The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My husband

Forums General Melanoma Community My husband

Participant

My husband has been complaining of itching at the excision site & also says its sore…Should we be concerned about this? He was basically turned loose so don't know who to ask. Thanks Linda

My husband has been complaining of itching at the excision site & also says its sore…Should we be concerned about this? He was basically turned loose so don't know who to ask. Thanks Linda

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jerry from Cape Cod
        Participant

Call the Doctor that did the excision.

How long ago was the surgery.  What did the doctor say about aftercare?

Jerry

lindas58
            Participant

The surgery was Jan5th. The thing that bothers me the most is that is what brought his attention to the melanoma in the first place.  He had a weird mole that we saw in the summer & the dr said "no worries." In Dec it itched & he had me look at it (on back) I did & it had grown..off he went to his primary, shave biopsy ect….so now when he says its bothering him again I am lost.

lhaley
              Participant

Linda,

I saw in your profile that your husband was to go back to Dr. Gould in March. Did he go? 

He is actually still healing and will itch and hurt. My oncologist told me that the healing process is actually 18 months. During that time scar tissue is still forming.  If he is worried I would make an appointment with a dermatologist to check it out.  Personally I would question a Dr that said "no worries". While rare, my stage 1A came back after 27 years.  it was thicker than your husbands but mine was not ulcerated.  Always best to be alert.

Let us know how it goes,

Linda

lhaley
                Participant

Linda,

I saw in your profile that your husband was to go back to Dr. Gould in March. Did he go? 

He is actually still healing and will itch and hurt. My oncologist told me that the healing process is actually 18 months. During that time scar tissue is still forming.  If he is worried I would make an appointment with a dermatologist to check it out.  Personally I would question a Dr that said "no worries". While rare, my stage 1A came back after 27 years.  it was thicker than your husbands but mine was not ulcerated.  Always best to be alert.

Let us know how it goes,

Linda

lindas58
                  Participant

The surgery was Jan5th. The thing that bothers me the most is that is what brought his attention to the melanoma in the first place.  He had a weird mole that we saw in the summer & the dr said "no worries." In Dec it itched & he had me look at it (on back) I did & it had grown..off he went to his primary, shave biopsy ect….so now when he says its bothering him again I am lost.

Jerry from Cape Cod
                  Participant

Call the Doctor that did the excision.

How long ago was the surgery.  What did the doctor say about aftercare?

Jerry

washoegal
                    Participant

The itching and soreness is most likely normal healing.  What you can do to help your husband to keep a watch on his scaring,  That means every few days take a look at the surgical sights and see if the have change, look for redness, swelling, heat, etc.  The soreness is from trauma.  The itching is healing.  I am 14 months post surgery and occasionally have minor pain at the WLE site. 

More importantly when I went to your profile I noticed you said one of his lymph nodes was swollen.  That has me a little concerned that he may have a post surgical infection.  If there is still swelling especially with any heat and redness, please go back to the surgeon as soon as possible.

Good Luck

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                      Participant

The itching and soreness is most likely normal healing.  What you can do to help your husband to keep a watch on his scaring,  That means every few days take a look at the surgical sights and see if the have change, look for redness, swelling, heat, etc.  The soreness is from trauma.  The itching is healing.  I am 14 months post surgery and occasionally have minor pain at the WLE site. 

More importantly when I went to your profile I noticed you said one of his lymph nodes was swollen.  That has me a little concerned that he may have a post surgical infection.  If there is still swelling especially with any heat and redness, please go back to the surgeon as soon as possible.

Good Luck

Mary

Stage 3

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics