The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MPIP Spam Filter

Forums General Melanoma Community MPIP Spam Filter

Participant

Tim et al., since I haven't said it in awhile (and since I recently made my modest annual donation to MRF)–your spam filter sucks.  Please get it fixed.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Amen, and…amen!!  c

Bubbles
          Participant

Amen, and…amen!!  c

Bubbles
            Participant

Amen, and…amen!!  c

Tim–MRF

Spam is a constant battle. We could increase security, but that places a lot of barriers to posting. We could monitor everything before it goes live, but that would put a damper on the conversation. Our approach so far has been to put reasonable filtering in place, then try to clean up the stuff that gets through. I am not a tech guru, but am following the counsel of someone who is.

Having said that, if others have suggestions of better technology or practices that can help I would love to hear about it. 

On a related matter, we do struggle with what is sometimes posted. If someone posts a message asking everyone to buy a timeshare, we know that is spam–easy call. But the situation is different when someone who has posted on a variety of topics over a period of time puts in a message saying, "Hey, I tried this supplement and it really helped me."  We tend to have a rather light hand in pulling down such posts, prefering to keep this an open and free community. Perhaps we need to reconsider that approach.

Again, your thoughts and suggestions are welcome and encouraged! Feel free to contact me directly: [email protected]

Tim–MRF

Bubbles
                  Participant

If counterfeit money and pass port folks were blocked…most of the spam would be taken care of.  It seems to me a few key words could be instumental in that fight.  Simple surveillance by MRF staff, 2-3 times daily, for same and prompt removal would also diminish the unseemly impact to those who are deaing with complex, and at times devastating, diagnoses.  Your attention to this matter is much appreciated.  Celeste

Bubbles
                    Participant

If counterfeit money and pass port folks were blocked…most of the spam would be taken care of.  It seems to me a few key words could be instumental in that fight.  Simple surveillance by MRF staff, 2-3 times daily, for same and prompt removal would also diminish the unseemly impact to those who are deaing with complex, and at times devastating, diagnoses.  Your attention to this matter is much appreciated.  Celeste

Bubbles
                      Participant

Tim–MRF

Spam is a constant battle. We could increase security, but that places a lot of barriers to posting. We could monitor everything before it goes live, but that would put a damper on the conversation. Our approach so far has been to put reasonable filtering in place, then try to clean up the stuff that gets through. I am not a tech guru, but am following the counsel of someone who is.

Having said that, if others have suggestions of better technology or practices that can help I would love to hear about it. 

On a related matter, we do struggle with what is sometimes posted. If someone posts a message asking everyone to buy a timeshare, we know that is spam–easy call. But the situation is different when someone who has posted on a variety of topics over a period of time puts in a message saying, "Hey, I tried this supplement and it really helped me."  We tend to have a rather light hand in pulling down such posts, prefering to keep this an open and free community. Perhaps we need to reconsider that approach.

Again, your thoughts and suggestions are welcome and encouraged! Feel free to contact me directly: [email protected]

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics