The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MRF- PLEASE can we get rid of the “most recent response moved to top of page” function?!?!

Forums General Melanoma Community MRF- PLEASE can we get rid of the “most recent response moved to top of page” function?!?!

Participant

I am kind of over being slapped in the face/confronted by posts from people who are no longer with us, and I dread to think how disconcerting and upsetting it is for carers/loved ones of those to scroll down the front page only to find posts about/by their loved ones while they are grieving.

I understand the reasoning behind it, but I don't believe that reason should outweigh these type of problems.

I am kind of over being slapped in the face/confronted by posts from people who are no longer with us, and I dread to think how disconcerting and upsetting it is for carers/loved ones of those to scroll down the front page only to find posts about/by their loved ones while they are grieving.

I understand the reasoning behind it, but I don't believe that reason should outweigh these type of problems.

It is annoying enough to find the function used to "bump" debated topics back into the spotlight (after days of people steering clear of responding), but this issue re: deceased members and loved ones surpasses annoyance. It is intrusive and in terribly poor taste- to put it mildly. Even giving the community an option to either 'show by date' or 'most recent' would be helpful.

Is there any chance that this could be done without a major upheaval (read: minimal cost)?

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bonnie Lea
        Participant

I concur it has happened to me seeing someone who has passed away suddenly be there front and centre Please try.

Bonnie Lea
          Participant

I concur it has happened to me seeing someone who has passed away suddenly be there front and centre Please try.

KyCyn
            Participant

Nic, stopped by today and saw your name and had to say Hello!!!   So very glad to see you about…

B y the way, MRF, you really should listen to Nic and Bonnie Lea and others who have said the same thing – show some sympathy and understanding here.

KyCyn
              Participant

Nic, stopped by today and saw your name and had to say Hello!!!   So very glad to see you about…

B y the way, MRF, you really should listen to Nic and Bonnie Lea and others who have said the same thing – show some sympathy and understanding here.

Fen
                Participant

I absolutely agree.  This format is so unwieldy.  Very important posts get pushed off the front page easily and never get a response.  I hate to admit it, but I get irritated with people who respond to months old posts because the new people who are hesitant about useage get lost.

The tech people might be thinking "Quit whining and learn to work with the new format" . My response to this is that the BB should be user friendly. People who are under significant stress, desperate for information should not have to jump through a hoop to get an answer to their important question.

Nic – post this puppy on the main BB – I'll be you'll get a lot of support for this.

Fen

Fen
                  Participant

I absolutely agree.  This format is so unwieldy.  Very important posts get pushed off the front page easily and never get a response.  I hate to admit it, but I get irritated with people who respond to months old posts because the new people who are hesitant about useage get lost.

The tech people might be thinking "Quit whining and learn to work with the new format" . My response to this is that the BB should be user friendly. People who are under significant stress, desperate for information should not have to jump through a hoop to get an answer to their important question.

Nic – post this puppy on the main BB – I'll be you'll get a lot of support for this.

Fen

Jerry from Cape Cod
                    Participant

My observation is that MRF wants it this way and doesn't really care.  It's been brought up numerous times.  The problem is that nobody at the MRF or the design firm care enough to try to understand what it's like to have a post pop up from months ago wishing a person well when that person has already passed.

It's not the fault of the responder, they might be new, or have been out of touch. 

It's one of the things that happened in this very poorly handled change to the "pretty" forums.

By the way most good forum scripts have settings to turn that feature on and off.

It's starting to be not as much of a problem as core people are drifting away.  They dynamic postings of just a year ago have turned into a dribble.  Especially in the OTBB.

Just one other pet peave if i might.

I also have a problem with the posta subjected "Anybody seen XXXXXX"

In recent cases those people are have the crap kicked out of them by this bastard of a disease.  If you haven't heard from someone and you really care, do a search first and if still not successful contact one of your online friends and inquire.

Thanks, Got that off my chest.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                      Participant

My observation is that MRF wants it this way and doesn't really care.  It's been brought up numerous times.  The problem is that nobody at the MRF or the design firm care enough to try to understand what it's like to have a post pop up from months ago wishing a person well when that person has already passed.

It's not the fault of the responder, they might be new, or have been out of touch. 

It's one of the things that happened in this very poorly handled change to the "pretty" forums.

By the way most good forum scripts have settings to turn that feature on and off.

It's starting to be not as much of a problem as core people are drifting away.  They dynamic postings of just a year ago have turned into a dribble.  Especially in the OTBB.

Just one other pet peave if i might.

I also have a problem with the posta subjected "Anybody seen XXXXXX"

In recent cases those people are have the crap kicked out of them by this bastard of a disease.  If you haven't heard from someone and you really care, do a search first and if still not successful contact one of your online friends and inquire.

Thanks, Got that off my chest.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Anonymous
                        Inactive

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that we are in the process of getting some quotes and feedback on changing this feature for our users.  You obviously know the pros of making this change.  The cons that the MRF needs to consider include: (1) this BB format is what many other organizations use and (2) we hesitate to make changes now that most of the BB users have finally gotten accustomed to this format.  

I will keep you informed as we proceed with this.  Please know that we are doing our very best to keep everyone happy and that we care very much about each of our online community members. 

Sincerely,

Shelby – MRF

Janner
                            Participant

Guess I'm going to jump in and add my suggestions.  The old BB format had both display functionalities.  That would be the best option – to choose either.  This has been suggested before.  But this format "loses" posts that don't get immediate replies.  They get shuffled off to page 2.  I monitor this board often, but I'll tell you right now I NEVER venture to page 2.  If it's not on page 1, I'm not going to read it.  The ability to change the default number of postings on a page may also help this problem.  (It would be nice if there were some user configurable options).

In addition, if there were a way to stop double/triple postings, that would help, too.  The Post time is excessively long and the Post button can be pressed several times.  Either the post time need to be optimized or the post button disabled.  Heck, even an hourglass cursor would help you know if you've already hit the post button or a simple mesage. This is NOT user friendly and not all board operate this way.  Often times, a post is resurrected from pages back because it has no replies and someone decides to offer a response.  Since the posts are no longer in chronological order, you can't see that the exact same post just before or after had many replies.   It adds to the confusion of this format.

Just because everyone uses it doesn't mean it's always the best solution.  The goal is to set the MRF apart, not make its board look like everyone elses.  At least that's what set apart MPIP in the past.  The old format was still easier to see responses.  This one, while not nearly as easy to visually see posts, could be so much better with a few tweaks.  Many "regulars" have moved away from MRF because this isn't as easy to navigate as before.  It's lost some of its pizazz.   I've contributed my suggestions to this new board format early on.  I'm glad to see that the users had some input.  But some times, the simple things make a lot of difference in usability. 

Now if only the chat room status stood out, we might also get some users back in there.

Just my 2 cents again.

Janner
                              Participant

Guess I'm going to jump in and add my suggestions.  The old BB format had both display functionalities.  That would be the best option – to choose either.  This has been suggested before.  But this format "loses" posts that don't get immediate replies.  They get shuffled off to page 2.  I monitor this board often, but I'll tell you right now I NEVER venture to page 2.  If it's not on page 1, I'm not going to read it.  The ability to change the default number of postings on a page may also help this problem.  (It would be nice if there were some user configurable options).

In addition, if there were a way to stop double/triple postings, that would help, too.  The Post time is excessively long and the Post button can be pressed several times.  Either the post time need to be optimized or the post button disabled.  Heck, even an hourglass cursor would help you know if you've already hit the post button or a simple mesage. This is NOT user friendly and not all board operate this way.  Often times, a post is resurrected from pages back because it has no replies and someone decides to offer a response.  Since the posts are no longer in chronological order, you can't see that the exact same post just before or after had many replies.   It adds to the confusion of this format.

Just because everyone uses it doesn't mean it's always the best solution.  The goal is to set the MRF apart, not make its board look like everyone elses.  At least that's what set apart MPIP in the past.  The old format was still easier to see responses.  This one, while not nearly as easy to visually see posts, could be so much better with a few tweaks.  Many "regulars" have moved away from MRF because this isn't as easy to navigate as before.  It's lost some of its pizazz.   I've contributed my suggestions to this new board format early on.  I'm glad to see that the users had some input.  But some times, the simple things make a lot of difference in usability. 

Now if only the chat room status stood out, we might also get some users back in there.

Just my 2 cents again.

bcl
                                Participant

Hi Shelby, I wrote a couple of emails to Tim a few weeks ago, likely he shared them with you as he said he was going to consult with others.

I was asking the MRF to allow posters to be able to draw attention to questions asked within a thread, and I understood from Tim that while he has an open mind, there is a reluctance to change things now that others have got used to the new site.

As person who would like to see consumer friendly changes I don't understand the attraction of being the same as others (1)  What we had before was special, now it's not. People in need certainly managed to ask for help in the past, so I doubt some tweaking would prevent anyone from asking for help now (2).

What we are asking here is that the site evolve into the best of both formats. We are all human, very few of us could get something of this magnitude right the first time.  Nic and the other posters are asking for a post sorting change out of compassion for others -I hope you can find a way to hear them.  Thanks,  linda

bcl
                                  Participant

Hi Shelby, I wrote a couple of emails to Tim a few weeks ago, likely he shared them with you as he said he was going to consult with others.

I was asking the MRF to allow posters to be able to draw attention to questions asked within a thread, and I understood from Tim that while he has an open mind, there is a reluctance to change things now that others have got used to the new site.

As person who would like to see consumer friendly changes I don't understand the attraction of being the same as others (1)  What we had before was special, now it's not. People in need certainly managed to ask for help in the past, so I doubt some tweaking would prevent anyone from asking for help now (2).

What we are asking here is that the site evolve into the best of both formats. We are all human, very few of us could get something of this magnitude right the first time.  Nic and the other posters are asking for a post sorting change out of compassion for others -I hope you can find a way to hear them.  Thanks,  linda

lhaley
                                    Participant

It has happened again.  Just the other day Sharmon posted that Brent's tumors were growing and they were looking for a new trial.  Someone brought up a post from Sept. where he was doing great.  This would have to be so upsetting for her to read. 

It was so helpful on the old board when we could change the title of the post midway through. So often a new person to the board doesn't word the question in a way that would get the most responses. 

We haven't gotten use to the new format, we've tolerated it. That is those of us that have stayed. I know of a few that left because they couldn't find posts anymore.

We do appreciate what you do Shelby!

Linda

lhaley
                                      Participant

It has happened again.  Just the other day Sharmon posted that Brent's tumors were growing and they were looking for a new trial.  Someone brought up a post from Sept. where he was doing great.  This would have to be so upsetting for her to read. 

It was so helpful on the old board when we could change the title of the post midway through. So often a new person to the board doesn't word the question in a way that would get the most responses. 

We haven't gotten use to the new format, we've tolerated it. That is those of us that have stayed. I know of a few that left because they couldn't find posts anymore.

We do appreciate what you do Shelby!

Linda

Anonymous
                                      Inactive

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that we are in the process of getting some quotes and feedback on changing this feature for our users.  You obviously know the pros of making this change.  The cons that the MRF needs to consider include: (1) this BB format is what many other organizations use and (2) we hesitate to make changes now that most of the BB users have finally gotten accustomed to this format.  

I will keep you informed as we proceed with this.  Please know that we are doing our very best to keep everyone happy and that we care very much about each of our online community members. 

Sincerely,

Shelby – MRF

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

The phrases “gotten accustomed to” and “have got used to the new site” in no way indicate approval of this change in format. We were first on the way things were done and do not agree with changes just to “be like others”.

Does your contractor ever review Jeff's BB and look at what made it so useful?

We are not against change that improves, but do get very frustrated with change “just because some one else does it differently”. We haven't gotten used to the new format, we've continued in spite of it.

Many of us greatly appreciate the revision to the site that re-introduced Jeff's foundation of the MPIP BB& Chat rooms background.

The page lengths are too short for now and the relocation of the primary post from it's original order is a pain.

Janner and Linda and others have certainly made valid points above regarding Nic and many others frustration with the current format.  And yes, delay in a posting taking place is not very user friendly.

We don't mind being unique when we're the best!

At least allow us to have the sort options of sorting by date/time of the posting of the threads primary posting in addition to sorting based on the last entry date/time. 

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

The phrases “gotten accustomed to” and “have got used to the new site” in no way indicate approval of this change in format. We were first on the way things were done and do not agree with changes just to “be like others”.

We are not against change that improves, but do get very frustrated with change “just because some one else does it differently”. We haven't gotten used to the new format, we've continued in spite of it.

Many of us greatly appreciate the revision to the site that re-introduced Jeff's foundation of the MPIP BB& Chat rooms background.

The page lengths are too short for now and the relocation of the primary post from it's original order is a pain.

Janner and Linda and others have certainly made valid points above regarding Nic and many others frustration with the current format.  And yes, delay in a posting taking place is not very user friendly.

At least allow us to have the sort options of sorting by date/time of the posting of the threads primary posting in addition to sorting based on the last entry date/time. 

JerryfromFauq
                                            Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                              Participant

Janis B.
                                                Participant

So, I hope no one gets upset because I'm responding to a post that started on the 5th. ๐Ÿ™‚ Only once before have I wandered over here and I just decided to hit on the topic because it looked interesting.  I totally agree with the importance or never ever hurting a family member who's lost someone recently and setting up the board so that this doesn't happen.

BUT — it really really bothers me to read comments about missing "core" people and "regulars" and dynamic posts.  This is not the first time that I've read someone bemoaning the loss of regulars.  Did y'all know that it can be VERY difficult to answer a post? I can read a question and look away for a minute and there are 18 replies. Very good ones. So I try to send out condolences at every opportunity and make a contribution that way, but a regular that does not make me.But it', bu,

However, I'm pretty sure that I'm a core person, even if none of you know me, just because I've been fighting melanoma while progessing from Stage IB to IIIC during the past 3 years.   I'm pretty sure we're all core people, even if we're not so great on a BB.  

And finally, on a lighter note, I laughed out loud about the comment on the time it takes for our posts to complete.  Lately, I've been getting very irritated at people who tell me they don't have time for this and they don't have time for that.  I say, come to MD Anderson and I'll show you people who really don't have time.  So, I have to agree – none of us has time for those long posting waits ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for allowing this l-o-o-ng rant.  I'm waiting to hear about a clinical trial and am particularly on edge these days.

Janner
                                                    Participant

Janis,

I'm sure you are a core person here.  And we appreciate all postings whether by core people or not.  But I will say you misunderstood my comment about waiting for the post to finish.  It's not the actual time it takes to post, it's just that because it takes so long and there is no immediate feedback that the button was pressed, many don't think they've hit the button and then they hit the post button again.  The long wait time encourages multiple postings, not my impatience.  Being a computer programmer, I know there are ways around this to make it more user friendly.  I don't care if it takes 5 seconds, 20 seconds or a full minute to post as long as the poster understands he has already pressed the button and need not do it again.  Given the board format, multiple postings are problematic because they are not kept in chronological order. 

wink

Janner

Janner
                                                      Participant

Janis,

I'm sure you are a core person here.  And we appreciate all postings whether by core people or not.  But I will say you misunderstood my comment about waiting for the post to finish.  It's not the actual time it takes to post, it's just that because it takes so long and there is no immediate feedback that the button was pressed, many don't think they've hit the button and then they hit the post button again.  The long wait time encourages multiple postings, not my impatience.  Being a computer programmer, I know there are ways around this to make it more user friendly.  I don't care if it takes 5 seconds, 20 seconds or a full minute to post as long as the poster understands he has already pressed the button and need not do it again.  Given the board format, multiple postings are problematic because they are not kept in chronological order. 

wink

Janner

Bonnie Lea
                                                        Participant

Janis B.   also what Janner meant, when talking about missing regulars and others, it was directed mainly for the OFF TOPIC BOARD  Many Many of our regulars just do not post on the OTBB whether they do or not on the main board, I do not know, but I do know that I will post on main board, but mainly my stuff is for OFF TOPIC and many of our members just do not come here, (and MRF) for thtat matter.   Me not a programmer, me illiterate in computer use, but me know what I can or cannot do.

of course it is hard to answer some of the postings  on the main board.  Never really hard to answer a post on the OTBB board where it is or rather was a fun sort of place to be, and get our minds off Mel for a wee while. 

the time it takes to have the 'post' actually shows up is frustrating.  look at JERRY (had to use you as an example my dear horsey guy)   who has posted  double, we all do that in moments of brain farts.

Oh and Janner, does a Mac have a hour glass? 

Bonnie Lea

Bonnie Lea
                                                          Participant

Janis B.   also what Janner meant, when talking about missing regulars and others, it was directed mainly for the OFF TOPIC BOARD  Many Many of our regulars just do not post on the OTBB whether they do or not on the main board, I do not know, but I do know that I will post on main board, but mainly my stuff is for OFF TOPIC and many of our members just do not come here, (and MRF) for thtat matter.   Me not a programmer, me illiterate in computer use, but me know what I can or cannot do.

of course it is hard to answer some of the postings  on the main board.  Never really hard to answer a post on the OTBB board where it is or rather was a fun sort of place to be, and get our minds off Mel for a wee while. 

the time it takes to have the 'post' actually shows up is frustrating.  look at JERRY (had to use you as an example my dear horsey guy)   who has posted  double, we all do that in moments of brain farts.

Oh and Janner, does a Mac have a hour glass? 

Bonnie Lea

Janis B.
                                                          Participant

So, I hope no one gets upset because I'm responding to a post that started on the 5th. ๐Ÿ™‚ Only once before have I wandered over here and I just decided to hit on the topic because it looked interesting.  I totally agree with the importance or never ever hurting a family member who's lost someone recently and setting up the board so that this doesn't happen.

BUT — it really really bothers me to read comments about missing "core" people and "regulars" and dynamic posts.  This is not the first time that I've read someone bemoaning the loss of regulars.  Did y'all know that it can be VERY difficult to answer a post? I can read a question and look away for a minute and there are 18 replies. Very good ones. So I try to send out condolences at every opportunity and make a contribution that way, but a regular that does not make me.But it', bu,

However, I'm pretty sure that I'm a core person, even if none of you know me, just because I've been fighting melanoma while progessing from Stage IB to IIIC during the past 3 years.   I'm pretty sure we're all core people, even if we're not so great on a BB.  

And finally, on a lighter note, I laughed out loud about the comment on the time it takes for our posts to complete.  Lately, I've been getting very irritated at people who tell me they don't have time for this and they don't have time for that.  I say, come to MD Anderson and I'll show you people who really don't have time.  So, I have to agree – none of us has time for those long posting waits ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for allowing this l-o-o-ng rant.  I'm waiting to hear about a clinical trial and am particularly on edge these days.

Janis B.
                                                            Participant

OK, thanks for clearing this up for me.  I absolutely didn't know you all were talking about the OTB.  But I think I'll hang around this neighborhood for a while and get to know folks.

This is my  first bulletin board experience, so I don't have anything to compare it to and I not terribly aware of what can be improved. I DID notice the long wait time for posting, never knew when the posting was complete and figured this was the reason for the double and triple entries. But I was sad that no one laughed at my melanoma joke about us having no  time – just an attempt at black (pun intended) humor. 

Anyway, I recognize the names of each and everyone of you and I thank you with all  my heart for your committment to this space and for all of the comfort and information you give daily.  That's a lot of love.

Janis B.
                                                              Participant

OK, thanks for clearing this up for me.  I absolutely didn't know you all were talking about the OTB.  But I think I'll hang around this neighborhood for a while and get to know folks.

This is my  first bulletin board experience, so I don't have anything to compare it to and I not terribly aware of what can be improved. I DID notice the long wait time for posting, never knew when the posting was complete and figured this was the reason for the double and triple entries. But I was sad that no one laughed at my melanoma joke about us having no  time – just an attempt at black (pun intended) humor. 

Anyway, I recognize the names of each and everyone of you and I thank you with all  my heart for your committment to this space and for all of the comfort and information you give daily.  That's a lot of love.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics