The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

More Surprises

Forums General Melanoma Community More Surprises

Participant

Hello Everyone,

Hello Everyone,

Well this Melanoma is full of surprises.  I went in for my Gamma Knife this last Thursday thinking they were going to zap 5 of my 7 brain mets.  SURPRISE I had 18!!  He said he used double contrast so he could see every little tiny met I had so some of them were less than 1mm but I spent ALL day at the center with that Dang Frame bolted to my head, which by the way was the worst part.  So now I wait for 30 days and I should be brain stable, then another 30 days and I should hopefully be stable to go into a trial.  I'm getting my 3rd infusion of Ipi on August 15th with the last dose on Sept 5th.  This Thursday I will be switching from Z to Dabrafenib, really surprised my insurance covered it. 

The pain in my arm has subsided, just mild tumor pain which I hope is the t-cells attacking but havent noticed much if any decease in the size of the tumor.  It appears to be stable which I will take!

I'm hoping by 1st of October to be in trial for Anti PD 1 if my brain cooperates. 

I'm not having any severe side effects from combining Z with Ipi yet.  I'm taking a Reishi Mushroom supplement which helps protect your liver so I think that's helping.

Just wanted to update everyone on my treatment and share my surprises.

All my best to all,

Denise

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

Oh, Denise! You must have been so shocked and disappointed when you first got that news. Ugh! I'm so sorry that you have to go through all this. 

Frightening and disappointing as this is, I am very glad that your radiation oncologist did go the extra mile to find these small mets. I mean, there were there, anyway. It's better that you know about them and get them zapped now rather than be in blissful ignorance only to have them grow and cause you big problems later on. But still, last Thursday must have been a pretty miserable day for you. 

Like you, I am very hopeful that between the SRS, the ipi and the Zelboraf (soon to be Dabrafenib), you will finally get your brain mets stabilized and be able to start the clinicial trial in October. I'm also glad that your pain has subsided and your side effects are tolerable. I guess the Reishi Mushroom supplement really is working. 

Hang in there. You are still on the path to recovery!

POW
          Participant

Oh, Denise! You must have been so shocked and disappointed when you first got that news. Ugh! I'm so sorry that you have to go through all this. 

Frightening and disappointing as this is, I am very glad that your radiation oncologist did go the extra mile to find these small mets. I mean, there were there, anyway. It's better that you know about them and get them zapped now rather than be in blissful ignorance only to have them grow and cause you big problems later on. But still, last Thursday must have been a pretty miserable day for you. 

Like you, I am very hopeful that between the SRS, the ipi and the Zelboraf (soon to be Dabrafenib), you will finally get your brain mets stabilized and be able to start the clinicial trial in October. I'm also glad that your pain has subsided and your side effects are tolerable. I guess the Reishi Mushroom supplement really is working. 

POW
            Participant

Owl
              Participant

Denise, what disappointing surprises, just good that they were visible and got treated as POW said. You are having a really hard time in your find. From the bottom of my heart I wish that your October plan will work. If not for you, for whome shall this plan work, you are so strong and your positive attitude is admirable.

All the best, Jenny

Owl
                Participant

Denise, what disappointing surprises, just good that they were visible and got treated as POW said. You are having a really hard time in your find. From the bottom of my heart I wish that your October plan will work. If not for you, for whome shall this plan work, you are so strong and your positive attitude is admirable.

All the best, Jenny

Owl
                  Participant

All the best, Jenny

awillett1991
                    Participant
                      Denise – what a shock I’m sure that was – I’m so sorry it worked out that way. I’m so glad they were able to treat them. Are there are Merck PD1 trial openings near you? Mine only required 4 weeks stability in the brain. Continuing to pray for you. Let us all know how the Dabrafenib goes. Lots of people talking about switching but you’re a real pioneer I believe!!

Amy

awillett1991
                      Participant
                        Denise – what a shock I’m sure that was – I’m so sorry it worked out that way. I’m so glad they were able to treat them. Are there are Merck PD1 trial openings near you? Mine only required 4 weeks stability in the brain. Continuing to pray for you. Let us all know how the Dabrafenib goes. Lots of people talking about switching but you’re a real pioneer I believe!!

Amy

awillett1991
                        Participant

Amy

aldakota22
                          Participant

So much on your plate.Still you are in to another course of treatment with Dabrafenib.Praying it does its stuff to get you into the trial.Keep your PMA. Beat the Beast.      Al

aldakota22
                            Participant

So much on your plate.Still you are in to another course of treatment with Dabrafenib.Praying it does its stuff to get you into the trial.Keep your PMA. Beat the Beast.      Al

aldakota22
                              Participant

Everymoment
                                Participant
                                  You are in my evening prayers.
                                  Isabell

Everymoment
                                  Participant
                                    Isabell

Everymoment
                                    Participant
                                      Isabell

Tina D
                                      Participant

Not good surprises ๐Ÿ™   . I am sorry and can imagine how disheartening that was. I am glad they have been dealt with NOW so they weren't a surprise waiting for the next set of scans. So glad you are tolerating the ipi/zel combo! Hoping for stability…or improvement for you over the next weeks and for quick and easy entry into the PD1 trial. Thank you for posting this update, have been wondering how you are faring. Hang in there!!

Tina

Tina D
                                        Participant

Not good surprises ๐Ÿ™   . I am sorry and can imagine how disheartening that was. I am glad they have been dealt with NOW so they weren't a surprise waiting for the next set of scans. So glad you are tolerating the ipi/zel combo! Hoping for stability…or improvement for you over the next weeks and for quick and easy entry into the PD1 trial. Thank you for posting this update, have been wondering how you are faring. Hang in there!!

Tina

Tina D
                                          Participant

Tina

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics