The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My lymph nodes function, sometimes increase and sometimes decrease in size

Forums General Melanoma Community My lymph nodes function, sometimes increase and sometimes decrease in size

Participant
      I do not know if anybody experience this problem with lymph nodes.
      I am on six month scan. A year ago lymph nodes in my neck increased, six months after it decreased, and now increased in size again. I have a cyst with pus on that side. My oncologist wants me a scan of my neck in 3 months now. He doubts it is cancer but said we have to watch. Did anybody have that experience and has a knowledge about it? I would appreciate your answer.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        liberty04281
        Participant
          I mean my lymph nodes function, changing in size.
          liberty04281
          Participant
            I mean flunction in size

Brittany1999
            Participant

Hi, This happens frequently to me. Small infections on my head make my lymph nodes swell in my neck. My oncologist has me take an antibiotic for 7-10days and then we scan at 8-10 weeks instead of 12 weeks. 

The lymph nodes should go down within 2 weeks. Definitely stay in close contact with your oncologist.

Brit

liberty04281
                Participant
                  British, do you think it is cancer in lymph nodes.
                  liberty04281
                  Participant
                    British, do you think it is cancer in lymph nodes.
                  kathycmc
                  Participant

My daughter just went through this.  Her melanoma was nodular and on her neck.  She had lymph node dissection on the right side 5 years ago.  Recently a lymph node under her chin was enlarged.  It too fluctuated in size but on a daily basis.  She opted to have it removed and biopsied just to be on the safe side. It turned out to be benign – no infection, nothing.  

liberty04281
                      Participant
                        Thank you very much. It is a big help for my anxiety, hoping it will be the same in my case.
                        liberty04281
                        Participant
                          Thank you very much. It is a big help for my anxiety, hoping it will be the same in my case.
                    Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics