The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My 1st clinical trial!

Forums General Melanoma Community My 1st clinical trial!

Participant
      Well, I won’t mince words, I’m beyond happy to say goodbye to another personally atrocious, melanoma-filled August and hello to another September filled with hope!

Last August was when I was diagnosed with a very painful recurrence in my stomach, after 18 glorious months of stability and being off treatment. This August, I battled through the endless , frustrating process of trying to start a clinical trial while the mass in my stomach grew painfully during my 1.5 months of treatment washout. I’ve struggled with exhaustion, eating, stomach pain, fear, anxiety and constant discomfort. We cancelled all of our travel plans while we constantly worked through new treatment schedule “plans” and now with the surge of Delta, I fear I’ve lost the chance to meet my niece who lives across the country before she turns 1.

All that aside, on September 2 I received my first doses of the STING agent and officially kicked off my first clinical trial. I’m already dealing with some expected side effects — fever/chills, headache, a bit of heart racing, exhaustion, injection site pain and some different stomach discomfort where my stomach mass exists — but boy have I never been more excited to have side effects and not just cancer symptoms!

The first 15 days of this trial I’ll receive 4 STING injections (two at a time). Then, on the 28th day I’ll start my second round of the Ipi/Nivo combo. This combo will be a bit more spread out though — I’ll receive Nivo every 4 weeks (for 30 months) and 4 doses of Ipi every 8 weeks. I’m hoping the spread out nature of this combo will help me to not develop hepatitis like I did last time. I’m also very excited because Ipi/Nivo was extremely effective on my melanoma and I’m hoping the second round with the STING agent will deliver even more durable results.

If anyone else has or is participating in a similar study, I’d love to hear from you. No matter who you are though I’m sending you all positive vibes for effective treatment, great  quality life and what we all want more than anything…treatment durability!

Cheers!

Amanda

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        Christinad
        Participant
          Hi Amanda,

Wishing you well on your clinical trial! You got this!

Bubbles
          Participant
            Clinical trials are not for the faint of heart, are they Amanda???  Fingers crossed for some great results.  In case others wonder, here is a pretty cool article on STING  –  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/04/210408131429.htm

Thanks so much for being a rattie!!!  You will teach us all.  Wishing you my very best!!!!  Celeste

AMcReader
              Participant
                Thank you!!
              AMcReader
              Participant
                Thanks, Celeste! That was a good, succinct read. Some of the reading I’d done related to DTING had been a lot more complex and hard for me to follow.

For the record, you are correct being a rattie is certainly not for the faint of heart!!!!!!!! It does give me even more appreciation for all the brave ones who came before though!

jbronicki
                Participant
                  Amanda, always in awe of your absolute amazing personality and determination.  I started reading about STING last night and was having trouble too and then Celeste’s link really helped!

I’m keeping all appendages crossed.

I didn’t think I could have more respect for patients in clinical trials, but now working in a phase 1/2  investigational cancer department, I do!  It has grown many times over.  The patients are EVERYTHING to bringing these treatments to the rest and these protocols are intense to say the least.

THANK YOU.  But most importantly, I’m hoping this hits the target quickly and you get great outcomes for you and your beautiful daughter and family.

Hugs,

gopher38
                  Participant
                    Hello Amanda,

Great news on the clinical trial.  I’ll be reading up on the STING procedure to keep in my back pocket, like I’m doing with the TIL story.  Hope this one turns out positive.  I think the fact that you had a positive reaction to ipi+nivo in the past is a good sign.

Warren (used to be gopher38, but for some odd reason the system marked me as a spammer, so now gopher38bis)

AMcReader
                      Participant
                        Awww, jbronki, your posts are always the kindest! I’m very hopeful about this trial and will certainly keep everyone posted on any strange responses or side effects. We all need each other through this!

I hope life is treating you well and that you enjoyed the heck out of your summer!

gopher38
                      Participant
                        Hello Amanda (if you’re reading this).

Quick question.  I believe you said that you are doing this trial through U of Pitt.  If I remember correctly, you are living in Milwaukee (could be wrong there).  If so, how is this working?  Are they administering the treatment in Milwaukee somewhere and then you go to Pitt for consultations?  Wondering how this works, for this and for other trials.  Thanks in advance.

Warren

ed williams
                        Participant
                          Warren, Dr. Jason Luke at UPMC Hillman is doing research with Sting and is a good source of information! several other injectable type drugs are also in the pipeline of clinical trials including TLR-9 agonist, NKTR-214 a modified IL-2 drug as well as sting agonists. here are a couple of good links on the topic. https://dailynews.ascopubs.org/do/10.1200/ADN.19.190427/full/.   https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6694/13/11/2695/htm
                            AMcReader
                            Participant
                              Hi Warren, You have an excellent memory! I’m from Milwaukee originally, but I live in Columbus, Ohio now which is only about a 3.5hr drive from Pittsburgh. Right now, everything is happening in Pittsburgh so it’s kind of a pain but they’ve been good about scheduling things all in a row to make the trips as quick as possible. It’d be much easier if I could do this in Columbus, where I live 10 minutes from the clinic, but Ohio State Medical Center isn’t running any good trials for me right now so we all thought it was best that I pursue this trial in Pittsburgh.
                              AMcReader
                              Participant
                                Thank you, Ed!! I’m definitely going to check out what Dr. Luke shares about STING!
                          Viewing 6 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics