The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My experience with WBR

Forums General Melanoma Community My experience with WBR

Participant

Hello everybody,

Most of us (myself included) have been pretty scared at the prospect of whole brain radiation.  The potential side effects are scary and there are definitely some folks who have had a very bad experience.  I just finished my 14-day course of WBR, and my experience was not-so-scary after all.  I wanted to share to encourage others, both now and those who might stumble upon this post when searching the board for information in the months and years to come.

Hello everybody,

Most of us (myself included) have been pretty scared at the prospect of whole brain radiation.  The potential side effects are scary and there are definitely some folks who have had a very bad experience.  I just finished my 14-day course of WBR, and my experience was not-so-scary after all.  I wanted to share to encourage others, both now and those who might stumble upon this post when searching the board for information in the months and years to come.

Standard disclaimer…every treatment is individual; this post is the experience of THIS individual.  Your mileage may vary.  smiley

I had a 35 Gy dose, segmented into 2.5 Gy/day for 14 days (weekends off).   Therefore it took just under 3 weeks to finish.  Each dose takes less than five minutes, room entry to room exit.  The radiation itself is delivered in two pulses of 20-30 seconds each.  The only weird thing is that the radiation tricks the brain into seeing and smelling things that aren't there.  I saw a bright blue light and smelled ozone during the radiation pulses, but to my very great surprise, the technicians informed me that neither one was actually happening.

I began on a Monday.  My hair started to fall out on the second Sunday; by Monday (dose day 11)  I needed a scarf to go to work, and on Tuesday I had my friend buzz it because I was shedding everywhere.

I was warned that fatigue was a common and likely side effect.  I had not had significant fatigue.  I have been careful about getting to bed a little bit earlier and haven't had an issue.  Granted, I am an athlete, but I was able to continue working out several days each week, including one workout each week longer than an hour.  I have had no issues continuing full time at work. 

My eyes, ears, and scalp have become much drier than usual.  My contacts seem to "goop up" at night, making my vision a little fuzzy.  I was told that a feeling of plugged ears was somewhat common because the ear canal would produce thicker wax than usual.  For me, it's just been more like my ears are painfully dry.  The radiation oncologist recommended a drop of baby oil; this helps a little but I need to find unscented mineral oil (baby oil is fragranced).

My scalp and forehead are a little red.  My scalp got itchy almost right away, and a short time before my hair started falling out, my scalp became painfully sensitive.  It's getting better, two days after the last dose, but at this point I can only handle my wig or even a hat for a few hours at a time because my scalp is so sensitive.

So far, I don't feel any stupider.  cheeky  The radiation oncologist knows I research on my own pretty heavily, and he was quick to reassure me that a certain study that's out there citing a 50% rate of dementia after WBR is considered invalid because it combined WBR with radiation sensitizing drugs, which is not done any more. 

So there's my experience.  I wish nobody ever NEEDED to do this, but if you do…realize that it might not be as scary as you fear.  It wasn't for me.

KatyWI

Viewing 29 reply threads
    • Replies
        shellebrownies
        Participant

Katy,

Thanks for this very timely post. Don is in need of WBR and will likely start this coming week. Reading your account certainly takes some weight off my mind as I am also a researcher and it was some scary reading.

Lots of wishes on your continued success!

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
          Participant

Katy,

Thanks for this very timely post. Don is in need of WBR and will likely start this coming week. Reading your account certainly takes some weight off my mind as I am also a researcher and it was some scary reading.

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
            Participant

Katy,

Michelle, wife of Don

nickmac56
              Participant

thank you Katy, this is super helpful – my wife is likely going to go through the same experience in the next couple weeks, so this is a timely update. If you are able and feel up to it, periodic updates on how you are feeling and thinking would be very much appreciated. I wish you the very best and hope this works for you.

Nick

nickmac56
                Participant

thank you Katy, this is super helpful – my wife is likely going to go through the same experience in the next couple weeks, so this is a timely update. If you are able and feel up to it, periodic updates on how you are feeling and thinking would be very much appreciated. I wish you the very best and hope this works for you.

Nick

nickmac56
                  Participant

Nick

Phil S
                    Participant
                      Katy, First of all, let me say I Love Your Posts and look for them to read regularly, they are so full of positive energy and a sense of hope. Your last post, encouraged someone not to let melanoma rob them of another day, it already takes so much of us. I held that thought all day yesterday, on my son’s 9th birthday party, while my husband and I entertained 22 family and friends. My husband’s only request was that I not cry, so my son could just be happy and we could celebrate his day! I did pretty well, few tears when I hugged people goodbye, but our son had a wonderful day.
                      This week has been one of our hardest in the melanoma fight, my husband’s melanoma reared it’s ugly head almost three weeks ago, when he woke up with severe headache and couldn’t walk or talk right. It was quickly discovered he had a bleeding brain tumor, and he had a craniotomy. Now, the doctors are recommending WBR and Phil starts on Tuesday, so thanks for your post and positive energy! I am scared but really feel Phil can sail thru this treatment too, he also wants to keep working. Your spirit continues to amaze me, and you inspire me with your strength and courage, to continue to support my husband and fight this next battle. So, today will be another good family day, and we will try not to dwell on melanoma. Then, next week we begin the next step to control those nasty cancer cells. God bless you, and I hope you compete in another triathlon soon. Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                      Phil S
                      Participant
                        Katy, First of all, let me say I Love Your Posts and look for them to read regularly, they are so full of positive energy and a sense of hope. Your last post, encouraged someone not to let melanoma rob them of another day, it already takes so much of us. I held that thought all day yesterday, on my son’s 9th birthday party, while my husband and I entertained 22 family and friends. My husband’s only request was that I not cry, so my son could just be happy and we could celebrate his day! I did pretty well, few tears when I hugged people goodbye, but our son had a wonderful day.
                        This week has been one of our hardest in the melanoma fight, my husband’s melanoma reared it’s ugly head almost three weeks ago, when he woke up with severe headache and couldn’t walk or talk right. It was quickly discovered he had a bleeding brain tumor, and he had a craniotomy. Now, the doctors are recommending WBR and Phil starts on Tuesday, so thanks for your post and positive energy! I am scared but really feel Phil can sail thru this treatment too, he also wants to keep working. Your spirit continues to amaze me, and you inspire me with your strength and courage, to continue to support my husband and fight this next battle. So, today will be another good family day, and we will try not to dwell on melanoma. Then, next week we begin the next step to control those nasty cancer cells. God bless you, and I hope you compete in another triathlon soon. Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                          shellebrownies
                          Participant

Sending you big hugs, Valerie, and best wishes to Phil that his WBR goes well!

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
                            Participant

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
                              Participant

Michelle, wife of Don

Phil S
                              Participant
                                momof2kids
                                Participant

I hope all goes well for the rest of you during the WBR.

I am interested in all this as well, as I've already had Gamma Knife done on two tumors in my brain (leftovers from my craniotimy & another small quarter size spot). 

I was reading that many hospitals/areas don't have a Gamma Knife machine, and that's why they recommend Whole Brain Radiation to some people, others of course who have large spots, or more than like 5+, have to go with the Whole Brain Radiation.

Were any of you offered Gamma Knife?  I know they also choose to do the WBR so that hopefully future tumors don't come back, as it has a better chance of keeping them out of the brain.

momof2kids
                                  Participant

I am interested in all this as well, as I've already had Gamma Knife done on two tumors in my brain (leftovers from my craniotimy & another small quarter size spot). 

I was reading that many hospitals/areas don't have a Gamma Knife machine, and that's why they recommend Whole Brain Radiation to some people, others of course who have large spots, or more than like 5+, have to go with the Whole Brain Radiation.

Were any of you offered Gamma Knife?  I know they also choose to do the WBR so that hopefully future tumors don't come back, as it has a better chance of keeping them out of the brain.

momof2kids
                                    Participant

NYKaren
                                      Participant

Katy,

Thank you for your post.  You definately sound like you still have all your intellegence and wonderful sense of humor!

all the best,

karen

NYKaren
                                        Participant

Katy,

Thank you for your post.  You definately sound like you still have all your intellegence and wonderful sense of humor!

all the best,

karen

NYKaren
                                          Participant

Katy,

all the best,

karen

triciad
                                            Participant

Katy,

You are truly inspirational!  I'm so happy to hear that the WBR went so well.  Congratulations!  I will be sending positive thoughts and prayers that this will be a complete success for you!  Thanks for posting all of this information.  It certainly gives a positive side to WBR.

Love,

Tricia

triciad
                                              Participant

Katy,

You are truly inspirational!  I'm so happy to hear that the WBR went so well.  Congratulations!  I will be sending positive thoughts and prayers that this will be a complete success for you!  Thanks for posting all of this information.  It certainly gives a positive side to WBR.

Love,

Tricia

triciad
                                                Participant

Katy,

Love,

Tricia

lhaley
                                                  Participant

Katy,

Your post has been an inspiration and given great news.  I do the SRS tomorrow and need a sensible post that you've just written!

I'm already disorreinted  a little, but some is the size of the tumor, some is anxiety and some is the steroids.  Thanks for all of the info.

Linda

lhaley
                                                    Participant

Katy,

Your post has been an inspiration and given great news.  I do the SRS tomorrow and need a sensible post that you've just written!

I'm already disorreinted  a little, but some is the size of the tumor, some is anxiety and some is the steroids.  Thanks for all of the info.

Linda

lhaley
                                                      Participant

Katy,

Linda

ValinMtl
                                                        Participant

Katy, what a wonderful post to give those waiting for WBR hope.  Your a true inspiration!   Val stage IV, intereferon, ipilimumab, TIL

ValinMtl
                                                          Participant

Katy, what a wonderful post to give those waiting for WBR hope.  Your a true inspiration!   Val stage IV, intereferon, ipilimumab, TIL

ValinMtl
                                                            Participant

jag
                                                              Participant
                                                                Katy, thank you for a wonderful post. I really haven’t done much board participation lately, to help others, most of my treatments were fairly medieval/old (2004 biochemo, 2005 IL2), so I can’t relate well, keep up w/all of the new treatments. (NED >3yrs) my life is very much getting back to normal.

Although I don’t have much helpful info to give, thank you for showing how strong people with melanoma can be, and not letting it change your life. Something tells me you will outrun melanoma, maybe even lap it.

John Gallagher
                                                                You are in my prayers.

jag
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Katy, thank you for a wonderful post. I really haven’t done much board participation lately, to help others, most of my treatments were fairly medieval/old (2004 biochemo, 2005 IL2), so I can’t relate well, keep up w/all of the new treatments. (NED >3yrs) my life is very much getting back to normal.

Although I don’t have much helpful info to give, thank you for showing how strong people with melanoma can be, and not letting it change your life. Something tells me you will outrun melanoma, maybe even lap it.

John Gallagher
                                                                  You are in my prayers.

jag
                                                                  Participant

John Gallagher
                                                                    You are in my prayers.

Charlie S
                                                                    Participant

Oh baby, oh baby, oh baby !  Super post Katy and I soooooooooooooooooo like your mileage disclaimer !

This is the type of information that gives people working knowledge and intelligent tools to make informed decisions based upon real life and real people,,

Great post.  You will make a halloween follow up about the glow in the dark aspect, won't you?

Thank you.

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                                      Participant

Oh baby, oh baby, oh baby !  Super post Katy and I soooooooooooooooooo like your mileage disclaimer !

This is the type of information that gives people working knowledge and intelligent tools to make informed decisions based upon real life and real people,,

Great post.  You will make a halloween follow up about the glow in the dark aspect, won't you?

Thank you.

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                                        Participant

Thank you.

Charlie S

Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics