The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mr. Potato Head

Forums General Melanoma Community Mr. Potato Head

Participant

I have a question for you all. Does anyone have experience with sub-q’s popping up on the scalp? My primary was on my scalp, and recurred twice. I have a sub-q on my shoulder, which appeared quickly, but isn’t growing rapidly. At this point maybe 1.5 cm.

However, I have about a half dozen new BB-sized lumps on my head. They aren’t inflamed and really just feel like BBs just under my dermis. Two of them are tender, the rest not. But who wants to have lumps on their head (then again who wants to have this damn cancer in the first place)?

The research lead for the TIL trial wants to biopsy the one on my shoulder, but I am tempted to ask her do the one on my forehead instead. At least the other ones are less visible. Well, I guess until my hair falls out from the chemo.

–          Paul

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        miaka618
        Participant
          Well funny thing is my last pet scan showed a couple on my head around my ear and in the one remaining lymph node on the right side of my face. They did a biopsy on the node and I am going to find out the results today. I’m guessing positive results will mean more surgery… And my face was finally looking pretty again. Lol Can’t they biopsy both your shoulder and your head?
          Does your trial allow for surgery? I would just want all that crap cut out.
            _Paul_
            Participant

Sorry to hear about the ones in/on your head too.

I guess realistically speaking, since I start the trial on the 20th, I can just wait to see if it works. They should start to disappear if so. I can just rub my head as my personal melanoma meter!

But since posting this, I have come to find out I also have one in my left ear canal. That one seems scarier to me but my main melanoma onc didn't seem overly concerned. One more question for next week when I have all the trial exclusion testing and meet with the team.

_Paul_
              Participant

I guess realistically speaking, since I start the trial on the 20th, I can just wait to see if it works. They should start to disappear if so. I can just rub my head as my personal melanoma meter!

But since posting this, I have come to find out I also have one in my left ear canal. That one seems scarier to me but my main melanoma onc didn't seem overly concerned. One more question for next week when I have all the trial exclusion testing and meet with the team.

_Paul_
                Participant

miaka618
                Participant
                  Well funny thing is my last pet scan showed a couple on my head around my ear and in the one remaining lymph node on the right side of my face. They did a biopsy on the node and I am going to find out the results today. I’m guessing positive results will mean more surgery… And my face was finally looking pretty again. Lol Can’t they biopsy both your shoulder and your head?
                  miaka618
                  Participant
                    JoshF
                    Participant

Paul-

Unfortunately I've had a few lumps pop out on scalp. I had 3 removed just over a week ago because they simply just bothered me. Just found out yesterday that all 3 were melanoma. I guess I wasn't shocked. Still pisses me off as 1 of the bumps were after I did Adoptive Cell Therapy at MDA. So while I may have benefited, I have to assume not my magic bullett. So now I'm off to neurosurgeon to get results of MRI I did other day. Looks like I may be starting TIL if all goes well. I've been having rough go lately with liver. Wishing you nothing but best.

Josh

ed williams
                        Participant

Hi Josh, I hope you get some good results today!!! Best Wishes!!!Ed

ed williams
                          Participant

Bubbles
                            Participant

I second Ed's sentiments, Joshie.  Just thinking about both of you with your easily accessible lumps and bumps…..even though I know you are about to embark on different things…..maybe ask about intralesionals????  I mean….it never hurts to ask and there's some pretty compelling data.  Just thinking.  Hang in there, Paul.  Withing you both well.  celeste

Bubbles
                              Participant

I second Ed's sentiments, Joshie.  Just thinking about both of you with your easily accessible lumps and bumps…..even though I know you are about to embark on different things…..maybe ask about intralesionals????  I mean….it never hurts to ask and there's some pretty compelling data.  Just thinking.  Hang in there, Paul.  Withing you both well.  celeste

BrianP
                                Participant

Josh,

Are you going to have another harvesting period for the TIL cells?  I wonder if you could give intralesionals a go before getting to the washout period for the TIL infusion.  Wish you well.  I get my new and improved cells next Thursday. 

Brian

BrianP
                                  Participant

Josh,

Are you going to have another harvesting period for the TIL cells?  I wonder if you could give intralesionals a go before getting to the washout period for the TIL infusion.  Wish you well.  I get my new and improved cells next Thursday. 

Brian

BrianP
                                    Participant

Josh,

Brian

JoshF
                                      Participant

Hi Brian!

not going to go into detail but you can read post I just put up. I'll be there on Thursday for CT and see doc on Friday. Those cells put up a fight for me but given everything happening, not my magic bullett. Not sure if disease load played into that but I'm disappointed. Praying for better results for you.

Josh

JoshF
                                        Participant

Hi Brian!

not going to go into detail but you can read post I just put up. I'll be there on Thursday for CT and see doc on Friday. Those cells put up a fight for me but given everything happening, not my magic bullett. Not sure if disease load played into that but I'm disappointed. Praying for better results for you.

Josh

JoshF
                                          Participant

Hi Brian!

Josh

_Paul_
                                            Participant

I'm not going to forget to ask this time! Thanks for the reminder Celeste!

_Paul_
                                              Participant

_Paul_
                                                Participant

Bubbles
                                                  Participant

ed williams
                                                    Participant

_Paul_
                                                      Participant

I am happy you are getting such great info in the responses to your other post about the brain mets they found. Hopefully they can zap those suckers and get the TIL started shortly after. And like another person pointed out, you could get an abscopal effect with the TIL.

I like the idea of removing them for no better reason then because of being bothered. I'm definitely going to ask. I haven't had any of mine biopsied yet, but given how they are slowly but steadily growing and have dark looking interiors (like looking at a blood blister under the skin), it only makes sense that's what they are, and my oncologist didn't even try to disagree when first I showed him the sub-q on my shoulder.

_Paul_
                                                        Participant

I am happy you are getting such great info in the responses to your other post about the brain mets they found. Hopefully they can zap those suckers and get the TIL started shortly after. And like another person pointed out, you could get an abscopal effect with the TIL.

I like the idea of removing them for no better reason then because of being bothered. I'm definitely going to ask. I haven't had any of mine biopsied yet, but given how they are slowly but steadily growing and have dark looking interiors (like looking at a blood blister under the skin), it only makes sense that's what they are, and my oncologist didn't even try to disagree when first I showed him the sub-q on my shoulder.

_Paul_
                                                          Participant

JoshF
                                                          Participant

Paul-

Unfortunately I've had a few lumps pop out on scalp. I had 3 removed just over a week ago because they simply just bothered me. Just found out yesterday that all 3 were melanoma. I guess I wasn't shocked. Still pisses me off as 1 of the bumps were after I did Adoptive Cell Therapy at MDA. So while I may have benefited, I have to assume not my magic bullett. So now I'm off to neurosurgeon to get results of MRI I did other day. Looks like I may be starting TIL if all goes well. I've been having rough go lately with liver. Wishing you nothing but best.

Josh

JoshF
                                                            Participant

Paul-

Josh

dvd
                                                              Participant

Paul –

My primary was also on my scalp (0.4mm depth, non-ulcerated, excised with clear margins) and as the beast was taking over my body 6 years later I also had several small SubQ lesions pop up on my head. All were non-pigmented and looked kind of like a benign pimple. Like yours, some were mildly inflamed and tender, others weren't. In retrospect, one small one had been there for years, but not recognized by either me or my Derm as a met.

Since they became so obvious to me, it was very interesting to follow their demise as I responded in the combo trial. By the second infusion they were soft and shrinking, by the third infusion completely gone with no residual.

I had had a good-sized (1cm X 2cm) tumor recurrence in the incision line from my parotidectomy which was excised and used for tumor markers, so did not need to have any of my scalp lesions biopsied.

January will be three years since the combo trial started for me — still NED…

DVD

dvd
                                                                Participant

Paul –

My primary was also on my scalp (0.4mm depth, non-ulcerated, excised with clear margins) and as the beast was taking over my body 6 years later I also had several small SubQ lesions pop up on my head. All were non-pigmented and looked kind of like a benign pimple. Like yours, some were mildly inflamed and tender, others weren't. In retrospect, one small one had been there for years, but not recognized by either me or my Derm as a met.

Since they became so obvious to me, it was very interesting to follow their demise as I responded in the combo trial. By the second infusion they were soft and shrinking, by the third infusion completely gone with no residual.

I had had a good-sized (1cm X 2cm) tumor recurrence in the incision line from my parotidectomy which was excised and used for tumor markers, so did not need to have any of my scalp lesions biopsied.

DVD

_Paul_
                                                                    Participant

That is awesome, 3 years of NEDness.

And it would be immensely satisfying to feel Zaphod (I nicknamed my biggest sub-q) shrinking and dying on my shoulder. But the plan is to biopsy it (and test for cKIT and NRAS). Maybe an option is to leave the sub-q's on my head until after the treatment is completed by the beginning of January. If they are shrinking like yours did then there wouldn't be a reason to cut them out.

_Paul_
                                                                      Participant

And it would be immensely satisfying to feel Zaphod (I nicknamed my biggest sub-q) shrinking and dying on my shoulder. But the plan is to biopsy it (and test for cKIT and NRAS). Maybe an option is to leave the sub-q's on my head until after the treatment is completed by the beginning of January. If they are shrinking like yours did then there wouldn't be a reason to cut them out.

_Paul_
                                                                        Participant

dvd
                                                                        Participant

Paul –

DVD

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics