some pneumonitis at the time of screening), and I've had no real side effects apart from a couple of possible SCCs appearing around the place. I had a small palpable node (we think) in my right armpit just before starting Dabrafenib and within a week it had disappeared. A bunch of melanomas on my scalp which were growing and getting quite irritable have flattened and reduced in size. I will not know about my internal nodes (para-aortic, groin) until I get scanned in a couple of months but have everything crossed.

I also lead an active outdoor lifestyle, and have ramped up the usual sun protection an extra notch, and have had no problems.

All the best,

Ally

AllyNTAus
                                                                      Participant

Eileen, just offering you good wishes for your trial. The news late last week about the phase 1 results from the GSK BRAF/MEK trial were certainly very encouraging!

Just to let you know what I am experiencing and hopefully by way of encouragment, I am three weeks into taking Dabrafenib on a compassionate access program (I failed the entry criteria for the BRAF/MEK trial because I had some pneumonitis at the time of screening), and I've had no real side effects apart from a couple of possible SCCs appearing around the place. I had a small palpable node (we think) in my right armpit just before starting Dabrafenib and within a week it had disappeared. A bunch of melanomas on my scalp which were growing and getting quite irritable have flattened and reduced in size. I will not know about my internal nodes (para-aortic, groin) until I get scanned in a couple of months but have everything crossed.

I also lead an active outdoor lifestyle, and have ramped up the usual sun protection an extra notch, and have had no problems.

All the best,

Ally

AllyNTAus
                                                                        Participant

All the best,

Ally

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics