The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mucosal treatment

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Mucosal treatment

Participant

Not to simplify too much but without any know mutations, what current treatment is showing the best numbers for mucosal melanoma?  

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

The best for all according to the numbers is ipi pd1 combo. But I don't believe they distinguish out mucosal. There are some severe but manageable side affects.

Jerry probably knows more about mucosal.

Artie

mary1233
            Participant

I asked my oncologist at Sloan what is more relevant in relation to treatment – the fact that I have mucosal melanoma or the mutation status. He said, without a doubt, the mutation status.

I had surgery and chemo in 2012 and 2013 because the immunotherapy was not ready for me. So much has changed and Artie is right – the ipi – PD-1 combo results are very impressive.

I just hope you choose to go to a major research center. They not only know what is available now, but what is waiting in the wings and they can guide you into a clinical trial best suited for you.

My best wishes for you.

Mary

mary1233
              Participant

I have been thinking about you. Having no known mutations is termed being a wild-type. The ipi anti PD1 that Artie mentioned has had a 61% response rate for melanoma wild types.

Another interesting read is a woman named Patrica LoRusso. She is currently at Yale and is starting up what will be a multi center study to take the specific mutations of wild type patients who have not responded to immunotherapy and apply a personalized medicine approach to address whatever specific mutation they have.

The whole treatment approach to cancer is changing.

Best of luck.

Mary

mary1233
                Participant

I have been thinking about you. Having no known mutations is termed being a wild-type. The ipi anti PD1 that Artie mentioned has had a 61% response rate for melanoma wild types.

Another interesting read is a woman named Patrica LoRusso. She is currently at Yale and is starting up what will be a multi center study to take the specific mutations of wild type patients who have not responded to immunotherapy and apply a personalized medicine approach to address whatever specific mutation they have.

Best of luck.

Mary

mary1233
                  Participant

Best of luck.

Mary

mary1233
                    Participant

I asked my oncologist at Sloan what is more relevant in relation to treatment – the fact that I have mucosal melanoma or the mutation status. He said, without a doubt, the mutation status.

I had surgery and chemo in 2012 and 2013 because the immunotherapy was not ready for me. So much has changed and Artie is right – the ipi – PD-1 combo results are very impressive.

I just hope you choose to go to a major research center. They not only know what is available now, but what is waiting in the wings and they can guide you into a clinical trial best suited for you.

My best wishes for you.

Mary

mary1233
                      Participant

My best wishes for you.

Mary

arthurjedi007
                      Participant

The best for all according to the numbers is ipi pd1 combo. But I don't believe they distinguish out mucosal. There are some severe but manageable side affects.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                        Participant

Artie

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics