The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Moving on from radiation to Opdivo + Yervoy

Forums General Melanoma Community Moving on from radiation to Opdivo + Yervoy

Participant

So after almost of a year of Opdivo and positive results I had one stubborn met show up on the iliac (upper part of hip bone). I then had 5 rounds of radiation and waited the 6-8 weeks to find out that the radiation didn't help and the met has doubled in size since late Dec. My doctor is recommending opdivo + yervoy. I have done very well on opdivo with minimal side effects. I am hoping for minimal side effects with the new treatment but know the reality is that the chance of side effect are much higher. My CT scans stated Continued increase in size of metastasis with extraosseous necrotic tumor now 4.6 cm x 4.4cm previously 2.9cm x 1.6cm. Wondering about the statement "extraosseous necrotic"?? Thanks for any insight!

Thanks,

Missy

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi Missy, could you give a little more information on the report that has the term "extraosseous necrotic". It is easier to make sense when in context with other sentences in the report. Best Wishes that the combination does the trick!!!Ed

iskitwo
            Participant

Thanks for the reply Ed! The reports seem very short/shorter than normal. This is the whole statement about the bone mass. 

Continued increase in size of metastasis with extraosseous necrotic tumor now 4.6 cm x 4.4cm previously 2.9cm x 1.6cm.

ed williams
              Participant

This one is outside my pay grade, I hope some one else can help with their personal experiences!!!

Bubbles
              Participant

Hey Missy,

Technically "extraosseous necrotic" means – "outside the bone" and "dead or dying".  So…I think your radiation did some good!!!  Though the tumor you have did increase in size from the 2.9 X1.6 cm to 4.6 X 4.4cm, that increase could well be due to inflammation and deterioration caused by the radiation!! The tumor now looks like it is outside the bone and made up of dead or dying material.  It still think the ipi/nivo combo is a good idea since this tumor didn't respond to Opdivo alone.  However, I am betting this will either disappear or just sit there as the lump of mess that it is. HA!  Additionally, we have learned that radiation combined with immunotherapy is much more effective than either treatment alone.  Lots of reports here if you are interested:  https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=radiation+and+immunotherapy  

Hope this helps.  Wishing you my best.  celeste

iskitwo
                  Participant

Thank you Celeste. Your responce does pull together some of the things that the doctor was talking about. I am feeling confident that ipi/nivo will top off a great treament plan and hopefully kick this beast to the curb!!

Lucas
                  Participant

I have an iliac met and just finished 4 rounds of the combo. Very minimal side effects ( fatigue, joint pain.)  my recent scan showed it shrunk in half. It was about the same size as yours. I had previously done Opdivo for a year. 

iskitwo
                      Participant

That is awesome!! This is very encouraging. The pain has gradually been getting worse so I was not surprised with the scan results. I am feeling very optimidtic about the treatment. Thanks for the positive responce!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics