The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My husband has stage 3b melanoma and I am wrecked!

Forums General Melanoma Community My husband has stage 3b melanoma and I am wrecked!

Participant

Hello, my husband was diagnosed with stage 3b melanoma in July 2015. He had a lump under his arm that turned out to be melanoma, no primary lesion. He had a tlnd and all nodes removed were clean. So far he has been NED, not a day goes by that I  am not filled with fear and anxiety that the next scan will be the one that's bad. I was hoping that someone out there might have suggestions on how to get through these feelings. I want to be helpful to him, I don't want him worrying about me! 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

I am so sorry you're having to deal with the anxiety that goes along with a loved one who's been diagnosed with melanoma. One thing that my significant other can tell you, is that it gets better with time. There will always be some anxiety surrounding scan days and waiting for results. I was diagnosed 3b a year ago, and the anxiety has gotten better over time, but I still have that bit of worry after each scan. I often feel that it's harder on my family than it is on me. The best thing you can do to help ease your mind is to keep your mind busy on other things. After my diagnosis learned to crochet; it clears my mind as I focus on crocheting and it really helps on hard days. Find a hobby or two for yourself and things to do with your husband.

The one thing I remind myself is to live one day at a time. I can't control what tomorrow, a week, or a month will bring me. Just as much as anyone, cancer or no cancer diagnosis. Your husband is NED today, embrace the positive that brings. It could always be worse, but right now, it's not worse. Also, remember that it's ok to seek professional help. You aren't expected to have all the tools to know how to deal with the anxiety of all of this. It's a lot, especially for caregivers. 

Wishing you and your husband all the best,

jennunicorn
          Participant

I am so sorry you're having to deal with the anxiety that goes along with a loved one who's been diagnosed with melanoma. One thing that my significant other can tell you, is that it gets better with time. There will always be some anxiety surrounding scan days and waiting for results. I was diagnosed 3b a year ago, and the anxiety has gotten better over time, but I still have that bit of worry after each scan. I often feel that it's harder on my family than it is on me. The best thing you can do to help ease your mind is to keep your mind busy on other things. After my diagnosis learned to crochet; it clears my mind as I focus on crocheting and it really helps on hard days. Find a hobby or two for yourself and things to do with your husband.

The one thing I remind myself is to live one day at a time. I can't control what tomorrow, a week, or a month will bring me. Just as much as anyone, cancer or no cancer diagnosis. Your husband is NED today, embrace the positive that brings. It could always be worse, but right now, it's not worse. Also, remember that it's ok to seek professional help. You aren't expected to have all the tools to know how to deal with the anxiety of all of this. It's a lot, especially for caregivers. 

jennunicorn
            Participant

Coragirl
                Participant

Thank you so much for the good advice,as a wife and a mother to 4 children I often forget to take the time to care for myself.You sound very much like my husband,he also handles his diagnosis very well and has found that he is living his life to the fullest! I need to join him in that. I'm going to call a therapist today and maybe even visit a craft store. Thank you again.

Coragirl
                  Participant

Thank you so much for the good advice,as a wife and a mother to 4 children I often forget to take the time to care for myself.You sound very much like my husband,he also handles his diagnosis very well and has found that he is living his life to the fullest! I need to join him in that. I'm going to call a therapist today and maybe even visit a craft store. Thank you again.

Coragirl
                    Participant

Janner
                    Participant

If you are still having major anxiety 1.5 years after your husband's diagnosis, I think the time has come for professional help.  We all get "newly diagnosed" anxiety – both patients and involved caregivers.  But that typically eases over time with the first year being the worst.  At 1.5 years, you've gone beyond "typical" and have graduated to more obsessive. Scan times are always stressful, but daily and consistent fear and anxiety is not just "scanxiety".  I think seeing a professional counselor – possibly one recommended by a near cancer center who understands cancer anxiety – would be a good step at this point.  The point is, you've let melanoma win.  It hasn't come back and yet you are living in constant fear.  You've let melanoma have that power over you.  I wish I could offer more but I think professional help would be the best choice now.

jennunicorn
                        Participant

I missed the 2015 mention. I absolutely agree with Janner about getting professional help. If your every day life is being adversely affected due to anxiety, you need to see someone to help you learn how to deal with it so you can stop letting melanoma win.

jennunicorn
                          Participant

I missed the 2015 mention. I absolutely agree with Janner about getting professional help. If your every day life is being adversely affected due to anxiety, you need to see someone to help you learn how to deal with it so you can stop letting melanoma win.

jennunicorn
                            Participant

Coragirl
                              Participant

Thank you, you are right I am letting melanoma win,and we can't have that! I appreciate your advice so very much. I am going to make an appointment today.

Coragirl
                                Participant

Thank you, you are right I am letting melanoma win,and we can't have that! I appreciate your advice so very much. I am going to make an appointment today.

Coragirl
                                  Participant

Janner
                                  Participant

If you are still having major anxiety 1.5 years after your husband's diagnosis, I think the time has come for professional help.  We all get "newly diagnosed" anxiety – both patients and involved caregivers.  But that typically eases over time with the first year being the worst.  At 1.5 years, you've gone beyond "typical" and have graduated to more obsessive. Scan times are always stressful, but daily and consistent fear and anxiety is not just "scanxiety".  I think seeing a professional counselor – possibly one recommended by a near cancer center who understands cancer anxiety – would be a good step at this point.  The point is, you've let melanoma win.  It hasn't come back and yet you are living in constant fear.  You've let melanoma have that power over you.  I wish I could offer more but I think professional help would be the best choice now.

Janner
                                    Participant

Linny
                                      Participant

Take a deep breath. Relax. NED is great. As patients we all get "scanxiety" prior to scans. But you can't let it take over your life. Ditto for the spouse of the melanoma patient.

In a nutshell, someone with melanoma with an unknown primary (MUP) has an ace up their sleeve. According to a number of studies, that "ace" is the body's immune system which recognized the melanoma lesion on the skin and snuffed it out. But unfortunately, in your husband's case and in mine, some cells escaped annihilation and set up shop in a lymph node. So, in the case of those with MUP the body's immune system recognized the invader! This is especially good with melanoma. According to studies, we have a relatively decent prognosis. But it is touch and go in the beginning until you get used to the scan routine.

I was diagnosed in 2010 with MUP and am 6 years cancer free. Also had all my lymph nodes removed from under my left armpit. Do I still get scanxiety? Absolutely. Now I get it a few days before the scan as opposed to weeks before. If you're obsessing over your husband's scans daily, don't be embarassed to seek out a support group or professional help to get you over this hurdle. Stress can do a number on your health so you need to look out for your own well being.

Linny
                                        Participant

Take a deep breath. Relax. NED is great. As patients we all get "scanxiety" prior to scans. But you can't let it take over your life. Ditto for the spouse of the melanoma patient.

In a nutshell, someone with melanoma with an unknown primary (MUP) has an ace up their sleeve. According to a number of studies, that "ace" is the body's immune system which recognized the melanoma lesion on the skin and snuffed it out. But unfortunately, in your husband's case and in mine, some cells escaped annihilation and set up shop in a lymph node. So, in the case of those with MUP the body's immune system recognized the invader! This is especially good with melanoma. According to studies, we have a relatively decent prognosis. But it is touch and go in the beginning until you get used to the scan routine.

I was diagnosed in 2010 with MUP and am 6 years cancer free. Also had all my lymph nodes removed from under my left armpit. Do I still get scanxiety? Absolutely. Now I get it a few days before the scan as opposed to weeks before. If you're obsessing over your husband's scans daily, don't be embarassed to seek out a support group or professional help to get you over this hurdle. Stress can do a number on your health so you need to look out for your own well being.

Coragirl
                                            Participant

Thank you for the positive words, it is good to hear that you have been NED for 6 years! 

Coragirl
                                              Participant

Thank you for the positive words, it is good to hear that you have been NED for 6 years! 

Coragirl
                                                Participant

Linny
                                                Participant

blessd4x
                                                  Participant

my husband is stage 4.  Do not allow yourself to get so engrossed in the anxiety and the what if's that you lose what today has to offer.  Relax.  Do not worry for tomorrow, today is all you have.  Love him, make your memories and enjoy your life! 

R

blessd4x
                                                    Participant

my husband is stage 4.  Do not allow yourself to get so engrossed in the anxiety and the what if's that you lose what today has to offer.  Relax.  Do not worry for tomorrow, today is all you have.  Love him, make your memories and enjoy your life! 

R

Coragirl
                                                        Participant

Thank you, I appreciate your kind words. You and your husband are in my prayers.

Coragirl
                                                          Participant

Thank you, I appreciate your kind words. You and your husband are in my prayers.

Coragirl
                                                            Participant

blessd4x
                                                            Participant

R

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics