The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Multiple melanomas in situ

Forums General Melanoma Community Multiple melanomas in situ

Participant
      Hi all. New here. I’m a 38yo female, fair complexion, life long sunscreen wearer. With a family history of melanoma (maternal aunt and older sister). I’ve had complete skin exams a few times in my adult life with a handful of biopsies, all normal. I went for a skin exam in November and the PA got four biopsies. Two were benign. One was severely dysplastic. One was melanoma in situ. It was excised and in the following appointments and suture removals more biopsies were performed. In less than three months a total of 15 biopsies- 3 benign nevi, 1 eczema, 8 dysplastic nevi (of varying severity) and three melanomas in situ (right shoulder blade, center lower back, back of left thigh). I’ve had the three MIS excised and two other excisions (for dysplastic nevi). I’ve seen three providers in one practice during this time. All three seem unconcerned. The dermapathology reports provide very little information beyond that they were in situ and that they all formed in existing nevi. I am waiting on on appointment with a different practice for another full body skin exam. Has anyone out there had multiple melanomas in situ at the same time? I asked for genetic testing (for myself and the tumors) and was dismissed. My family also has a history of thyroid cancer in females under 40. What else should I be asking?
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        JudiAU
        Participant
          It happens. People here and other melanoma forums report multiple independent primaries sometimes. One user here reports 20+ It doesn’t seem to indicate an increased risk of metastasis. It does seem to increase stress so I am sorry about that.
      Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics