The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mucosal Melanoma and Radiation

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Mucosal Melanoma and Radiation

Participant

My father was just diagnosed in July with MM of the nasal passage.  He went through 3 surgeries to try to get to clear margins, unsuccessfully.  He is now undergoing radiation (6.5 weeks, five times per week).  He is three weeks in and the side effects are so brutal they might have to stop the treatment.  He has severe swelling, sores and bleeding in his mouth, nose and lips.  He has lost 15 pounds so far and is unable to eat other than Ensure and even that is becoming difficult.  We are afraid he will choke to death in his sleep from the swelling of his mouth and throat.  His radiation doctor said she has never seen side effects this severe before.  I was just wondering what your experience was like with radiation and if you are able to give any suggestions on what helped you get through it?

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Rosegargala
        Participant
          I don’t have the answers to your question but I am sending love and prayers to you , your family , and your dad !!!
          Rosegargala
          Participant
            I don’t have the answers to your question but I am sending love and prayers to you , your family , and your dad !!!
            Rosegargala
            Participant
              Rosegargala
              Participant
                Rosegargala
                Participant
                  Rosegargala
                  Participant
                    arthurjedi007
                    Participant

I've been through 4 radiation treatments but never had anything like that. Instead of stop treatment maybe take a holiday from the treatment so he can recover. That way they will still have it on their records to resume treatment at some future date when he is strong and doing better again. But proceeding further with him in that shape does not sound like a good idea but that is just my opinion. How to recover from those side affects I'm not sure. Hopefully the doctors and nurses can help him.

Artie

Becky
                        Participant

Hi

here is a blog from someone with nasal melanoma who I bleleve also went though radiation treatments. He may chime in here as I think he posts occasionally to these boards, but if not, you could probably get in touch through his site

http://marcuscancervive.tumblr.com/

Becky
                          Participant

Hi

here is a blog from someone with nasal melanoma who I bleleve also went though radiation treatments. He may chime in here as I think he posts occasionally to these boards, but if not, you could probably get in touch through his site

Becky
                            Participant

Hi

arthurjedi007
                            Participant

I've been through 4 radiation treatments but never had anything like that. Instead of stop treatment maybe take a holiday from the treatment so he can recover. That way they will still have it on their records to resume treatment at some future date when he is strong and doing better again. But proceeding further with him in that shape does not sound like a good idea but that is just my opinion. How to recover from those side affects I'm not sure. Hopefully the doctors and nurses can help him.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                              Participant

Artie

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

Glad to talk with you and to put you in contat with others on the mucosal melanoma journey.  Have provided you my email aand phone info via the MPIP/MRF contact form.

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Glad to talk with you and to put you in contat with others on the mucosal melanoma journey.  Have provided you my email aand phone info via the MPIP/MRF contact form.

JerryfromFauq
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics