The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My Dad has progressed to Stage 4

Forums General Melanoma Community My Dad has progressed to Stage 4

Participant

My Dad is dealing with stage 4 melanoma and I would like some support and insight for him.

His Melanoma story:
      Diagnosed Nov 2018 with melanoma on his left ear.  Is working with Penn hospital.  Had MOHs surgery and SLNB in Dec/Jan.  All was good and clear until July 2018.  A lump grew on his neck.  The lump was melanoma.  He did 21 days of proton radiaton in Oct/Nov 2018, as well as monthly immunotherapy(I believe optiva).  He just went for his PET scan yesterday and they found very small nodules(melanoma) on his lungs…smaller then a cm.  The treatment did not work the way they wanted it to.  The next step is optiva/yervoy combination for 90 days until his next scan.

Right now he is down, feeling defeated, and scared.  I am reaching out for support for him.  His name is Kevin McBride.  He is 58 years old, and other then this melanoma, he is very healthy.  No previous disease.  In shape.  Never smoked.  I know he has a lot of fight left in him, but I feel he needs some support from this wonderful community you have here.

Thank you in advance,
      Kelly Gorman

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Yes, Kelly, it is gives a huge feeling of defeat to have a recurrence of melanoma, especially when you think you've done everything you could!!  But, there are many of us here that have been there, done that.  Doesn't make it easy for the next guy…but there is some comfort in it I think.

It sounds as though your dad was treated appropriately and has a good plan going forward.

Here is a primer I put together regarding melanoma care that may be helpful:  

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/08/melanoma-intel-primer-for-current.html  

Here is data that shows how beneficial the combo of radiation and immunotherapy can be in melanoma care: 

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=radiation+and+immunotherapy  

It does seem like a slap in the face to deal with a life threatening illness when you have been a non-smoker, sun avoider, exercise participating human all your life.  Yep.  Been there…am that.  And while there is no diet or exercise regimen that can save us from melanoma…being as healthy as you can in all ways is always a good thing!!!  If you're in for a fight, going in as strong as possible is always to your benefit.  

Hope is hard to attain when staring at the huge looming green stinky menancing balls of melanoma.  Hope is a difficut thing to 'give' another.  But, there are many wonderfully wise and kind folks on this forum that can help set you and your dad on a hopeful path.  I wish you and your dad my best.  Ask more as you have the need.  celeste

KLM2122
            Participant

Thank you, Celeste!  You are a true insperation and I hope that we can keep in touch as my Dad fights for his life.  I truley appreciate you!

sharonlynn210
              Participant

Hello,

My son was also diagnosed with Melanoma on 1/26/2018 and also Is being treated at the University of Penn.He was 18.Staged at 3c.Had surgery and a year of Keytruda.Yesterday he completed his treatment.What was your fathers initial stage?

KLM2122
                Participant

Well initially it was just on his ear(stage 1)…we thought.  Then progrssed to stage three when it recurred on his neck. I hope your sons treatments are working for him.

sharonlynn210
                  Participant

All scans are clear.However he also had 2 nodules on his lungs they have been watching all year. 3mm and 4mm

KLM2122
                    Participant

I wish him the best.  

BillB
                    Participant

Hi Kelly,

it sonds like your father has a low low tumor burden at this time, which is a great time to start immunotherapy. It is very successful all of the time but especially when there is a lowermtumor burden. 

Bill

KLM2122
                        Participant

Thank you for the encouraging words and support!

Viewing 1 reply thread
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics