The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mum about to start chemo then Yervoy…

Forums General Melanoma Community Mum about to start chemo then Yervoy…

Participant

Just thought I'd provide an update on Mum…and ask for some feedback in the Yervoy area of things.

A couple of weeks ago, my Mum got the ok to start on chemo and then Yervoy with respect to her tumour/s. The doctor said though that she couldn't start until start of October as their lab was closed for renovations, so they couldn't formulate the vaccine for her. This has been an incredibly frustrating and almost ridiculous process. I think it's bull that we have had to wait 4 weeks to get this done just because they are renovating their lab.

Just thought I'd provide an update on Mum…and ask for some feedback in the Yervoy area of things.

A couple of weeks ago, my Mum got the ok to start on chemo and then Yervoy with respect to her tumour/s. The doctor said though that she couldn't start until start of October as their lab was closed for renovations, so they couldn't formulate the vaccine for her. This has been an incredibly frustrating and almost ridiculous process. I think it's bull that we have had to wait 4 weeks to get this done just because they are renovating their lab.

Mum has had her pain coming back…last night she was really bad. She will probably be back on morphine soon too (she was on it when intiially diagnosed, but then when she had radiation, although it didn't shwo any progress with shrinking the tumour, her pain signifciantly reduced). I'm really worried that because of these doctors who play with people's lives, this whole Yervoy thing might have come too late. She hasn't had any scans in about a month or two either…so we don't know whether it's growing or what.

I just wanted some feedback as to whether anyone has been in this pain before they start Yervoy and have found that Yervoy has improved it??

Sorry for my angry comments, but right now I am a really worried and scared daughter…and unfrotunately I don't think I could forgive the medical profession for their "renovations" if this has come too late. Need some reassurance…. 🙁

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Ashley, thanks for the update on your mum. I think that it is irresponsible for the doctor to delay treatment until October.

I certainly agree with your concerns about this situation, and think that it would be wise to find an oncologist who can treat her promptly. I assume that you are still in Brisbane. However, your mum might need to go to Sydney or Melbourne to obtain appropriate treatment. Have you considered how far she is willing to travel?

Yervoy can certainly shrink tumours and may improve symptoms, but it is almost impossible to predict how well any individual will respond to it. As I might have mentioned before, surgery (if possible) is the preferred option when dealing with a tumour that is causing pain or other problems. Therefore, it is preferred that a surgical oncologist be consulted in addition to a medical oncologist.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

Ashley, thanks for the update on your mum. I think that it is irresponsible for the doctor to delay treatment until October.

I certainly agree with your concerns about this situation, and think that it would be wise to find an oncologist who can treat her promptly. I assume that you are still in Brisbane. However, your mum might need to go to Sydney or Melbourne to obtain appropriate treatment. Have you considered how far she is willing to travel?

Yervoy can certainly shrink tumours and may improve symptoms, but it is almost impossible to predict how well any individual will respond to it. As I might have mentioned before, surgery (if possible) is the preferred option when dealing with a tumour that is causing pain or other problems. Therefore, it is preferred that a surgical oncologist be consulted in addition to a medical oncologist.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

Hereiam
            Participant

Hi,

I am very sorry to hear that your mother is not receiving the best possible treatment! I agree, that you should probably seek for other options concerning the doctors. Hopefully there are enough oncologists available close to you (or rather close) which would take your mother`s disease more seriously!

Wishing all the success in finding a proper place and people who would do the best they can!

Hereiam
              Participant

Hi,

I am very sorry to hear that your mother is not receiving the best possible treatment! I agree, that you should probably seek for other options concerning the doctors. Hopefully there are enough oncologists available close to you (or rather close) which would take your mother`s disease more seriously!

Wishing all the success in finding a proper place and people who would do the best they can!

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics