The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My BRAF/MEK Status Report

Forums General Melanoma Community My BRAF/MEK Status Report

Participant

I'm well into the 6th month of the GSK BRAF/MEK study, taking the highest dosages of the 2 drug combo.  I'm happy to report that, as of the scans I had on Monday, all mets have either shrunk to sub-clinical size (i.e. cannot be imaged by MRI or CT) or (in the case of a couple of bone mets) seem stable.  The bone mets may actually be non-viable, but the damage they previously caused will probably always show on the scans.

I'm well into the 6th month of the GSK BRAF/MEK study, taking the highest dosages of the 2 drug combo.  I'm happy to report that, as of the scans I had on Monday, all mets have either shrunk to sub-clinical size (i.e. cannot be imaged by MRI or CT) or (in the case of a couple of bone mets) seem stable.  The bone mets may actually be non-viable, but the damage they previously caused will probably always show on the scans.

Very few side effects to report – most went away after the 1st few weeks.  Apparently the BRAF/MEK combo results in fewer patient complaints than the BRAF alone.  And according to staff at the Angeles Clinic, so far they have not seen the dreaded acquired resistance to the combo inhibitors (that has been a problem with BRAF alone).

Best wishes,

Harry

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Sounds like a great report!!!!     Have you heard if there is any discussion on a compassionate trial with these combo drugs?  

Keep on staying healthy

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

Sounds like a great report!!!!     Have you heard if there is any discussion on a compassionate trial with these combo drugs?  

Keep on staying healthy

Linda

lhaley
            Participant

Keep on staying healthy

Linda

AlisonC
              Participant
                wow Harry ! I’m a recent returnee to the mpip (prompted by a good friend’s progression to stage IV) so your story is new to me….but wow! That’s really kicking Mel where it hurts! go you πŸ™‚

Fingers crossed that you have a durable and lasting response. Your profile seems to suggest that your immune system has a good idea of how to keep it in check, so I really hope that this trial sees the back of Mel for another…oh, let’s say 50 years or so ?

πŸ™‚

AlisonC
                Stage IIIB
                NED since 2001

AlisonC
                Participant
                  wow Harry ! I’m a recent returnee to the mpip (prompted by a good friend’s progression to stage IV) so your story is new to me….but wow! That’s really kicking Mel where it hurts! go you πŸ™‚

Fingers crossed that you have a durable and lasting response. Your profile seems to suggest that your immune system has a good idea of how to keep it in check, so I really hope that this trial sees the back of Mel for another…oh, let’s say 50 years or so ?

πŸ™‚

AlisonC
                  Stage IIIB
                  NED since 2001

AlisonC
                  Participant

πŸ™‚

AlisonC
                    Stage IIIB
                    NED since 2001

jim Breitfeller
                    Participant

Harry,

Congrats!!!!

Is there a maintenance protocol on  your trial? The trick is to kill every last melanoma cell in your body. A maintenance regime may just be what you might need.

Wishing you all the best

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                      Participant

Harry,

Congrats!!!!

Is there a maintenance protocol on  your trial? The trick is to kill every last melanoma cell in your body. A maintenance regime may just be what you might need.

Wishing you all the best

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                        Participant

Harry,

Congrats!!!!

Wishing you all the best

Jimmy B

Richard_K
                          Participant
                            Great report! Love your hobby.
                            Dick
                            Richard_K
                            Participant
                              Dick
                              Richard_K
                              Participant
                                Dick
                                kylez
                                Participant

Awesome news for you Harry! It's so great to hear about good responses to a new treatment option.

SF Chronicle has an article out this morning about UCSF's participation in this trial, with quotes from GSK's director of oncology research, and from a patient with a response that sounds similar to yours.

It feels like "they're" chipping away a little bit more, unraveling one more piece of the huge puzzle. It's very cool when you are part of that new piece πŸ™‚

kylez
                                  Participant

Awesome news for you Harry! It's so great to hear about good responses to a new treatment option.

SF Chronicle has an article out this morning about UCSF's participation in this trial, with quotes from GSK's director of oncology research, and from a patient with a response that sounds similar to yours.

It feels like "they're" chipping away a little bit more, unraveling one more piece of the huge puzzle. It's very cool when you are part of that new piece πŸ™‚

kylez
                                    Participant

mombase
                                      Participant

Congartulations, Harry! Hopefully this combo is the next on the horizon for apporval (or close to it!). It must make trios to SoCal very much worth it!

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                                        Participant

Congartulations, Harry! Hopefully this combo is the next on the horizon for apporval (or close to it!). It must make trios to SoCal very much worth it!

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                                          Participant

Cristy, Stage IV

washoegal
                                            Participant

Thanks for the update.  So encouraging to hear good news. 

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                                              Participant

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                                                Participant

Mary

Stage 3

jag
                                                  Participant

Great news Harry, and stay ugly.

jag
                                                    Participant

jag
                                                      Participant

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics